Shocks shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmfedie

Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my first raptor...2019 with just over 90k on it. During the purchasing period I went through the Carfax service history and didn't see anything about shock rebuild/replacement so assume this hasn't been done. After reading other forums it seems like they should be shot by this point, but since it is my first raptor I have no idea what the fox live valves should feel like. I feel every little bump...and I read somewhere that when the shocks fail, they default to full dampening...so is that what I am feeling? What am I looking for to know if they need rebuilding/replacement? Anything I can easily do at home? Emphasizing easily since I am definitely not a mechanic. Appreciate any guidance!

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my first raptor...2019 with just over 90k on it. During the purchasing period I went through the Carfax service history and didn't see anything about shock rebuild/replacement so assume this hasn't been done. After reading other forums it seems like they should be shot by this point, but since it is my first raptor I have no idea what the fox live valves should feel like. I feel every little bump...and I read somewhere that when the shocks fail, they default to full dampening...so is that what I am feeling? What am I looking for to know if they need rebuilding/replacement? Anything I can easily do at home? Emphasizing easily since I am definitely not a mechanic. Appreciate any guidance!
Shock rebuild could very of been done and not show up on the car-fax. Feeling every little bump... could be a thousand possibilities. Do you see any visible signs of the shocks leaking?

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your tire pressure set at. If its been serviced they likely filled to the door jam pressures or higher. You don't want 38+ PSI...you'll feel a lot of little bumps.

OP
OP
J

jmfedie

Reaction score
Shock rebuild could very of been done and not show up on the car-fax. Feeling every little bump... could be a thousand possibilities. Do you see any visible signs of the shocks leaking?
No, no visible signs. I just don't have any frame of reference...my 2017 Tahoe felt like this and I know these shocks are much beefier than those were.

OP
OP
J

jmfedie

Reaction score
What is your tire pressure set at. If its been serviced they likely filled to the door jam pressures or higher. You don't want 38+ PSI...you'll feel a lot of little bumps.
Good thinking, two of the tires are at 39, the other two or 35/34. So not extremely high.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it helps, I had a similar question recently. The overwhelming majority of the responses pointed to the shocks needing to be rebuilt.

Mine is a 2019 with only 36k miles.

I sent them off for rebuild recently, just waiting to get them back to confirm if the shock rebuild was in fact the case. I will update my thread once I get the shocks back on. They should be on the way back tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

jmfedie

Reaction score
If it helps, I had a similar question recently. The overwhelming majority of the responses pointed to the shocks needing to be rebuilt.

Mine is a 2019 with only 36k miles.

I sent them off for rebuild recently, just waiting to get them back to confirm if the shock rebuild was in fact the case. I will update my thread once I get the shocks back on. They should be on the way back tomorrow.

That would be great...appreciate it. The biggest issue for me is not having a point of reference to what it should feel like...what 'normal' is.