My initial impressions - '11 Silver SCREW with all the trimmings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dstrack

Reaction score
Just took delivery Monday. We've been hit pretty hard with snow here in Jersey and the Raptor has not disappointed. It handles amazingly and you get a sense that nothing can stop it when behind the wheel. Pretty incredible. Can't wait to get it down in the pine barrens offroad.

We just took it on the highway for the first time today and it drove great. MPG isn't impressive but for what you're driving it's in line with most pickups.

It looks great. Lots of compliments when out and about. Just under 200 miles into it and I'd say the truck is perfect-ish ;-) execpt for a few things...

- Cooled seats (I hear its coming... Does this sacrifice the heated seats? I hear the different implementations make the heated part much less effective.)
- Auto-Sensing Wipers
- Headlamp Cleaner/Blasters (Another vote for improved lighting here as these things just are not bright enough)

Love what Ford has been doing. My wife drives the Flex with all the trimmings and that thing is pretty incredible in its own right.

Can't wait to see what SVT comes up with next. I'm in.

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID bulbs make a world of difference. They are illegal i understand, but i've had no problems with oncoming traffic flashing me and no issues with the police. There should be some good threads on where to get 'em and how to install 'em on here.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Hmm... I've been thinking of getting some, but I didn't know how bad they "scatter" (I think its called) the light. Do you have Hi/low or just low beams?

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score

- Cooled seats (I hear its coming... Does this sacrifice the heated seats? I hear the different implementations make the heated part much less effective.)
Love what Ford has been doing. My wife drives the Flex with all the trimmings and that thing is pretty incredible in its own right.

Can't wait to see what SVT comes up with next. I'm in.

Congrats!

No it doesn't sacrafice the heated seats. My 08 Expedition has factory heated/cooled seats.

As for what is next from SVT: 2012 GT500 will have an alum block engine and more HP. More of the Boss 302, SVT Focus and Fiesta. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an SVT AWD sedan in the future.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Congrats!

No it doesn't sacrafice the heated seats. My 08 Expedition has factory heated/cooled seats.

As for what is next from SVT: 2012 GT500 will have an alum block engine and more HP. More of the Boss 302, SVT Focus and Fiesta. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an SVT AWD sedan in the future.

2011 GT500 has the aluminum block now.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!

2011 GT500 has the aluminum block now.

CORRECT

2011 SHELBY GT500
MAJOR PRODUCT CHANGES

NEW FUNCTIONAL EQUIPMENT CHANGES
• New Aluminum Engine Block Design for 5.4L V8
• HID headlamps Standard
• MyKey™ Standard
• Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS)
• 19" Forged Aluminum Wheel now Standard on
Convertible
• Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 now with single CD
• Integrated Spotter Mirror for Side-view Mirrors

ENGINE HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE RATINGS
550 @ 6500 HP / 510 @ 5400 TQ

Last edited:

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Hmm... I've been thinking of getting some, but I didn't know how bad they "scatter" (I think its called) the light. Do you have Hi/low or just low beams?

There are two components to making HID lighting really "work". One is the light source, i.e., bulbs, ballasts, etc. The second is the optics to project that light source correctly on the road.

About 95% (or better) of the "HID kits" provide the first part and don't bother with the second, having you simply place an HID bulb inside your halogen-spec reflector headlamp housing. This approach will still add more light, but in places you don't want it, e.g., the sky, right in front of the truck, into the eyes of oncoming drivers, etc. And when you put light in the wrong places, even though it looks brighter, you're losing forward vision (if you put too much light right in front of the truck, you lose the ability to see at a distance...you're "blinded by your own lights").

The best explanation of the issue I've found is here: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I'm still looking for a reasonable way to do HID lights in a Raptor. The options I've found so far are:

- Send the lights to people on the east coast who do real HID retrofits for about $750-1000....and I need a temporary set of lights to do this...people like this: HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

- Do it myself for less...and likely not as well.

I'd love to find a third option...e.g., buying modified Raptor headlights directly (and *then* sending in my own as "cores").

OP
OP
D

dstrack

Reaction score
I may look into different lights... for now I scheduled and ordered a spray-in liner and BakFlip cover.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try Sylvania Ultras, or PIAA's..... not HID, but WHITE, not tan like the factory bulbs Ford has been putting in their cars since the 50's.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try Sylvania Ultras, or PIAA's..... not HID, but WHITE, not tan like the factory bulbs Ford has been putting in their cars since the 50's.

Welcome HoustonRider!!

I'm tracking your New CC Raptor,
W029 W1R 1FTFW1R62BFA72730 F-150 Awaiting Shipment Origin Received - (Jack Cooper Transport Co Inc ) Ramp 59, Dearborn Truck, MI Feb-08-2011, 14:22 ET

randy