650 miles - CV busted - normal driving all on road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Damn I hate to hear this stuff. My fear is it could be 2-3 months. Hell they can barely get parts for 'simple' things these days.

Anyone else have this issue that can provide time frame for fix?

Assume you opened case with Ford? Are they giving you a car to drive until fixed.

Last edited:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the CV boot different throughout the Gens? Can't believe there isn't a boot available anywhere.
I imagine they want to replace the cv axle assembly and not re-grease/put a new boot on the existing axle.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well how about replace the boot and run it until an axle comes in. Give the customer back his truck.
I’m with ya. I’ve also taken a lot of cv axles apart, so maybe I’m not the best to ask.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they’re gonna replace the whole axle just drive it with the torn boot. I wouldn’t do any water crossing but it would be fine for normal driving for a bit. Could also always put one of those split repair boots or even wrap a section of a tire inner tube and zip tie it to “seal” up the torn boot temporarily. I’m also sure someone makes an aftermarket boot kit if you want to pull the axle.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sucks with it being so new. Hopefully they can get you going pretty quickly. I had my timing cover crack on my '20 with just a few hundred miles. Looked like a bad casting, nobody had ever seen one go like mine. They had me in a loaner immediately and had it back in a week or so.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes - 23.

Don’t manufacturers have some responsibility to make parts available if a car breaks so quick?
Haha that is funny AF.

I have vehicles at my shop waiting on parts for pushing 10 months.

if a part does NOT and I mean does NOT exist what do you want the manufacturer to do?
I will give some examples.
First you have to understand, the manufacturers Ford, GM, Toyota, etc......
Don't actually manufacturer anything but bodies/frames. Engines and transmissions at the most. And even then parts of engines and transmission can and are supplied by subcontractors.

I waited 10 months for a 3.5 ecoboost engine from Ford for one of my customers. The engine remanufacturing facility actually does engines for most manufacturers and for many aftermarket outlets as well.

When I talked to the plant manager once he explained they had 3500 ecoboost engines waiting on timing chain components.

That he could source the components from other sources (china) that were not certified supplier's. He also explained that O'Reilly, Napa, and others had signed off on that but that FOMOCO would not until they could test the uncertified parts to make sure they met FOMOCO quality.

Next

I am waiting on an oil pan for a 2.7 ecoboost. My understanding is that there are over 7000 on back order. That the machine thay makes the oil pan has broken and that the machine that makes replacement part for the machine that makes the oil pan has Broken and as such the subcontractor can only supply about 75 oil pans a week to the entire nation. While the requirement is about 300+ a week.

There is 0 and I mean 0 support for aftermarket 2.7 oil pans. As a company it would cost about 30 million and at least 8 months to get into the 2.7 oil pan business.

People need to grasp 2019 is Ephing over and I ain't sure it will ever be that way again.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they’re gonna replace the whole axle just drive it with the torn boot. I wouldn’t do any water crossing but it would be fine for normal driving for a bit. Could also always put one of those split repair boots or even wrap a section of a tire inner tube and zip tie it to “seal” up the torn boot temporarily. I’m also sure someone makes an aftermarket boot kit if you want to pull the axle.
Ephing run it, it ain't going to catastrophically fail for years. People act like torn boot equals explosion in 20 miles.

I have seen people not replace an axle.for years due to budget issues.

Have them order and axle and tell them to call you when it is in.

In the mean time, beat the hell out of it.

OP
OP
R

Raptor37noadm

Reaction score
They want to replace entire axle and assembly.

I know they cannot sell a car with a warranty and then not honor that warranty. Back order or not - they will be giving me a new truck comparable to drive / and/or paying my car payments. If not - they can buy it back.

They can’t let it sit for months.

Ford corporate said they elevated the request to emergency. So we will see.