New 2017 Raptor, New Section.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rumors have floated around about a "Raptor R" - similar to what the Cobra Jet was to the mustangs. A turn-key factory race truck. If (BIG if) there is a V8TT, I would imagine it would be something similar to that. $90K (or more) for a truck that's stripped down, longer travel suspension, potentially a roll cage. Who knows what the Raptor R would have, but if there is truth to the rumor, I would speculate it wouldn't be an engine option for the "base" raptor.

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see ford investing so much into this new ecoboost to cut its throat later with this new Tt v8. Don't you think future Gt owners will be upset that they paid over $200,000 for a Tt v6 super car? They will be screaming for the v8 and that would cause a problem in its own. It just doesn't make sense either to equip a ttv8 because we're talking about a truck making 550+hp (at the very least) and ford has stated in the past that these trucks don't need that much power. It just increases the chance of something breaking and ultimately putting the owner in more dangerous scenarios. Horsepower kings is not a credible source whatsoever... Rumors of no more v8 mustangs after the year 201X, gt350r ring times and reports of a new gt500 making over 740hp in 2017 when they contradict the earlier lie of no mustangs coming with v8s.... how would they make those huge numbers without a v8 In The first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This article makes no sense. If a V8 TT was an option in 2017 or an option at all why not mention it at the Detroit Auto show? It would generate so much hype for Ford. If this article has any truth at all then I bet my ass that it will NOT be available in 2017 or even 2018. Why? Because Ford would have great difficulty selling the 3.5L V6 TT if customers knew a V8 TT was an option the following model year or even in 2019. The majority of customers would just wait for the V8 TT.

Time will tell but it makes no sense to develop 2 engines knowing that the 2nd engine option is what the market is looking for.

This is no different than what happens all the time. If you keep up with new products you always knows there's something coming down the pipe. It's just like did Ford stop selling the last gen Mustang just because a new one was coming out the next year? This stuff happens all the time. New aluminum 2015 F150. Did that hurt the 2014s? And so on. It'll make no difference. Sure some will wait for the V8 option if they announce it but that's par for the course. I still really think there will be a V8 option. I still have a hard time thinking the V6 will be the only option in our off-road beast. Now if they didn't have one in the mustang or other trucks, then I could believe it. Honestly, just from a common sense standpoint, I really think they're working on one. Whether it'll be out in 2017 or 2018 and how much it costs is another issue. If not, I'm still very interested in a 450hp Raptor with bigger shocks, more travel, stronger frame, and 500 lbs+ lighter!

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Remember horsepower kings said the new Raptor would be 4200lbs...

Not quite that low (less than 4700). Yes, it was way off on the weight but the article was not total junk (2017 and not 2016). Personally, I've never followed these kinds of sights but there was some interesting true tidbits in there. What I find interesting is their estimate of suspension travel. They said more for the 2017 and these seem like reasonable numbers.

Anybody have some favorite sites that they feel are reliable for scoops?

Source: 2016 SVT Raptor will debut at Detroit in January, powered by ‘400+ HP EcoBoost 3.5L V6′, more travel and

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whats the appeal of a ttv8 over the ttv6? Just the fact that its a v8 and not a v6? Sure there will be more power on tap but how much power do you need? We can all agree that more power is "better" and "more fun" but you have to see things from Fords point of view. If they give us a truck pushing 650hp think about what else on the truck that will need to be beefed up to handle that sort of power. The more power you have the more strength in other areas of the truck is needed which will ultimately make the price skyrocket.

I would be fine with Ford making a Raptor 'R' or something thats just balls to the wall insane for those with REALLY deep pockets. Id rather have my personal truck make good power but also not snap things every time I bury my foot. Ripping loose 35"+ tires on pavement or rocks is a recipe for breaking stuff which Im not all interested in doing.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let's not get into a debate about what is better a V6 TT or V8TT and what needs to be beefed up a V8TT. All these questions can be debated FOREVER WITH NO DEF ANSWERS.

Whats the appeal of a ttv8 over the ttv6? Just the fact that its a v8 and not a v6? Sure there will be more power on tap but how much power do you need? We can all agree that more power is "better" and "more fun" but you have to see things from Fords point of view. If they give us a truck pushing 650hp think about what else on the truck that will need to be beefed up to handle that sort of power. The more power you have the more strength in other areas of the truck is needed which will ultimately make the price skyrocket.

