What fog lights have the amber backlight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would avoid the Rigid lights... you can get MORE light for LESS $$ with Diode Dynamics (not exactly apples to apples but in the long run). PLUS you can get the amber back-light you want as well. So it's a WIN WIN. Get the patterns you want for ON ROAD and OFF ROAD use AND get amber back-lighting.

BUT if you have your heart set on Rigid who am I to get in the way, as we DO offer the Rigid lights. But honestly nobody seems to buy those anymore. They buy Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics because of quality/output/price.

Our Rigid Kit is here: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-2020-ford-raptor-triple-fog-light-kit-w-rigid-industries-d-series/

Starts $ 799

The Diode Dynamics Kits are here and start at $729: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-2...og-light-kit-w-diode-dynamics-stage-series-3/

But don't forget use coupon code FOGS to save even more. For the price/output power/features... can't go wrong with Diode Dynamics.

Baja Designs is my go to for Raptors due to just quality... they make the best lights. But when it comes down to output power and price... Diode Dynamics since their Max are insanely bright.

For comparison Rigid SAE Fogs put out 3445 raw lumen compared to Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro which do 5,796 raw lumen (the sports do 2,262 raw lumen)

Rigid D-Series Do 3,168 raw lumen and again SS3 Pro are 5,796 raw lumen or 2,262 raw lumen for Sports.

So a Rigid kit w/SAE and the other 2x D-Series would be $864 retail and the Diode Dynamics with SS3 Pro around would be $1,149 retail so yes there IS a jump in price but you also get that back-lighting AND you get more light now as well.

Quote: 4x4truckleds.com

"I would avoid the Rigid lights... you can get MORE light for LESS $$ with Diode Dynamics (not exactly apples to apples but in the long run). PLUS you can get the amber back-light you want as well. So it's a WIN WIN. Get the patterns you want for ON ROAD and OFF ROAD use AND get amber back-lighting.

BUT if you have your heart set on Rigid who am I to get in the way, as we DO offer the Rigid lights. But honestly nobody seems to buy those anymore. They buy Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics because of quality/output/price."

Lets not put our personal preferences in peoples heads as to what is BETTER or WORSE.
ALL 3 brands, Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode are FANTASTIC. Each however has their OWN caveat and string of features and benefits that all meet different needs for different people in different situations. For some it is backlights. For others its the look of the LP4's. For some its the Amber Pro from Rigid or the Radiance, Others its the Diode Backlighting.

The quote to Avoid Rigid because "Honestly nobody seems to buy those anymore" is a defamation statement and I would be careful with that. Not only could Rigid Sue you, but they might cut you off from selling their products. For reference, here are company stats from Zoom info. As you see, Rigid has a revenue of $17.7M, Baja has a revenue of $21.7M and Diode has a Revenue of $9.2M.

Does that mean Diode is a bad company? Of course not, and Diode is growing a lot. Actually, Baja seems to sell the most of the 3. What it does say though, is that Rigid isn't "Going out of business" because "Honestly, nobody seems to buy those anymore."

All I ask as a fellow Sponsoring member, is that we try to stick to facts, and not salesy comments to sell our preference. I prefer people be clearly educated so they can make up their OWN minds on what they like or dislike as all 3 companies offer fantastic options, but for clearly different scenarios.

Rankings For Rigid, Baja and Diode

Baja Designs - https://www.zoominfo.com/c/baja-designs-inc/9587391

Rigid - https://www.zoominfo.com/c/rigid-industries-ltd/348529265

Diode Dynamics - https://www.zoominfo.com/c/diode-dynamics/352593400

For the other comment on Diode being LESS EXPENSIVE is also untrue. At least is can be misinterpreted. Even at more lumens for less money as Raw Lumens are not accurate.

