nitros on a raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uaq69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am planning to instal nos nitrous on a ford raptor anyone done this and will it affect my engine or how safe is it

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the real question is why would you wanna ruin a perfectly good truck by adding nitrous? its seriously a waste unless you want to spend thousands of dollars in engine upgrades or spend close to 15K for a built engine that can handle nitrous cause i promise you that a stock engine won't be able to handle it and you'll blow yourself up. natural selection be my guest go ahead and see what happens let us know how it works out for you!:slap:

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitrous can be a safe form of forced induction, just as safe as turbocharging, if done properly and within the limits of the vehicle, just read up on it and make sure you know what you're getting into before you go and just throw a bottle in it and turn the engine into a pile of scrap

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitrous can be a safe form of forced induction, just as safe as turbocharging, if done properly and within the limits of the vehicle, just read up on it and make sure you know what you're getting into before you go and just throw a bottle in it and turn the engine into a pile of scrap

I agree, Nitrous is vastly misunderstood.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very very very misunderstood! And very deadly! Like they said make sure you do every bit of research you can!! I had two friends die in a car fire cause of nitrous. Even in a well built car things Can still happen. In this case a cracked head leaked nitrous out and blew up the engine. I have a deep fear of nitrous and will personally never use it but if it's done right and in moderation then you should be ok hopefully

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very very very misunderstood! And very deadly! Like they said make sure you do every bit of research you can!! I had two friends die in a car fire cause of nitrous. Even in a well built car things Can still happen. In this case a cracked head leaked nitrous out and blew up the engine. I have a deep fear of nitrous and will personally never use it but if it's done right and in moderation then you should be ok hopefully

I'm very sorry to hear about your friends… Fortunately I haven't been negatively affected by the use of nitrous.

For the OP, ALL high horsepower applications, racing, and/or race like situations have the potential to go SNAFU, so as with anything when modifying your vehicle keep the worst case scenarios in mind.

Rockafella

Reaction score

I've grown up in a town of street racers where every weekend was spent at the dragstrip or on a backroad somewhere after the dragstrip. Nitrous Oxide actually isn't flammable and it's greatly misunderstood. As long as it's used correctly it's very safe for you and your engine. You must first know your engine's limits and make sure that you tune accordingly.

I must admit, I'm not sure why one would want nitrous on a Raptor unless you have a dirt drag-strip near you, which does sound pretty damn awesome, but again, not sure of any other reason why. I'd imagine that these 6.2's could live w/ a 100 shot but not more, and I'd window switch it and not have it come in any lower than say 3200rpm. Anything lower than that on these lead sleds is probably asking for it. I also haven't heard of how well wet kits (nitrous and fuel coming from the nozzle) flow through the 6.2 intakes as you may have to worry about puddling, etc...

One thing's for sure, testing your limits or getting greedy w/ nitrous can become very expensive very quickly... I wouldn't do it, and we put nitrous on everything:evillol:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm..... should i comment here? haha

there are 2 types of nos systems. a wet system and a dry system. the wet system is what most of the drag racers use. it is a fuel and nos mixture. it is almost instant power, but it is more prone to blowing your motor. a dry system is what i use. it is safer since we are using an air nos mixture. however there is a slight delay from when you activate it to when it hits. which works out perfect for me. i turn the nos on halfway through first gear, and by the time i shift into second, i have the nos pumping into my system. you can not just add nos and go. you will blow something up. there are a few things that need to be considered. timing retard, proper air fuel mixture, a motor that can handle the boost.... etc. if you just try to add 100shot of nos and your drive train cant take it, well then you are screwed. or if your motor cant handle it, then BOOM! you will need to know what the torque specs the truck has, and do not exceed these limits.... or dont come close to these limits since riding on the edge will eventually cause catastrophic failure. however, with the right equipment, you most likely will be able to add nos to your system, but dont go doing a 300shot.

Rockafella

Reaction score
the wet system is what most of the drag racers use. it is a fuel and nos mixture. it is almost instant power, but it is more prone to blowing your motor. a dry system is what i use. it is safer since we are using an air nos mixture. however there is a slight delay from when you activate it to when it hits. which works out perfect for me. i turn the nos on halfway through first gear, and by the time i shift into second, i have the nos pumping into my system.

First and foremost, a wet system is not more prone to blowing your engine. Just not true.

Secondly, a dry system is not "safer." It simply uses the injectors or the carb to add the fuel instead of having the extra fuel introduced by the same nozzle as your nitrous.

Third, there should be no delay from the time your nitrous in activated. You're opening a solenoid that's holding back a 1000+psi of nitrous. It is in your cylinders instantly. If you're not feeling it until moments later, then your system is extremely late on adding the extra fuel to the mix that's needed to make more power - but in the mean time you're cylinders are experiencing an extremely lean condition which is very dangerous and is what grenades engines. The fact that this is possible in a dry system and not possible in a wet system is why saying wet systems are more dangerous doesn't make sense. A wet system will have added fuel at the same time the nitrous is introduced and as long as your fuel jet is properly matched w/ your nitrous jet then you will never experience a lean condition. Furthermore you get more atomization this way when using nx shark nozzles, etc... Just look into those nozzles for an explanation.

I've used both systems in several different configurations, my last dry system being on my cam'd C6 Z06 w/ supporting mods making 660rwhp on a stock bottom end w/ no issues (except for breaking 5 half shafts (axles) along the way). When the nitrous solenoid opened, I was instantly making more horsepower - just the way you should be.