Does Hill Descent Mode "time out" and disengage itself?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this a "known feature" and I just missed the memo?

At the top of a windey hill I engaged HD, accelerated to 15mph then tapped the brake. HD engages and down we go, my foot off the break and off the gas.

Then out of no where (I don't *think* the hill changed grade at this spot), HD lets go and the truck picks up speed (obviously) until I tap the brake. As soon as I do, HD reengages and all is hunky dory.. until a bit later and sure enough, HD lets go again.

I did this three times today, just to be sure. In all three cases, it seemed to be at just about 1/8mile where it released.

Is this "normal" or to be expected?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a normal situation J. This is from the "Description and Operation" section of the service manual.

During periods of sustained use, the Hill Descent Control™ system may automatically deactivate in order to cool the brake system. When this occurs, the system will notify the driver with a message in the message center and by sounding a warning chime. At this time the driver will need to provide brake and/or throttle control to maintain the desired descent speed. The system will remain disabled until it has sufficiently cooled. The length of time needed for cooling will vary depending on operating conditions.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ah. See there? I knew I missed the memo :)

237290_f248.jpg

Thanks FS