2013 Headlight Bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krypt0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cUIV3UO.jpg

Ok everyone. Here is a write-up/comparison/review of the PIAA ALSTARE 6000 D3S 6000K HID headlight bulbs installed in my 2013 SVT Raptor.
Thanks to my buddy Nicholas for helping (A.K.A doing all the work) while I snapped these pictures and drank beer.

As many of you know, the best color/temperature for maximum visible light with HID Xenon bulbs is around 4300 Kelvin (4300K).
This is why most vehicles with factory HID Xenon headlights come with bulbs in that range. (I've owned several cars recently with HID's and they all came with ~4300K bulbs; BMW e92 335i, two Audi B5S4's and the 2013 SVT Raptor)

I wanted more of a "blue/white" light projected from the headlights instead of the "yellowish" tint from the OEM bulbs.
However, I will be sacrificing usable (visible) light for the sake of having the cooler white-blue light

Below is a write-up of what I did to change the bulbs. This is for entertainment purposes only and I take no responsibility for anything you might break/damage/catch fire/etc.

__________[HEADLIGHT HOUSING REMOVAL]__________
1) Remove the push tab from the rubber mat and let it fall out of the way (not pictured)

2) Remove the 3 10MM bolts that secure the entire headlight assembly.
8ElnWKI.jpg

3) Pull the assembly out (towards the front of the truck) and disconnect the 3 plugs from the headlight wiring. The entire headlight housing assembly should free.
stlejaa.jpg

__________[HEADLIGHT BULB REPLACEMENT]__________
4) Move the entire headlight housing to a workbench and pull the dust/water cover from the bulb area.
It would be a good idea to lay down a microfiber towel or something similar on the workbench to avoid scratching the front.

5) Remove the plug from the actual bulb and then the T10 screws that hold the bulb into place.
oCQTfJK.jpg

6) Carefully remove the "C" shaped mounting bracket that is on the OEM bulb and move it to the new one.
Make sure the connector is facing the same way (not pictured)
bg2lb84.jpg

7) Re-install the bulb into the housing. (T10 screws and plug)
Double check everything is tight and installed correctly
xdURclK.jpg

8) Put dust/water cover back on the bulb area

9) Fasten the 3 plugs for headlight wiring and tighten down the 10mm bolts to secure the headlight assembly.
Make sure the assembly snaps back into place and securely fastened.

10) Follow the same procedure for the other side.

__________[HEADLIGHT BULB COMPARISON]__________

ERtZRkg.jpg
He3mqhb.jpg

GBAPUQM.jpg
Cp3IpeE.jpg

iqLnKhy.jpg

NcUHSgY.jpg

dKccZ9o.jpg
WHmY7xB.jpg

DuQE4IM.jpg
RGvBNF0.jpg

QuM97IT.jpg
ZekE3gx.jpg

Note: The last 6 images were taken on 2 different days at slightly different locations.
The objects illuminated are not necessarily the same distance away from the truck in each picture.

__________[SUMMARY]__________

TLDR/Cliff Notes: Overall, I'm glad I installed them.

As you can see in the outdoor pictures, there is a loss in visible light after installing the PIAA bulbs. I did expect this, so it's no surprise to me.
I plan to install a light bar in the front bumper that will easily compensate for any loss of visible light output.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome write up! And great pictures! I definitely like the look and color of the PIAA bulbs more than stock. However actual light output doesn't seem any better.

krypt0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey krypt0 the C shaped clamp is that screwed on or do u just carefully slide it off?

It just slides off. Flat head screwdriver worked.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

So, am I right in that the PIAA bulbs cost ALLOT more & perform less than stock? :confused:

Yes that is correct.
The only advantages with these bulbs are the color output (for looks only) and they no longer jitter/flicker over bumps like the OEM bulbs did. (Post here about that)