In a full size 3x3 (in general, STD) Pod light:
The Radiance is the cheapest at $181 but it has 900 Raw lumens. (Backlight)
Radiance Scene $299 with 2970 Raw lumens (Backlight)
Rigid (D-Series) Pro Spot and Floods are $236 with 3168 Raw lumens
Rigid (D-Series) Drivings are $422 with 4762 Raw lumens
Rigid (D-SS Sideshooter) Drivings are $535 with 7128 Raw lumens
Baja (Squadron) Sports are $249 with 3162 lumens (Not stated Raw or Measured)
Baja (Squadron) Pros are $429 with 4,095 lumens (Not stated Raw or Measured)
Diode Sport (SC3) are $200 (no backlight) and $240 (with backlight) with 2262 Raw Lumens (1520 measured)
Diode PRO (SC3) are $300 (no backlight) and $340 (with backlight) with 5796 Raw Lumens (3000 measured)
Diode Max (SC3) are $500 (no backlight) and $540 (with backlight) with 7920 Raw Lumens (3500 measured)

As you can see, these numbers are all over the board. A Diode Max with a 7920 Raw Lumen count is rated the highest in RAW lumens, but it is also $500 or $540 per pair with backlights, which makes it the MOST expensive of all. While the Radiance at $181 is the least expensive, but in comparison the lowest lumen rating.

Within any of these brands, one can find the right price and feature/functions to fit what they like. What is best for them. NONE of the brands are bad, poor quality or in any way inferior to each other. They are simply DIFFERENT. Why would someone buy a Raptor over an F-250? Is the Raptor better? Well in some ways YES... In other ways, the F-250 is better. It really comes down to how you want to use them and what features you want. Can you tow a 5th wheel with a Raptor? Probably not. Can you take an F-250 on a Baja Run? LOL, not if you value your teeth..

When it comes to lumen counts, this is another area that unfortunately gets a bit twisted in general out there by everyone. In general RAW LUMEN ratings are just about pointless to use as comparison. Unfortunately Rigid only posts Raw lumens, and Baja doesn't state either way. The 3rd party link below gives a definition of the difference.

So if you notice on the Diode Max, the RAW lumens are 7920 but the effective (measured) lumens are 3500. The Pro Diode is 5796 Raw and 3000 effective. So is it worth going from $340 to $540 for 500 USABLE lumens? For some, maybe? for others? Maybe not... These are the questions an educated public can ask themselves without any static noise out there. What is best for YOU... Not me... Not the other guy.... YOU!
This is just a great comparison, because fortunately Diode does post both ratings to compare.

One last thing to touch on for the Raw lumens. I come from the auto world. For 2 decades, I worked with Mustangs, Shelbys. Raptors, Drag Strips, etc. Many of you understand this as well and understand what "Flywheel Horsepower" is vs "Rear Wheel Horsepower". That how you need to think about Raw Lumens vs Effective or "Measured" Lumens. Raw lumens are what the LED's are capable of in the BEST conditions... Not what you get. Just like Flywheel HP, it can get eaten away in the drive train. Things like case size, reflectors, power levels to the LED, all have an effect.

Since these numbers are often skewed by manufacturers all claiming to be better than one another and some posting Raw (most) vs measured, it can be tough to really know which is brighter. However, you can't always just rely on something for being brighter. Its how it is applied. The pattern, the spread. For example, you could have all the power in the world in one tiny spot that doesn't do anything good for you. It doesn't light up what you need. Do you need long and narrow? or wide and close? Just like how a heavier vehicle can lose a race to a lighter vehicle with less HP... Some may have to do with the weight, but also to the guts (transmission, gear ratios, etc, in comparison cases, reflectors, beam consistency) Also the distance. Remember the further away they less light you get as well. So lumens are reduced in distance. This is why many people like to use Candela measurements.

So whoever out there is choosing a light or lights for your vehicle. Just understand, it is more complicated, yet even more simple at the same time to choose, because it is first and foremost what you like, what fits in your budget, what fits in your vehicle, and what accomplishes what you want it to do. Not "This brand is better or that." With any of the 3 mentioned, you ARE getting the best. Rigid and Baja have Lifetime warranties (Radiance is 10) and Diode has an 8 year warranty. They all cover their products because they last. Its just a matter of which fits your needs as they ALL have different features and benefits.

We will be doing some more video demos and testing of measured lumens with all the brands and models soon so you have a level comparison as well as some cool feature demos.

So we don't care who you buy your lights from. Just as long as you have the correct information.

I hope this has helped clear up any confusion.

John

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quote: 4x4truckleds.com

"I would avoid the Rigid lights... you can get MORE light for LESS $$ with Diode Dynamics (not exactly apples to apples but in the long run). PLUS you can get the amber back-light you want as well. So it's a WIN WIN. Get the patterns you want for ON ROAD and OFF ROAD use AND get amber back-lighting.

