2013 Headlight Bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I honestly just want my headlights to have a wider throw. The narrow coverage they have stock seems ridiculous based on how big the vehicle is IMO. Whenever I take a sharp turn I'm always turning into a dark spot rather than a spot that is covered by the headlights.

RajunCajun37

Banned
Reaction score
HID and LED and Plasma bulbs and some Xenon bulbs in non-projection housing is for the birds.

Stock halogen bulb replacement is tough. Only the Philips Extreme Vision 100's help. Little more light, little brighter, little whiter and better placement and focus. I'm happy with them cause it cost me $40. Hard to find in the H13 cause it's a German made bulb. Get the 100's not the 80's

krypt0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent write up Krypt0.

I like those bulbs, but I would hate to spend that much for a test. What do you think abou these as a Korean alternative ?

BLESK D3S HID BULBS

I'm sure they would work ok. Plan on either ordering two sets or keeping your OEM bulbs handy though. Cheap bulbs like to flicker quite a bit and tend to have a very short life.

Keep us updated if you decide to buy and install them though.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly just want my headlights to have a wider throw. The narrow coverage they have stock seems ridiculous based on how big the vehicle is IMO. Whenever I take a sharp turn I'm always turning into a dark spot rather than a spot that is covered by the headlights.

Sadly the only way to get better width is a different projector. It's a shame Ford didn't develop a top shelf, D2S compatible projector with a wide beam for the F150!

InMotionJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up!

One question. The lights look purple in the picture. Is that just from the photography innacuracy or are they really that purplish color?

I also hate the yellowish light output of the stock 13 projectors and would like a crisp bluish white light.

krypt0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up!

One question. The lights look purple in the picture. Is that just from the photography innacuracy or are they really that purplish color?

I also hate the yellowish light output of the stock 13 projectors and would like a crisp bluish white light.

The purple color is fairly close to what they looked like at the time those pictures were taken.
After a few weeks of use, they lost most of the purple tint and now are a very nice looking white with a bit of blue.

There is however a slightly annoying downside to these PIAA bulbs. When the outside temperature is cold, occasionally one of the bulbs won't ignite the first time and you need to turn the headlights off, then back on. As you can imagine, it's a pain in the butt to have to check both bulbs are on every time you use the headlights. Too bad you don't get a warning light/notice if one of the headlight bulbs isn't working.

This seems to be a low voltage problem, but because I never had that issue with OEM bulbs, I'm guessing it probably is the PIAA bulbs.

krypt0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Ever since I installed these PIAA bulbs a few months ago, I've been having intermittent problems with one (or both) of the bulbs not igniting when turned on.

This forced me to physically get out of the truck each time I turned the headlight switch on and make sure they both worked.
On a recent road trip out of my home state, it took 3-4 tries before either of the bulbs ignited. This really concerned me and made my decision to revert back to OEM bulbs.

I really did like the light output color of the PIAA's, but I can't trust them for any sort of reliability.
Overall, I would be very hesitant to recommend these to anyone due to apparent cheap or weak ignitors in the PIAA bulbs.