Custom Front Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Yeah cutting the frame takes the bumper install from a Saturday morning bolt on job to something more difficult, requiring grinders, welders and skilled installation. This addition of time, effort and cost steers most people clear. also, you won't be able to put your stock bumper back on so its not ideal for resale.

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
but damn I literally slowed down and stopped to look at these pics when Tim texted them to me today. Nice work Wicked

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but damn I literally slowed down and stopped to look at these pics when Tim texted them to me today. Nice work Wicked

Ya for sure... I say make it and let those that can do the install do it cause that bumper is all me... If someone dont make one soon, I am ordering a tube bender and making my own... I'm tired of waiting

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could some one educate me on to why we wouldn't want to cut the frame back? I've heard several times that you may not want to, but never heard why.

Warranty, insurance, or what ?

( I should add that I'm asking because I love the way this bumper looks ! )

if you want to get technical about it, technically it qualifies as "frame damage" :Grenade:

panda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to get technical about it, technically it qualifies as "frame damage" :Grenade:

Yeah, I would like to get technical about it if possible. I can see how "frame damage" might hurt resale value, but if that wasn't a concern, are there any other issues ?

I'm mostly worried about insurance I guess, would it be similar to running tires that aren't DOT Approved ? So, if you were to be involved in a crash, your carrier might not cover you because the vehicle's frame was damaged/modified ?

OP
OP
W

WickedPerformanceShop

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant speak to the actual law because im not a lawyer by any means. But if that were the case just installing an aftermarket bumper could cause problems with insurance. I know I have never had a problem with that personally (I carry Farmers). I do know that because of insurance reasons aftermarket companies need to carry a shit ton (thats metric) of liability insurance. I dont think that in a private sale to a customer interested in a truck that had the prerunner look would care about the frame. However, trade in wise it might cause an issue. I dont plan on trading it in anytime soon so Im not worried. Anyways cutting the frame horns of is nothing compared to what I have planned next.HAHA

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ditto, I've even heard doing a rollcage or rollbar technicaly can qualify as frame damage since you're welding things to the frame that weren't factory. It's all dependent on resale though. I have zero plans of ever selling my 00 HD truck, so the 10 point cage was a no brainer. May be similar cases for guys and their Raptors, may not. There's still a lot of really good looking bumpers that don't require you to cut the frame though, so for those where eventual resale down the road is a potential, that may be a better route.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would like to get technical about it if possible. I can see how "frame damage" might hurt resale value, but if that wasn't a concern, are there any other issues ?

I'm mostly worried about insurance I guess, would it be similar to running tires that aren't DOT Approved ? So, if you were to be involved in a crash, your carrier might not cover you because the vehicle's frame was damaged/modified ?

Eh... Taking off the front of the frame isnt as bad as running without a swaybar or without approved DOT tires!!! Taking the frame horn off would never cause a accident... Now driving around without a swaybar or non approved DOT tires could be the cause of an accident... and anytime you modify anything on a vehicle you are suppose to contact the insurance and let them know so they can change the coverage...