GEN 2 100K mile suspension refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so right up front, I want to caveat that I don’t want to run too far down the rabbit hole with this (hopefully) minor refresh and update…been there, done that with race cars and bikes, shooting sports, dirt bikes, etc.

I just rolled over 100K miles on my ‘18 SCAB, and want to go through the suspension a bit, upgrading as necessary, but trying to keep it stock(ish)…at least for ride height, general vehicle dynamics, etc.

Shocks are being rebuilt/upgraded by TSW right now, and have some +3 HD Deavers in progress as well to match the 1.5” RPG collars I already have on the truck. TSW has a set of their top hats with my name on them as well, but they don’t have the correct bearings in stock right now…would have been nice to put them on when they R&R my shocks.

I’m also going to do a road trip from Tejas to SoCal in about 3 weeks to pick them up at Deaver. So, why the almost 3K mile round trip drive?

Well, I’m taking this truck in a slightly different direction… I already have a truck to tow with, but I like the idea of being able to hook up a small camper or bike/SxS trailer, or even a boat to my Raptor, then unhooking it when I get to my destination, and still having the ability to do some mild (by Raptor standards) off-road driving in my Raptor…unencumbered by air bags, etc.

The only setup I’m aware of that allows me to do this without compromise is the tow assist kit done by Izzy Fab out near LA. I remember reading about this kit a couple years ago when a member here had the prototype installed…sorry don’t recall who it was…and the idea just stuck with me. I finally called Izzy up a couple days ago and got the ball rolling.

Also gonna have him drop in a fuel cell to help expand the range of my SCAB. This is the primary reason I went with +3HD springs vs. +2 standard duty springs. His 32-gallon setup using a JAZ fuel cell is what’s planned for now, but I asked him to see how big we could go while still keeping it all between the rails, and under the stock truck bed.

I’d love to do something like this setup, which I believe is on the HM long-travel rig of member @06z

IMG_6258.jpeg

…but again, don’t want to go too crazy with this build. I want to keep it between the stock rails, and below the stock bed, and I’m not sure I can go that far without basically rebuilding everything aft of the cab. @06z if that is your truck, can you post any details? How big is the tank? Any issues using your fuel gauge with that setup?

For all: Anything else other than just replacing shit that breaks as I break it? Gonna do some RPG 1/2 tie rod ends in anticipation of some better brakes at some point too.

What else suspension related should I be looking at right now?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"but again, don't want to go too crazy with this build"

Good luck with that. But seriously, I'd at least consider these instead of swapping in a new fuel tank. When you need to carry more fuel, just bundle them together and you're set. I'd rather lend out one of them on the trail to a friend than have him try and siphon gas out of my tank. Plus, if the only fuel available is sketchy, (like in Baja), I'd rather put it in one of those and wait until I needed it than potentially contaminate my tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240712-045843_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240712-045843_Chrome.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3

06z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@06z if that is your truck, can you post any details? How big is the tank? Any issues using your fuel gauge with that setup?

I believe it is around 43-45 gallon but the foam does reduce it a little bit. I haven't run it dry yet, one day I will throw in a five gallon can in the bed and see. These fuel cells have gone way up in price the last few years. Also having this weight so far back makes a massive difference in how she handles.

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"but again, don't want to go too crazy with this build"

Good luck with that. But seriously, I'd at least consider these instead of swapping in a new fuel tank. When you need to carry more fuel, just bundle them together and you're set. I'd rather lend out one of them on the trail to a friend than have him try and siphon gas out of my tank. Plus, if the only fuel available is sketchy, (like in Baja), I'd rather put it in one of those and wait until I needed it than potentially contaminate my tank.
Agree, and that was my first plan. But then I thought “Why not compromise the American way?”

...and do both!

Edit: And also, not to open what will surely be a Pandora’s box, I have this idea rolling around in the back of my mind to do a normally-aspirated Coyote V8 motor swap once the stock motor finally fails, or simply gets to the point where it’s time to do a complete overhaul. And at 100K miles, I’m probably closer to that point than I think.

I want a strong beast, but don’t need 600+ HP for my needs. I like the idea of a normally aspirated motor pushing 500(ish) HP for simplicity and what should be some small weight savings up front…turbos or a supercharger, an intercooler, and all the associated valves , tubing, etc. adds up fast. Gives me a better weight distribution that way, better options for increased cooling capacity, and/or allows me to run a winch up front without as much of a weight penalty.

The physical motor will fit pretty easily with some fab work, and getting it to run is very easy too…the transmission is a slightly tougher nut to crack, but doable as well.

Getting the truck to talk to the motor is where I’m getting stuck. I can probably do a complete ECU and harness swap to a V8 truck…maybe a Raptor R ECU and harness…but there would still be a ton of custom wiring and tuning work that, frankly, makes my head hurt.

If Ford would make another Supercab model for the Raptor R, this would be moot…I’d buy that truck in a heartbeat.

What would be cool is for them to do a normally aspirated vs supercharged Raptor R as a super cab, or even as a regular cab, and strip it down…no moon roof, no sound system (but wiring in place for radios), etc. That would be the perfect platform for me, and would still retain the supercharged V8 Raptor R as the “halo” vehicle for their marketing folks.

Haven’t started looking yet, but has anyone done a V8 swap into a Raptor? I vaguely recall someone here in Texas doing a Raptor suspension/frame work build up on V8 trucks a few years ago, but lost track and lost interest when I realized I still couldn’t get the Supercab configuration that way.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Edit: And also, not to open what will surely be a Pandora’s box, at 100K miles, I have this idea rolling around in the back of my mind to do a normally-aspirated Coyote V8 motor swap once the stock motor finally fails, or simply gets to the point where it’s time to do a complete overhaul.
So you like 17 second quarter mile times?

have you seen the torque curve of a Coyote? Did someone say “torque deficit”?
Godzilla 7.3? Ok, not as bad. But a Coyote is way over its head with a 3 ton truck unless it’s supercharged.

Stick with the Eco, unless you want to dump 20 grand into making it work, on top of the motor / trans.

OP
OP
91Eunos

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LoL…not concerned one bit about 1/4 mile times, but want enough power to move quickly when necessary, especially in the mid range.

You raise an extremely valid point though, and now that I’ve been pondering it a bit, realize that’s the primary reason I stopped looking into this a couple years ago.

There you go @smurfslayer using logic and sound reasoning to approach a potential problem set! This is a truck forum man, and that kind of approach just isn’t done! We need the irrational expenditure of cubic dollars to solve a problem while meeting emotional needs, not common sense!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Look at some UCA while you have it ripped apart. I would have suggested SDI e-click but you already have the shocks being worked on.

Edit: Might want to look at better brakes also.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
but has anyone done a V8 swap into a Raptor? I vaguely recall someone here in Texas doing a Raptor suspension/frame work build up on V8 trucks
Hennessey does more V8 Raptor swaps than anyone else. I bet they could sell you only what you need without the hideous exterior trim.