I would be fine with Ford making a Raptor 'R' or something thats just balls to the wall insane for those with REALLY deep pockets. Id rather have my personal truck make good power but also not snap things every time I bury my foot. Ripping loose 35"+ tires on pavement or rocks is a recipe for breaking stuff which Im not all interested in doing.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a specialty vehicle for only a few. This is not a mass produced vehicle. If you want a 213 cubic inch v6 motor in your Raptor if you decide to ever buy one great, 90%+ of us know that the V8 motor in an off-road beast completes this truck. You have to be going 80-90-100mph off-road, thundering through the desert to understand. First preference for me is another normally aspirated v8 with around 500 hp. Combine that with all the other upgrades and 500 lbs+ less and you've got something. Even though I'm still very interested in a 450 hp v6tt, I worry about reliability and a stupid v6 turbo sound. Yes, it does matter!

Last edited:

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Two more cylinders. That's it. The projected numbers on the boost V6 are tremendous. There is no competition in this segment for Ford and the market is already thrilled with the 400 horsepower the Raptor currently offers. Ford has zero incentive to offer an extra 100 horsepower over the 450-500 that the V6 will produce, as it will sell them no more trucks.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

It's a specialty vehicle for only a few. This is not a mass produced vehicle. If you want a 213 cubic inch v6 motor in your Raptor if you decide to ever buy one great, 90%+ of us know that the V8 motor in an off-road beast completes this truck. You have to be going 80-90-100mph off-road, thundering through the desert to understand. First preference for me is another normally aspirated v8 with around 500 mph. Combine that with all the other upgrades and 500 lbs+ less and you've got something. Even though I'm still very interested in a 450 hp v6tt, I worry about reliability and a stupid v6 turbo sound. Yes, it does matter!

They sell well over 1,000 of these every month. Sure it pales in comparison to overall F150 production, but by every definition of the term the Raptor is a mass production vehicle.

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Let's not get into a debate about what is better a V6 TT or V8TT and what needs to be beefed up a V8TT. All these questions can be debated FOREVER WITH NO DEF ANSWERS.

+1 yeah you're right.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Rumors have floated around about a "Raptor R" - similar to what the Cobra Jet was to the mustangs. A turn-key factory race truck. If (BIG if) there is a V8TT, I would imagine it would be something similar to that. $90K (or more) for a truck that's stripped down, longer travel suspension, potentially a roll cage. Who knows what the Raptor R would have, but if there is truth to the rumor, I would speculate it wouldn't be an engine option for the "base" raptor.

The 3.5L ecoboost is an endurance race proven design.

Assuming there was a turn-key race truck, I would completely expect Ford to turn up the boost and squeeze more power out of the V6, but it wouldn't make sense to add a heavier non-proven design over the front wheels.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just reading through the latest Shelby magazine and they mention how they will definitely build upon a new Raptor if it comes out (deadline was before Detroit) so maybe they will offer some nice options for us. I've done everything I could do to make my voice heard for a v8 option. Crystal sent my comments up the chain, I emailed corporate and at least let it me known there is a large contingent that are clamoring for at least a v8 option. That's all we ask. If it comes down to it and there is no hope for a v8, then I'll make my decision to buy a second one. Will it be a 2017 or a low mileage used one to work on? Who knows. Just glad there will be two options. Either way, no one will ever get my 6.2L! That I know!!

Crikk

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Some of you guys act like it is a bad thing for Ford to have multiple bad ass engines. It has been provenon this forum that there is a market for both a V8 and a V6. Just because Ford makes a V8, does not mean they are saying the ecoboost V6 is garbage. I for one have my fingers crossed as tight as I can and I have already started saving. I am more excited because of this little and possibly bogus article, then I have been since learning of the new raptor.

sombra

Reaction score
Regarding the Car and Driver March issue with the 17 Raptor article...what caught my attention was the author's speculation on price (last 2 paragraphs).

"Don't expect a huge leap in price; we expect base trucks will begin around $50,000, and loaded SuperCrews could reach 60 large."

Sounds a little low to me, I am thinking loaded ones will run about 65k, which would be 5 or 6k more than the 14 models. What are your expectations/predictions of price?