Extended Engine Cranking when starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealership kept it for 3 days and said "could not reproduce" and sent me packing. They "pulled" logs and diags and found nothing.

I just doubt they really did anything unfortunately because it doesnt throw a CEL when it takes forever to start.

It sounds like there no cylinder pressure when it cranks like that.

Not defending the dealership but since I’m the Service Director for a Porsche store, I’ll give you some feedback.

If we don’t have a fault in the DME and/or not able to duplicate the concern then the manufacturer will not pay for any repairs since we don’t show anything to support why we did XYZ. It sucks from our end because we can’t fix the customers concern yet we are always the one to have fingers pointed towards us as if we don’t want to help them. My techs don’t get paid unless they make a repair.

Since the first day of taking delivery of my 24 R last week, it’s only happened one additional time and that was yesterday. We stopped to let my kids use the restroom and the truck was parked for maybe 10-15 mins. Went to start it and the delayed start happened again. It doesn’t happen on cold starts or if the truck sits for 30 mins or more. No check engine light or rough running conditions either. It almost sounds like vapor lock, imo.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not defending the dealership but since I’m the Service Director for a Porsche store, I’ll give you some feedback.

If we don’t have a fault in the DME and/or not able to duplicate the concern then the manufacturer will not pay for any repairs since we don’t show anything to support why we did XYZ. It sucks from our end because we can’t fix the customers concern yet we are always the one to have fingers pointed towards us as if we don’t want to help them. My techs don’t get paid unless they make a repair.

Since the first day of taking delivery of my 24 R last week, it’s only happened one additional time and that was yesterday. We stopped to let my kids use the restroom and the truck was parked for maybe 10-15 mins. Went to start it and the delayed start happened again. It doesn’t happen on cold starts or if the truck sits for 30 mins or more. No check engine light or rough running conditions either. It almost sounds like vapor lock, imo.
I complete understand what your saying and the logic behind it. The worst part is the customer goes home without the issue resolved and left feeling like nothing was done. Not sure what’s causing the delayed starting issue but if it continues, is the delayed start (fuel pressure loss, vapor lock, etc) causing collateral damage?

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I just had it happen for the first time at 340 miles after running the tank bone dry to weigh the truck. Happened when I started it at the gas station after filling up. Personally I think it’s vapor lock and I’d be curious if you guys are experiencing it more in hotter climates and with low fuel tank levels.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I complete understand what your saying and the logic behind it. The worst part is the customer goes home without the issue resolved and left feeling like nothing was done. Not sure what’s causing the delayed starting issue but if it continues, is the delayed start (fuel pressure loss, vapor lock, etc) causing collateral damage?

That’s a great question. I haven’t seen a car come in with mechanical damage due to vapor lock but I’ll ask my Shop Foremans for their feedback.

mtnghost

Reaction score
These new engines are direct injected so maybe it has something to do with pressure loss in the high pressure system. I’m not sure if these have port injection to deal with carbon buildup, but if they do chances are there will be a pcm reprogram in the near future. I feel like with the exception of maybe one user here it sounds to me like vapor lock due to the supercharger but again pcm software update should be able to remedy that as well.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These new engines are direct injected so maybe it has something to do with pressure loss in the high pressure system. I’m not sure if these have port injection to deal with carbon buildup, but if they do chances are there will be a pcm reprogram in the near future. I feel like with the exception of maybe one user here it sounds to me like vapor lock due to the supercharger but again pcm software update should be able to remedy that as well.
I could be wrong, but thought the predator is port injection only? I know my 5.2 VooDoo is port injection only.

mtnghost

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but thought the predator is port injection only? I know my 5.2 VooDoo is port injection only.
You may be right, I was thinking new engine would follow in the way of the v6 and go direct? Regardless hopefully this ends up being a software issue and it gets resolved soon.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue within 40 miles on the odometer... took it in.. they replaced the fuel pumps(7.3 liter pumps)... 3,900 miles later- zero starting issues.
I asked them to replace my fuel pumps. Doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. I’ll know more tomorrow