The Detroit Auto Show - New Raptor Unveiling Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People the raptor is a HEAVY truck. You do not want huge HP numbers out of the 6. You will have to give up lots of low end to get the high numbers. On a performance car that is fine, on a truck it will suck. 500hp I am betting is the limit before you start to see it affecting use of the truck.

So you're saying that the aftermarket world for our current raptor's will outperform or be better suited than the next generation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You must not no anything about turbo's then. Too get the High HP numbers out of a small engine with Turbo's you will have to give up the low end as at the higher end the turbo will be past max efficiency and be nothing but heat. With the truck being so heavy you will want low and mid power and sacrifice the top end for this.

If you upgrade the turbo's you are dropping the low end, if you just do IC and exhaust you can decrease the heat but can only overcome so much when you are working past max efficiency of the turbo.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You must not no anything about turbo's then. Too get the High HP numbers out of a small engine with Turbo's you will have to give up the low end as at the higher end the turbo will be past max efficiency and be nothing but heat. With the truck being so heavy you will want low and mid power and sacrifice the top end for this.

If you upgrade the turbo's you are dropping the low end, if you just do IC and exhaust you can decrease the heat but can only overcome so much when you are working past max efficiency of the turbo.

My daily driver is a mkvi gti. 2.0 4 cylinder. It puts out 253 hp and 285 ft/ lbs. it posts max torque at 1725 revs, drops 4 ft/lbs from there to redline at 7k. Pulls all day long. And weighs in at 4300 pounds curb weight

Not heard of dual scroll turbos huh?

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you're saying that the aftermarket world for our current raptor's will outperform or be better suited than the next generation?

What I am saying is a fully built 6.2L NA or with a Whipple/TVS will still be the better platform if you want tons of power in the truck.

The new EB is going to be a beast of a motor for sure and stock vs stock, or light mod vs light mod the new EB will be better, but if going to go for crazy HP the 6.2L is the better option for the truck.

Now in a mustang I would be all over the new EB setup. as you could easily make 700hp and since its a mustang you could make up for the loss in low end with its crazy top end and proper gearing

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

My daily driver is a mkvi gti. 2.0 4 cylinder. It puts out 253 hp and 285 ft/ lbs. it posts max torque at 1725 revs, drops 4 ft/lbs from there to redline at 7k. Pulls all day long. And weighs in at 4300 pounds curb weight

Not heard of dual scroll turbos huh?

I have been around the performance world with turbo's for a long time in the scoobie and supra world. You are dreaming if you think twin scroll solves the issue of high performance and lag completely. If you want big HP number that you can actually run all day an not just some one pull and done you are going to give up low end. Twin scroll has its own drawbacks as well..

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
500 lbs is the difference between leaving two big girls home for the ride. How much mpg gain does 500 lbs get you? I wouldn't guess it to be that much.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the 500lbs will not be a huge factor unless you are drag racing where tenths count. Now if there was a way to shave 15lbs of each wheel/tire you would have a noticeable difference. Unsprung weight savings is where you see the most gains. Which is why I am wanting to get seat time in a gt350r with the new CF wheels.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its more like 8% weight drop, but it does not reduce unprung weight at all so unless they upgrade the brakes do not expect much better braking. You must remember we have wheel/tires that weigh 100lbs on each corner. That is a lot of rotating mass that you have to stop. Fact is when we run around we have lots of extra weight in out trucks as is. You should add up everything you have on a run and see what you are actually adding. Running two spares in the bed alone is 200lbs. Then add in jacks, recovery gear, extra fuel, etc etc and its easy to add 500 lbs (not to mention adding upgraded suspension and body parts that weigh more).

yes the 500lb weight reduction is nice but its not going to be as noticeable with a raptor as say a sports car. I would give up the 500lbs for 100lbs of unsprung weight reduction.

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 500lbs will not be a huge factor unless you are drag racing where tenths count. Now if there was a way to shave 15lbs of each wheel/tire you would have a noticeable difference. Unsprung weight savings is where you see the most gains. Which is why I am wanting to get seat time in a gt350r with the new CF wheels.

You don't think close to a 10% reduction in weight won't make a difference? I think it will make a huge difference in every day driving.. Easier to get air, better for loose dirt/sand, and also stopping distance should go down too. No one really talks about the raptors brakes but they aren't that great and I know it's a truck and not a sports car but I've driven a new tundra and I noticed a huge difference from our trucks and wish I had that stopping power in my own truck

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Its more like 8% weight drop, but it does not reduce unprung weight at all so unless they upgrade the brakes do not expect much better braking. You must remember we have wheel/tires that weigh 100lbs on each corner. That is a lot of rotating mass that you have to stop. Fact is when we run around we have lots of extra weight in out trucks as is. You should add up everything you have on a run and see what you are actually adding. Running two spares in the bed alone is 200lbs. Then add in jacks, recovery gear, extra fuel, etc etc and its easy to add 500 lbs (not to mention adding upgraded suspension and body parts that weigh more).

yes the 500lb weight reduction is nice but its not going to be as noticeable with a raptor as say a sports car. I would give up the 500lbs for 100lbs of unsprung weight reduction.

I learn something new every time I get on here didn't even take that into consideration

dhollist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People the raptor is a HEAVY truck. You do not want huge HP numbers out of the 6. You will have to give up lots of low end to get the high numbers. On a performance car that is fine, on a truck it will suck. 500hp I am betting is the limit before you start to see it affecting use of the truck.

The age old trade off between peak horsepower and low-end torque doesn't apply to boosted engines the way it does to normally aspirated engines, so you can have both. :)

All the best,
Dave