Anecdotal Cam Phaser Noise as it relates to oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kru

Reaction score
Just had mine fixed a few weeks ago. They said they put in the newer design phasers and made sure they noted that on the work order with part numbers. So far, so good after a few weeks. 2019 w 26k when mine went.
Mine is at the dealership right now getting the phaser cold rattle fix. My service manager said they replace the phasers, chain, and cams. That was a surprise to me since I didn't think the cams were part of the replacement but now it appears they are...

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealership right now getting the phaser cold rattle fix. My service manager said they replace the phasers, chain, and cams. That was a surprise to me since I didn't think the cams were part of the replacement but now it appears they are...
That doesn’t make sense. There is no reason to replace cams. Chains are also not necessary and are not included in the TSB.

full-race geoff

Reaction score
That doesn’t make sense. There is no reason to replace cams. Chains are also not necessary and are not included in the TSB.

The plastic timing chain guides, harmonic balancer, rockers, lifters and tensioners are also not included in the TSB, and all are a really good idea to replace

The reason to replace chains is they stretch and it appears techs are not measuring them bc ‘they’re not included in the tsb’

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The plastic timing chain guides, harmonic balancer, rockers, lifters and tensioners are also not included in the TSB, and all are a really good idea to replace

The reason to replace chains is they stretch and it appears techs are not measuring them bc ‘they’re not included in the tsb’
Not replacing the chains and guides while they are in there is stupid. Ford is doing it as cheaply as possible, which is SOP.

The chains begin wearing from day one, which makes them longer- ie "stretched" (they don't actually stretch- steel is perfectly elastic).

The plastic guides, any plastic bathed in hot oil for thousands of miles is a lot further along to it's ultimate failure than it was prior to that exposure.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are way over estimating how much a timing chain wears. They are not problematic on these engines. If you want to throw money at it, by all means. But chains aren't necessary. Neither are rockers, etc.

The guides are made of plastic that is designed to be bathed in hot oil, and again, they are not a problem area on these engines. These aren't first gen Nissan VQ35's that wear everything out in 60k miles.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would possibly re-use the chains, but not the guides.

I don't care if it's rated for it or not, if it's my engine with the front cover off, all of the parts that are plastic/partially plastic are getting replaced.

It's good to hear the guides are not problematic- but they do wear.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a 15 min job... if you are there, and have any real miles on the engine, why would you NOT use better parts? Ford didn't up date the shit in later generations for the hell of it. Why do you change brake pads and rotors together. Yes they are consumables, but also have worn in as a "matched set". Can you get away with not doing it? ALL of the time. But doesn't make it the best idea.

Kru

Reaction score
It was the service manager's lack of knowledge. They didn't replace the CAM shafts. When I picked the truck up today and looked at the repair list, they only replaced the phasers (2 of the ML3Z-6C525-A, and 2 of the ML3Z-6256-A). Luckily I had purchased an extended warranty when I purchased the truck so everything was covered.