SHOXSpeed Strut Tower Brace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford F150 SHOXSpeed Strut Tower Brace

30 Minutes To A More Solid Suspension

From the April, 2010 issue of Off-Road
By Jason Gonderman

Sometimes sports car technology bleeds over into the off-road realm, and when it does it usually hits in a big way. Over the past several years the auto manufacturers have been switching things up and changing our beloved pickups from the tried-and-true coil spring and torsion bar to the new-to-trucks coilover or strut-type front suspension. This has been great as it has allowed us to more easily lift our late-model trucks. But when we lift a truck and add larger tires this adds weight, which forces the chassis to flex more, which in turn minimizes shock performance creating a harsh and unstable ride. There is a cure for this however, and it comes in the form of a strut tower brace.

Strut tower braces have been around for decades in the sports car and off-road racing world. Seeing the need, SHOXSpeed has developed a line of strut tower braces specifically for late model pickup trucks. Installed in less than 30 minutes the SHOXSpeed brace not only helps improve handling and steering response but also reduces chassis and body flex resulting in a smoother and more controlled ride.

The SHOXSpeed strut tower brace comes complete with all the necessary hardware, excellent instructions, and is powder coated with a high-temp coating in a classy high gloss black which looks great in any engine compartment.

SHOXSpeed Strut Tower Brace

1004or_01_o+shoxspeed_strut_tower_braces+shoxspeed.jpg

The strut tower brace is comprised of three parts, the two outer strut brace brackets and the engine strut brace bar. The strut brace bar is connected to and isolated from the brackets by a polyurethane bushing. Isolating the bar from the brackets helps to prevent unwanted road noise from resonating into the cab.

1004or_03_o+shoxspeed_strut_tower_braces+trust_tower_brace.jpg

The folks at SHOXSpeed have thought of everything. The strut tower brackets are notched out to clear the ABS signal wire, the stud mounting holes are slightly oversized to accommodate for any variation of lift kit, leveling kit, or even stock struts, and all the small details have been addressed such as providing a plastic sleeve to protect the radiator hose on F-150's from unwanted contact with the strut tower bracket.

1004or_04_o+shoxspeed_strut_tower_braces+mounting.jpg

To ensure long life after years of abuse, the SHOXSpeed brace comes with only the finest Grade 8 hardware and locking nuts and washers.

1004or_05_o+shoxspeed_strut_tower_braces+grade_8_hardware.jpg

SHOXSpeed USA
619-656-3132
http://www.shoxspeed.com/

Notes:

1. I assume this will bolt on to the Raptor too but we'll have to check.
2. Other than esthetics, I'm not sure what value, if any, strut tower braces offer today's vehicles since they're typically so much more rigid than vehicles of years past.
3. Who's gonna be first?

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to worry, these things aren't that terribly complicated and could be fabricated by a large number of aftermarket companies for the 2010's. It's a simple matter of designing it to clear the underhood components and fitting under the hood with mounting brackets that match the strut tower holes.

Here's a Mustang strut tower brace (from Ford!) with mounting brackets that don't even attach around the strut towers:

fordstrutbrace002.jpg

fordstrutbrace002.jpg

stblabel001.jpg

Looks like it is/was available in black or polished.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are not that hard at all to put on. Had one on my 2001 Integra. Once my medication wore off a little it only took about 30 minutes to put on.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting... but I wonder how much good it would actually do considering the tall vertical height of the F150 version? Those little tubes bent at nearly 90 degrees and with a foot or more of "leverage" acting against them wouldn't seem to provide much stiffness... then they included polyurethane bushings to allow even more "give"?

In contrast, the strut brace shown on the Mustang is used to combat "unibody flex" ... because the body of the vehicle is also the frame. Also note that the bar is solid with only a slight curve to clear the engine. The Mustang bar shown is probably at least a 1000% stronger than the F150 version shown..

One other thing to remember... The F150 shocks/springs already mount to a "real" frame, not a stamped steel unibody like most cars that would benefit greatly from a strut brace.

I guess I'm just having trouble seeing any benefit of this mod for the F150... (Raptor) :idk:

Unless you think it looks cool!

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting... but I wonder how much good it would actually do considering the tall vertical height of the F150 version? Those little tubes bent at nearly 90 degrees and with a foot of more of "leverage" acting against them wouldn't seem to provide much stiffness... then they included polyurethane bushings to allow even more "give"?

In contrast, the strut brace shown on the Mustang is used to combat "unibody flex" ... because the body of the vehicle is also the frame. Also note that the bar is solid with only a slight curve to clear the engine. The Mustang bar shown is probably at least a 1000% stronger than the F150 version shown..

One other thing to remember... The F150 shocks/springs already mount to a "real" frame, not a stamped steel unibody like most cars that would benefit greatly from a strut brace.

I guess I'm just having trouble seeing any benefit of this mod for the F150... (Raptor) :idk:

Yup. I think we're on the same page on this. As I mentioned above, people buy these because (1) they can, (2) it's a mod, (3) it "could" help by improving performance, and (4) it's different.

Here's a pic of a typical strut tower brace (this one's on a Bimmer):

E34frontAl.gif

onebadf150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good find I would think that since the strut brace ties in both side of the struts that it would create a more solid front-end. If it improves that much then why didn't svt put it on the truck beside the cost factor!

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they cost nothing to make...

this mod is probably unneeded on this vehicle.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup. I think we're on the same page on this. As I mentioned above, people buy these because (1) they can, (2) it's a mod, (3) it "could" help by improving performance, and (4) it's different.

Here's a pic of a typical strut tower brace (this one's on a Bimmer):

If I was cornering hard a lot (or racing)... I wouldn't hesitate to put a strut brace on a Bimmer... or a Mustang... or an Integra. But I don't see the benefit or need on the F150.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... but I wonder how much good it would actually do considering the tall vertical height of the F150 version? Those little tubes bent at nearly 90 degrees and with a foot or more of "leverage" acting against them wouldn't seem to provide much stiffness... then they included polyurethane bushings to allow even more "give"?

:agree: