GEN 1 2010 6.2l Raptor for desert trails/daily vs '11-14! HELP NEEDED!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B63

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new member and looking into buying a fully loaded 2010 6.2l Raptor SCAB with 30.5k miles on it (low for a 2010). First owner bought it from the dealer and allegedly never took it off-road (used it as a mall crawler and second owner is looking to sell it because gas is killing him).

I've always loved the Raptors especially the Gen1 V8s! I go on a lot of hikes and camping trips (desert/mountains) and I need something that can take me anywhere and do fun desert trails (I'm not into any hard core off-roading/rock crawling). I also plan to use it as daily a lot of the time.

IMG_8214.jpg

I've done some research on this forum the past few days but I need some help from raptor owners.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/raptor-changes-year-by-year.15443/

I've read some mixed views on the 2010 vs newer models, some swear by the 2010 6.2l and others recommend going for the newer models. My main concern here is the lack of features compared to the new models i.e foldable mirrors (narrow streets/office parking), front camera(trails), remote start and newer NAV/infotainment (connect front camera + better interface).

1. Are there any MAJOR reasons why I should not get a 2010 over 2011-2014 other than additional options?
  2. Remote start - better option than OEM? https://accessories.ford.com/electr...ote-start-bi-directional-100-series-8889.html
  3. How easy would it be to install the below items?
  • Foldable mirrors
  • Front camera
  • Apple CarPlay
This is by far the cleanest Raptor SCAB I've been able to find as most of them have either high mileage or are in bad condition or are SCREWS. The owner says that there are no issues with the truck and it's been dealer serviced (TBD after inspection this week) he also upgraded the headlights, added nano ceramic paint protection and a new tonneau cover.

Below are some pictures.

I would really appreciate any feedback and advice. Thank you

Front.jpg Side.jpg Back.jpg Console.jpg

Last edited:

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Clean looking truck. The '10 didn't have the torsion front end, and the rear axles weren't upgraded to 35 splines. For your purposes, that truck will probably be fine.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half the battle is getting a rig in good condition, and what I can see in your photos is pretty nice... For your stated goals, I think its a good buy, I would do it.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful truck, that's a nice find. I agree with @Sozzy12 and personally I would go for it. To your questions specifically:
1. I don't think so, as you know the main things are the Torsen front diff, HID headlamps, and earlier Sync; nothing that's a deal breaker in my eyes. The cooled seats...that might be tough.
2. Remote start is very nice to have, you could go aftermarket with an alarm system, and there might be a possibility that you can add OEM either like you found or as is on '11 or '12 and up.
3. Foldable mirrors-not sure what it would take to retrofit from a later model, depends on if the BCM involved how much it would cost, I'd just fold them manually.
Front camera-probably be easier to rig up an OEM front camera from a later model and go with an aftermarket stereo head unit that has the capability...honestly though they aren't that useful.
Apple Carplay-again your best bet is a good quality aftermarket HU, but that's just my opinion.

Looks really well taken care of from the pics, have you driven it and crawled around underneath to see if it's as clean as claimed? Does the cab and bed line up? Good luck.

OP
OP
B63

B63

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies!

I went to see the Raptor today for the first time, the exterior is very well maintained but the interior however not so much especially the seats and doors. The seats looks like they've been through a lot (tears in the driver side), not the seat condition of a 30k truck, which makes me a bit uneasy about the truck! The passenger door handle is broken and the check engine light is on apparently because the owner fills it with cheap gas! I will take it to the dealer and a 3rd party inspector to double check everything but they might have tampered with the actual odometer miles (happens a lot here).

1. @BenBB @Sozzy12 I don't think the Torsen diff is a big deal for me as you guys have mentioned. I could always retrofit one if needed, I've seen bunch of guys do it. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4204-T31
  2. Remote start shouldn't be an issue I just heard the OEM one only worked from close distances
  3. I could always fold them manually but its hard when you're driving in narrow streets or garages
  4. An after market head unit will do the trick for both Apple CarPlay and the front camera (quite useful on trails for me at least) https://www.navtool.com/ford-f-150-2009-2012-apple-carplay.aspx or maybe a Kenwood/Alpine unit
I drove it and everything seemed ok but I'll test drive it properly during the inspection and check the underneath etc. I will keep you posted after the inspection this week.
Thanks again!

OP
OP
B63

B63

Reaction score
Looks very clean but what is the asking price?

$31.7k Raptors here don't really hold their value as much as they do in the US, we also have high customs on cars but a bit lower for trucks! Brand new loaded 2019 Raptor SCREW is $110k and around $100k for a SCAB.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies!

I went to see the Raptor today for the first time, the exterior is very well maintained but the interior however not so much especially the seats and doors. The seats looks like they've been through a lot (tears in the driver side), not the seat condition of a 30k truck, which makes me a bit uneasy about the truck! The passenger door handle is broken and the check engine light is on apparently because the owner fills it with cheap gas! I will take it to the dealer and a 3rd party inspector to double check everything but they might have tampered with the actual odometer miles (happens a lot here).

1. @BenBB @Sozzy12 I don't think the Torsen diff is a big deal for me as you guys have mentioned. I could always retrofit one if needed, I've seen bunch of guys do it. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-4204-T31
  2. Remote start shouldn't be an issue I just heard the OEM one only worked from close distances
  3. I could always fold them manually but its hard when you're driving in narrow streets or garages
  4. An after market head unit will do the trick for both Apple CarPlay and the front camera (quite useful on trails for me at least) https://www.navtool.com/ford-f-150-2009-2012-apple-carplay.aspx or maybe a Kenwood/Alpine unit
I drove it and everything seemed ok but I'll test drive it properly during the inspection and check the underneath etc. I will keep you posted after the inspection this week.
Thanks again!
:imo:
I'd go with my first gut reaction after seeing it... "makes me a bit uneasy about the truck!"... Usually that "feeling" stays with you after you buy it ....we are not talking about a $2K truck...its big bucks and you had better LOVE IT...all of it...or you will kick yourself down the road...
I agree..30K and trashed inside...and Cheap Gas-Engine Light sure isnt a good sign...Ya know...there are 30K of easy miles and 30K of HARD miles.....always made me laugh,being originally from NYC area.....would I want a truck that got its 30K sitting in stop and go traffic..Or even worst..30K of all Off-Road....or would I want one with 30K of highway miles.....
I bought my 2014 a few months ago...50K and inside and out,including Engine compartment looks like a Truck right off the showroom floor.

dnewman

Reaction score
I think it is good looking truck but that could be hiding the real problems with it i would have it check out closely i bought my 2012 raptor it had 45000 miles clean outside clean inside like showroom just keep looking around and fond one good inside and out find one already has everything u want i would keep looking but up to you brother good luck