4 SALE : Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dawson I got a couple questions about cold weather ignition and if I should up the fuse amperage to get good ignition on both headlights in the sub zero temps I'm experiencing right now

Upping the fuses will have no impact on amp draw, nor will it help with ignition. Good luck.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dawson I got a couple questions about cold weather ignition and if I should up the fuse amperage to get good ignition on both headlights in the sub zero temps I'm experiencing right now

what size fuse r u currently using? u shouldnt just up fuse sizes. if the wire isnt rated to be fused at the higher amperage u could burn up the wire and possibly components.

r u having issues now?

ironside

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what size fuse r u currently using? u shouldnt just up fuse sizes. if the wire isnt rated to be fused at the higher amperage u could burn up the wire and possibly components.

r u having issues now?

With the temps getting down to 10 below or less im having ignition issues usually only one will fire and I have to cycle the switch to get the drivers side fire.

Also it's around -20f

ironside

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ sounds like you are testing the limits.
Check your moroto wire harness to ensure you have a good connection. The pins may be getting coroded.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Will do. I just remember someone telling me with a plug and play kit to up the fuse 5 amps cause ur only using one side to power the kit. I know im on the edge and I know it's something I should have researched more when I bought them but so far I can get at least one side to fire and that is almost more light than both stock halogens.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. I just remember someone telling me with a plug and play kit to up the fuse 5 amps cause ur only using one side to power the kit. I know im on the edge and I know it's something I should have researched more when I bought them but so far I can get at least one side to fire and that is almost more light than both stock halogens.
If you have retrofits from Dawson, they are not a plug & play kit. You have a dedicated power wire run directly to the battery for the power to the relay and are using the factory headlight wiring only to power the relay coil. A "Plug & Play", by definition simply plugs in without any additional grounds and you don't run a power wire to the battery.
If you have a retrofit from Dawson, first confirm that the grounds are OK, then check the pins on the relay and the harness for any corrosion, a common issue unfortunately. To fix the problem long term, consider buying the latest Motocontrol H13 relay/harness kit from The Retrofit Resource Store, Dawson probably has them now as well. It is $35 and the relay/harness connection is now waterproof as is the fuse holder. The new relay has two improvements, 1. it gets away from the tiny pins increasing their contact area and, 2. the relay to wiring harness connection is now waterproof. I'm confident that updating to the latest harness and verifying that you've got solid grounds will finally make my, and your retros bulletproof. Good luck resolving this issue.

ironside

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have retrofits from Dawson, they are not a plug & play kit. You have a dedicated power wire run directly to the battery for the power to the relay and are using the factory headlight wiring only to power the relay coil. A "Plug & Play", by definition simply plugs in without any additional grounds and you don't run a power wire to the battery.
If you have a retrofit from Dawson, first confirm that the grounds are OK, then check the pins on the relay and the harness for any corrosion, a common issue unfortunately. To fix the problem long term, consider buying the latest Motocontrol H13 relay/harness kit from The Retrofit Resource Store, Dawson probably has them now as well. It is $35 and the relay/harness connection is now waterproof as is the fuse holder. The new relay has two improvements, 1. it gets away from the tiny pins increasing their contact area and, 2. the relay to wiring harness connection is now waterproof. I'm confident that updating to the latest harness and verifying that you've got solid grounds will finally make my, and your retros bulletproof. Good luck resolving this issue.

I have retrofits from Dawson once it warms up a little I will check all those things. Right now the wind chills are around 40 below so I'm just staying inside for now

TRSNate

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ironside, It sounds to me like there might be an issue with the ignitor in one of you ballasts. The ballasts are tested to work all the way down to -50º F, so there should be absolutely no issue.

I believe that Dawson is currently taking some much needed vacation out of the country, I can promise that we will get this worked out as soon as he is back.

In the mean time, you are not going to hurt anything by turning the headlights on and off until both ballasts fire.

Thank you!

Nate @ TRS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatguyfromford