2010 SVT 5.4 Exhaust Manifold help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chriscobo29

Reaction score
2010 SVT 5.4 Scab, 164,000mi.
I have a crack in my exhaust manifold, driver side. I purchased Dormans from RA, I knew it would a PITA job, but this one turned out to be more difficult than I anticipated. I started with the passenger side first, practice run. I need to remove the starter to access the lower studs of the manifold. I cant remove the starter because the frame, motor mount bracket, and shock tower are in the way. I realize now that I have to jack up the motor to get it out, my questions are:

• How much can I jack up the motor before I break something, and what should I disconnect before lifting?
  • Has anyone had to do this ona 5.4 Raptor and how did you go about it?

Last edited:

Marlboroman

Reaction score
You’re in over your head if you are stuck on that or unwilling to make room to work. Stop now before you run into seized bolts in the head and put whatever you have off back together. Take it to a reputable shop or live with it. Not trying to be mean man but it’s more than a few bolts worth of work and if you don’t have a clue or a lift you’re better off bowing out. Good luck and be careful.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a Raptor...
But did an older 5.4 in an earlier Expedition, and remember taking the front tire and plastic fender well liner out.
Even though it was a pain, had access to the head studs that way.
And the exhaust pipe hook up was got at by laying on back underneath.
I recall getting the rusted/broken stud pieces out of the head as the worst part of the job.

OP
OP
C

chriscobo29

Reaction score
You’re in over your head if you are stuck on that or unwilling to make room to work. Stop now before you run into seized bolts in the head and put whatever you have off back together. Take it to a reputable shop or live with it. Not trying to be mean man but it’s more than a few bolts worth of work and if you don’t have a clue or a lift you’re better off bowing out. Good luck and be careful.
I am very willing and definitely not stuck, I was just looking for some pointers on jacking up the motor before I jumped in. I am prepared to extract any and all studs that are seized or broken. Just for the record, I had the truck put together and back on the road that night.

I didn't realize this forum was for professional mechanics only. I will take my amateur questions somewhere else.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
I am very willing and definitely not stuck, I was just looking for some pointers on jacking up the motor before I jumped in. I am prepared to extract any and all studs that are seized or broken. Just for the record, I had the truck put together and back on the road that night.

I didn't realize this forum was for professional mechanics only. I will take my amateur questions somewhere else.

Glad you got it sorted. My response was genuine and can’t tell your skill level over the web but based on your questions felt obligated to make you think twice before getting into a bad spot. This is a thick skinned type of forum especially this section. All the best to ya man.