Where for shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmfedie

Reaction score
Hey all, have been paying more attention to the ride quality of my 2019, 96k miles. Feels very stiff...I remember on one of the forums someone mentioning that when the shocks go bad, they defer to full stiffness mode. Is this the case? Also, I want to get them looked at...should I take to a dealer and make sure a tech there knows raptors? Or somewhere else? Thanks much!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If you have never changed the shocks, they’re well past service life expectancy. I’m pushing my ’17 at 59.75k but am accumulating the parts for a makeover.
You should start looking 30k miles ago for a replacement set.

new - stealership, rock auto, tasca maybe others. Fleabay is an option, but count on doing a rebuild on them.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I gotta do mine I’m a bit over @62k. Ride is still ok.

Are you gonna do new replacement or rebuild Smurf?

How about the springs? Are they ok to reuse?

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I picked up Jen Too live valve take offs and just got them back from SDI. Next up will be e-click controller, then the install and lastly, shock swap. Not looking forward to it.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I picked up Jen Too live valve take offs and just got them back from SDI. Next up will be e-click controller, then the install and lastly, shock swap. Not looking forward to it.
Are you keeping the original springs? Doing any other suspension work like ball joints/A-arms or sway bar end links?

My ‘20 has 73k miles & suspension finally starting to show it- w/ family/dogs in truck & twin waverunner trailer Hooked up Im a little nose high depending if anything in the bed or angle, last 2 summers the truck was level or still had slight rake w/ same setup. Also had one of em buzzing in the rear but that’s since subsided.

I’ve mentioned before…w/ these live valves it seems to make more sense to buy new than rebuild (esp when factoring in the $$$ from selling your take-offs) but breaking it down….my A arms/ball joints still look fine, but…Deaver +3HD leafs @ $1650 + Geiser springs +2.5 @ $600, bump stop kit @ $250, 4 new OEM live valve shocks @ like $3300ish + install it’s gonna be breaking $6k it seems like.

My truck is paid for & well maintained & otherwise have had no issues, but it seems stupid to dump $6k+ into a 4+ year old truck w/ 73k+ miles when it’s worth like $40k trade at least & could get a brand new Gen3 base for like $80k probably dropping pricing on those too, may be better move to just take the $6k I’d have to put into the suspension on my gen2 & use toward a down payment on a gen3

Tough decision, like I say my gen2 is flawless, just did the brakes, has had the T-case/trans/diff fluids swapped a 2-3x including recently…

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Are you keeping the original springs? Doing any other suspension work like ball joints/A-arms or sway bar end links?
leafs, yes, front springs gettin’ swapped with the new-to-me live valves. will do an e-click system as well because live valves don’t adjust very well on pre 2019 trucks ;-)
I’ve mentioned before…w/ these live valves it seems to make more sense to buy new than rebuild (esp when factoring in the $$$ from selling your take-offs) but breaking it down….my A arms/ball joints still look fine, but…Deaver +3HD leafs @ $1650 + Geiser springs +2.5 @ $600, bump stop kit @ $250, 4 new OEM live valve shocks @ like $3300ish + install it’s gonna be breaking $6k it seems like.
why do you _need_ rear leafs and Geisers? bump stop I get. Live valve rebuild set me back 200/shock. If I’d just done the bypass, I’d have had all 4 for 1900 OTD- one had a leak but were otherwise in excellent shape, they were “take offs” from I think Roush(?) I feel you. My truck is older, but lower miles and no way I’m getting any kind of trade return value / resale on adding live valves, it’s just for me.
My truck is paid for & well maintained & otherwise have had no issues, but it seems stupid to dump $6k+ into a 4+ year old truck w/ 73k+ miles when it’s worth like $40k trade at least & could get a brand new Gen3 base for like $80k probably dropping pricing on those too, may be better move to just take the $6k I’d have to put into the suspension on my gen2 & use toward a down payment on a gen3
It’s going to depend on your goals and use case. My next new vehicle will be an addition if all goes well, not a replacement.

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey all, have been paying more attention to the ride quality of my 2019, 96k miles. Feels very stiff...I remember on one of the forums someone mentioning that when the shocks go bad, they defer to full stiffness mode. Is this the case? Also, I want to get them looked at...should I take to a dealer and make sure a tech there knows raptors? Or somewhere else? Thanks much!

Fox recommends to rebuilt the factory shocks at 50K miles with all street use. Offroad miles they wear out faster.

The great thing about these shocks is you don’t need to buy new. You can have them rebuilt for about $200 a shock. There are multiple places that do rebuilds. TSW, SDI. I myself have used SDI multiple times on my factory shocks and last month on my FRS shocks.
If you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask. Happy to help here at Apollo Optics.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m at 84,000 miles on my Raptor. It still feels good, but I know I should get my shocks serviced soon. Does anyone know the correct part number for the 2019 live valve shocks?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I may buy new. Kind of inconvenient to have my truck laying about waiting for shocks to be rebuilt.

Rock Auto seems to have the best price.

Id like to try rebuilding a set myself just out of pure interest.