New Raptor - Beware!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the OP is getting crucified here. Generally negativity towards the 2017 is widely excepted. With the current evidence at hand, I don't see it being too unrealistic that the 2017 Raptors t-case will be all that different then what's currently being offered in the latest generation of F150s. I would even go as far as saying it may be of the same "design". I've been in the game long enough to know adaptation gets ****** out and rebranded as "all-new" like a mother ******.

Anywho... Carry on with the bashing.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
really? Am I the only one who read this as coming off as *******? especially this response... Not that I know the guy it was aimed at.

Actually it was the Ford tech. 2015 is the first time the new transfer case/transmission combo that the new Raptor will have is being used in their trucks. I did not get ripped off. The MSRP was 60K, and can be higher if fully loaded. I actually got ours for 51K.

Perhaps you should try a little research... "The 2016 Raptor's transfer case will be able to switch to four-wheel when necessary for on-road duties via electronic clutches. When it's time to leave the pavement—or, indeed, the ground entirely—mechanical locks will kick in and provide solid, durable power transfer for that desert run or rock-crawling excursion. Ford tells us this is the first system of this kind." R&T. I don't post links, so feel free to look it up yourself.

Thanks for the "salesguy" comment....nice.

I thought he was crappy to Wyo as well who I do know...But maybe I'm out of line.

If I'm wrong tell me, maybe its mommy brain.. I'll totally own up to it.

He actually isn't new, joined 12-16-2012 and probably has just been reading and lurking. And based off what he believe was truth because he trusts this so-called informed Ford tech, he felt it was time to post. I personally didn't think his post were coming off offensive but my opinion doesn't mean shit.

You are correct, he isn't new, but new to post... and you should probably document the fact that you and I agree on something...haha!

@pirate air was he really being bashed that hard and was anyone really super defending the 17 other than saying the info hasn't been released and just because you or random friend guy is a tech doesn't mean you know the specifications? You don't say that you do know, you are just speculating that it may not be all that different. And I would trust you a million percent over his ford tech person...just saying!

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really? Am I the only one who read this as coming off as *******? especially this response... Not that I know the guy it was aimed at.

I thought he was crappy to Wyo as well who I do know...But maybe I'm out of line.

If I'm wrong tell me, maybe its mommy brain.. I'll totally own up to it.

You are correct, he isn't new, but new to post... and you should probably document the fact that you and I agree on something...haha!

@pirate air was he really being bashed that hard and was anyone really super defending the 17 other than saying the info hasn't been released and just because you or random friend guy is a tech doesn't mean you know the specifications? You don't say that you do know, you are just speculating that it may not be all that different. And I would trust you a million percent over his ford tech person...just saying!

OP started out perhaps a little over reactive, but I still believe he was jumped on pretty quick all things being considered. I do believe and understand the OPs frustration with the automatic function of the t-case. Venting about it and hoping the flaw doesn't carry over to the 2017 doesn't seem out of place.

Things don't always get released as they should, or all at the same time. Nuggets of info pop up in parts catalogs, service manuals, service tools, or even instructors may talk about future products they've already trained on. It's possible the tech saw something that eluded to the fact the t-cases would be a sister design, or what I believe will be an adaptation to what's currently offered. I haven't seen anything to indicate as such, but I left the industry awhile ago. I'm just going off of experience as I know auto style t-cases follow a very common design even across manufactures. Seeing as how the current f150s utilize a automatic/clutch plus mechanical lock "design", I believe the 2017 will get a very similar dedicated unit, if not the same with maybe a few ****** bobs and thingy a ma jigs added hear and there. The whole selectable terrain mode (or whatever they are calling it) will rely mostly on different programming in the engine, transmission, and abs/traction control parameters. I think the t-case will play a very small roll, or not much more of a roll then what the current t-case can provide. I believe this because, once you start asking a clutch pack to regulate power/torque you induce slipping which induces a lot of heat and wear. Add the fact the raptor is heavy, has big tires, should have decent power makes it worse. Unless they built some Frankenstein size transfer case with a dedicated cooling system, I see the clutch pack only playing a gradual on/off (2x4/4x4) roll to help keep the front tires from breaking traction when initially applying torque. Much like the current t-case is already doing. The only active/slipping "transfer case" clutch pack I can think of is in the Nissan GTR (although I'm sure there are others), and that system is on a level that I gurentee we will never see in the raptor. The size, cost, engineering and cooling of that unit is pretty significant.

But, that's just my edumecated guess that the tech is more right then wrong, and all the mumbo jumbo fancy features in the link, are nothing more then that-mumbo jumbo.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it's funny that the '17's are generating this kind of heated discussions. Obviously Ford is to blame for not giving us the information that we all want and need. But I don't think name calling and belittling each other is proper etiquette here. Let's all calm down and admit that the OP has an issue with his Lariat, and that his service tech told him something that he thought he knew, and that he brought it up here for discussion. We're all so quick to flex our internet muscles and show that we know it all when all reality, none of us know anything for sure when it comes to the new Gen2's.

D

Deleted member 12951

^^
Actually a post from Ruby that I actually like. Good job buddy and agree with you 100%!