Offroad "grab n go" box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesdh

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've had my Raptor about a month or so and I'm about to take a trip out west (Texas) to find some trails to drive.
Out there it's pretty desolate so I wanted to be prepared for any problem I might run into on the trail.

I want to make up a "grab n go" type box full of goodies I might need. Digging thru the garage I found an old Pelican 1610 case I used for a tool box when I did on call work. It's about 21x16x10 and should hold plenty.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to pack in it.
So far I've come up with:

Shovel (folding german army surplus)
Snatch strap, 3" x 30'
First aid kit
Flashlight and batteries
Poncho and liner
Small tool kit (ratchet and metric sockets, combo wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers)
Puncture kit (ARB!!)
Box of stuff from my backpack (signal mirror, compass, fire starter, flare gun, water proof matches, candles, water purification tabs and a few other small items)
Machete
Collapsible 6gal water jug
100' 3/8 rope
100' 1/4 rope
Gloves

Other than the box I'll have:
4 each 5 gallon gas cans (Scepter Military Fuel Cans)
2 each 5 gallon water cans (Scepter Water Cans)
60" Hi Lift extreme with acessories
Air compressor
10" Orion dobsonian telescope. What's the point of going out where there is no light if you don't catch a few hours of star gazin?
Folding chairs
Tent and camping equipment (yes air mattress included)

Any other suggestions, mostly for the box as I want to keep it in the truck all the time we're on the trails versus the camping equipment which will be at the camp site.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AR15 w/200rds loaded in magazines for illegals
.22Lr for snakes

When and where are you planning this trip?

OP
OP
jamesdh

jamesdh

Reaction score
I'll be heading out to Big Bend around the first week in September. Probably spend a week or so out there.
I'll stay in the Chisos lodge a few nights then head over to Ft. Davis and stay at the Indian lodge a few nights then maybe swing up to Monahans and see if the Sand Hills park will let me in and do some running in the sand.

I would really like to bring three new AR's I just built.
11" "pistol"
20" SASS look alike, 20" NM bull barrel, quad rail tube, bipod, 10x42 Supersniper scope, NM Two stage RRA trigger, UBR stock, Ergo grip
16" carbine with all the goodies. Eotech, MOE Forend, MOE stock, MIAD grip, MBUS flip sights

Be like old times when I used to run over to the dump and shoot. More fun blowing up stuff than just shooting targets.

Are illegals in season?

shoepolishsmelling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they're short dark and brown and run shoot away if they don't run then ask them for they're papers lol....I don't run but then again I keep my papers right next to my .45 and my military ID

OP
OP
jamesdh

jamesdh

Reaction score
Let me clear up..
I was thinking about shooting out in the wild instead of at the range when I was mentioned blowing stuff up instead of hitting paper targets. I was not referring to illegals in that comment.

The illegals in season comment was humor.

svt_sj410

Reaction score
Hi Jamesdh, welcome to the Houston Raptor members club... :bananababy:
I guess you saw my post elsewhere on a Raptor trip to BigBend I did back in April:
http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?1374-quot-Gray-quot-Raptor-in-Big-Bend-(w-pics)
I know this is not the topic for this thread but the only problem I had then was dust (plenty!) in the bed, making it difficult to keep my grab'n'go box, fridge and camping gear clean. I have a bakflip G2 which I like and is reasonably waterproof, but not dust-proof at all.
Since then, I installed some adhesive rubber seal around the tailgate, and I am still adding a few inches here and there after each run in dusty conditions to perfect the result. If anybody is interested by this discussion, let's start a new thread, :)

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me clear up..
I was thinking about shooting out in the wild instead of at the range when I was mentioned blowing stuff up instead of hitting paper targets. I was not referring to illegals in that comment.

The illegals in season comment was humor.

Well this is Texas, all the land is privately owned. So you have to be careful pulling over on the side of the road and letting her rip. The place I stayed at down near the border had it's own private range. Anyhow, I generally carry something no matter what just in case something does happens.

If anybody is interested by this discussion, let's start a new thread, :)

Sure, we mentioned doing something this fall anyhow :)

OP
OP
jamesdh

jamesdh

Reaction score
svt_sj410,
I had not seen that post. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
I usually find myself out there about 3 or 4 times a year but never in a 4x4. Last time I was out the girl I was with got too scared to venture too far off the pavement even though we were in a pickup.
I've ordered the BakFlip HD. I hope it has better sealing. The display looked like it had rubber seals on the sides. Maybe some tape will seal it while I'm on the dirt.

I'll be bringing my 16 year old nephew this time so no "girls" to cause problems.
We're both deep into photography so there should be some nice photos out of the trip. I just picked up a nice video camera and will be testing it out in the trip.