The New Urban Assault Bumper (aka "mystery bumper" - formerly SSB 1.0)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I understand that. My thoughts though are if I'm spending $50k on my raptor, I'm not going to sneeze over a small difference in cost for going with a better material bumper. Yes they may be equal strength, but the thinner wall chromoly does save some weight. And while 15 lbs or so may not sound like a lot, it adds up over time in a lot of places. Equal strenght, lesser weight, reasonable price difference, sounds reasonable to me.

I just had a rollcage installed my my 00 HD truck, and went with Chromoly in there. Cost a bit more, and if I ever need to USE the cage, the truck is trashed anyway, and the safety of the chromoly is equivalent to the safety of a mild steel thicker wall cage, so really the end result difference is only the weight. With as much money as I have invested, I'd prefer to go with the higher quality setup.

And as for welding, same with my cage, TIG welding only, I wouldn't want a bumper with MIG welds all over it.

Going back to the comment on bending the tubes, I have done some fabrication building a Hybrid SAE car, and we used some mild steel and some chromoly, and I did all the bending for the tubes for the chassis, and holy cow, night and day difference bending mild steel vs bending chromoly.

15lbs is 2 gallons of washer fluid. Lets not get crazy in here

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
15lbs is 2 gallons of washer fluid. Lets not get crazy in here

it's not getting crazy. With the mentality of it's "only" xx lbs, things add up faster than you'd imagine. Rather than comparing it to "it's only 2 gal of washer fluid" which doesn't seem like much, use the comparsion of "you only need to lose 15 lbs" and that suddenly becomes much more of an f-that! lol

It's only 15 lbs added for a cheaper material bumper
It's only 20 lbs added for a few gallons of spare fuel
It's only 15 lbs added for a few straps and clevises
It's only 20 lbs added with a bedrug
It's only 40 lbs added with a lightweight tonneau
It's only 5 lbs added with extra floor mats
It's only 20 lbs added with my small tool kit under the seat
It's only 30 lbs added with tossing my jumper box in the back
It's only 5 lbs a corner of added mass for these other tires
It's only 10 lbs more to leave my reciever hanging off the back

Stuff adds up retardedly fast, all those "negligable" items by themselves just added ~200 lbs to the truck, and it's only scratching the surface of some mods or gear added to the truck. Doesn't take much at all to add 400-500 lbs into the truck between aftermarket parts, gear, stereo systems, etc.

Even at the weight of the trucks being the tanks they are, taking off 10-15 lbs at a time you won't notice it, but take off 400-500 lbs at once. Have 3 passengers ride along and go down the 1/4 mile, then have them all hop out and go solo. Every 100 lbs is worth 1/10th. 500 lbs is a half of a second. Yes drag racing isn't want these trucks are about, but speed and acceleration are all part of performance, on road and off.

The mentality of only saving 10 or 15 lbs here and there so it's not worth it, yet it's only adding 10 or 15 lbs here or there so it's not a big deal, adds up before you know it. The shipping weight on my truck was 5,980 lbs. I'm planning on adding some other mods like a tonneau, bedrug, mats, etc. so it will certainly tip the 6,000 mark, but my goal is to keep it at my starting point, and NOT add to it overall. And 10-15 lbs here and there all add up.

If I can shave a few lbs or keep the same weight with my aftermarket bumper, and also shed a few lbs with aftermarket exhaust, that's a few more lbs buffer I have for either additional payload, or other weight-adding mods, and still retaining peak/optimal performance.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Just go on a diet Reptar

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

no but seriously Reptar, i can tell you're excited about getting your Raptor and if it means a lot to you then more power to you. i'm talking to the guy who will put cheap aftermarket wheels and Generals on his truck, adding 40lbs of unsprung weight and then two minutes later is bitching about the 10-15lbs a bumper adds. your examples are exaggerated to say the least, but it's clear that weight is a concern of yours given the mods you have planned. there's really no reason not to go with chromoly, but for most there's also no reason not to go with mild steel either.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do go on a diet come race season in the fall. 10 lbs that I can lose is 10 lbs less I need to shed off my race truck when I'm trying to shave hundreths of a second off lol

But use that mentality....either spend 5-10% more for higher quality materials that also shed weight on a bumper, or go on a diet and drop 15 lbs and KEEP it off yourself....I think most would take the chromoly LOL

Maybe thats where a lot of the 5.4 > 6.2 arguements stem from. I'm a 5.4 guy myself from my s/c'ed trucks, and very weight conscious of what I slap on my truck. Maybe the 5.4 raptor guys are the same, so they retain the factory performance, and the 6.2 guys just add up weight left and right, and before they know it they're slower than a 5.4 LOL!!!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I do go on a diet come race season in the fall. 10 lbs that I can lose is 10 lbs less I need to shed off my race truck when I'm trying to shave hundreths of a second off lol

But use that mentality....either spend 5-10% more for higher quality materials that also shed weight on a bumper, or go on a diet and drop 15 lbs and KEEP it off yourself....I think most would take the chromoly LOL

Maybe thats where a lot of the 5.4 > 6.2 arguements stem from. I'm a 5.4 guy myself from my s/c'ed trucks, and very weight conscious of what I slap on my truck. Maybe the 5.4 raptor guys are the same, so they retain the factory performance, and the 6.2 guys just add up weight left and right, and before they know it they're slower than a 5.4 LOL!!!

so the real question is, when are you gonna call Tim to make your bumper order?

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a great looking bumper. The lines and the brick grill match look sweet. I can't wait to see it on Birds truck with the lic. plate on, (Damn you Mass!). Are you getting a rear bumper to match?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
This is a great looking bumper. The lines and the brick grill match look sweet. I can't wait to see it on Birds truck with the lic. plate on, (Damn you Mass!). Are you getting a rear bumper to match?

i'll start harassing Tim for a rear bumper soon enough. i'm gonna have to come up with a creative way to mount the front plate cause I have a 20" LED on its way for behind the bottom grille.