2013 Gen 1 Raptor Alternator Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aib3

Reaction score
Yikes. Hope the damage wasn’t too bad. Fire started at the alternator?
Yeah. Luckily I had an extinguisher handy and put it out before it got to everything. Geico trying to replace it with some cheap after market alternator. ‍♂️ it’s about 6k in repairs the shop said. Hopefully I get her back soon. Thanks for all the help y’all

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I had my 2011 model rebuilt (in 2022) the local shop I was referred to charged $50+$100 for the rebuild kit+labor. I'm not sure what those rates are today, and I don't think I'd want a burnt unit rebuilt, but that seems like a fair price for a bench rebuild.

aib3

Reaction score
got the truck back yesterday with a bunch of new OEM parts and Geico covered it all. i guess the fire was a blessing in disguise. items replaced: Alternator w belt, wire harness, air intake air cleaner and hose, hood insulation, and battery. they cleaned out the engine bay.
My mechanic said that the Yellow Optima battery i had in could have weakened the alternator or something. said sometimes the alternator could work too hard to charge up a bigger battery. interesting at least. never thought of that as being an issue.
now just waiting on plugs coil boots and wires so that my brother ( has a gen 1 as well ) I can tackle the spark plug project.
wish us luck!
and thanks again everyone for the support.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did they rebuild your original alternator (and keep the oem case) or was it too far gone to reuse?