BUT if you have your heart set on Rigid who am I to get in the way, as we DO offer the Rigid lights. But honestly nobody seems to buy those anymore. They buy Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics because of quality/output/price."

Lets not put our personal preferences in peoples heads as to what is BETTER or WORSE.
ALL 3 brands, Rigid, Baja Designs and Diode are FANTASTIC. Each however has their OWN caveat and string of features and benefits that all meet different needs for different people in different situations. For some it is backlights. For others its the look of the LP4's. For some its the Amber Pro from Rigid or the Radiance, Others its the Diode Backlighting.

The quote to Avoid Rigid because "Honestly nobody seems to buy those anymore" is a defamation statement and I would be careful with that. Not only could Rigid Sue you, but they might cut you off from selling their products. For reference, here are company stats from Zoom info. As you see, Rigid has a revenue of $17.7M, Baja has a revenue of $21.7M and Diode has a Revenue of $9.2M.

Does that mean Diode is a bad company? Of course not, and Diode is growing a lot. Actually, Baja seems to sell the most of the 3. What it does say though, is that Rigid isn't "Going out of business" because "Honestly, nobody seems to buy those anymore."

All I ask as a fellow Sponsoring member, is that we try to stick to facts, and not salesy comments to sell our preference. I prefer people be clearly educated so they can make up their OWN minds on what they like or dislike as all 3 companies offer fantastic options, but for clearly different scenarios.

Rankings For Rigid, Baja and Diode

Baja Designs - https://www.zoominfo.com/c/baja-designs-inc/9587391

Rigid - https://www.zoominfo.com/c/rigid-industries-ltd/348529265

Diode Dynamics - https://www.zoominfo.com/c/diode-dynamics/352593400

For the other comment on Diode being LESS EXPENSIVE is also untrue. At least is can be misinterpreted. Even at more lumens for less money as Raw Lumens are not accurate.

In a full size 3x3 (in general, STD) Pod light:
The Radiance is the cheapest at $181 but it has 900 Raw lumens. (Backlight)
Radiance Scene $299 with 2970 Raw lumens (Backlight)
Rigid (D-Series) Pro Spot and Floods are $236 with 3168 Raw lumens
Rigid (D-Series) Drivings are $422 with 4762 Raw lumens
Rigid (D-SS Sideshooter) Drivings are $535 with 7128 Raw lumens
Baja (Squadron) Sports are $249 with 3162 lumens (Not stated Raw or Measured)
Baja (Squadron) Pros are $429 with 4,095 lumens (Not stated Raw or Measured)
Diode Sport (SC3) are $200 (no backlight) and $240 (with backlight) with 2262 Raw Lumens (1520 measured)
Diode PRO (SC3) are $300 (no backlight) and $340 (with backlight) with 5796 Raw Lumens (3000 measured)
Diode Max (SC3) are $500 (no backlight) and $540 (with backlight) with 7920 Raw Lumens (3500 measured)

As you can see, these numbers are all over the board. A Diode Max with a 7920 Raw Lumen count is rated the highest in RAW lumens, but it is also $500 or $540 per pair with backlights, which makes it the MOST expensive of all. While the Radiance at $181 is the least expensive, but in comparison the lowest lumen rating.

Within any of these brands, one can find the right price and feature/functions to fit what they like. What is best for them. NONE of the brands are bad, poor quality or in any way inferior to each other. They are simply DIFFERENT. Why would someone buy a Raptor over an F-250? Is the Raptor better? Well in some ways YES... In other ways, the F-250 is better. It really comes down to how you want to use them and what features you want. Can you tow a 5th wheel with a Raptor? Probably not. Can you take an F-250 on a Baja Run? LOL, not if you value your teeth..

When it comes to lumen counts, this is another area that unfortunately gets a bit twisted in general out there by everyone. In general RAW LUMEN ratings are just about pointless to use as comparison. Unfortunately Rigid only posts Raw lumens, and Baja doesn't state either way. The 3rd party link below gives a definition of the difference.

So if you notice on the Diode Max, the RAW lumens are 7920 but the effective (measured) lumens are 3500. The Pro Diode is 5796 Raw and 3000 effective. So is it worth going from $340 to $540 for 500 USABLE lumens? For some, maybe? for others? Maybe not... These are the questions an educated public can ask themselves without any static noise out there. What is best for YOU... Not me... Not the other guy.... YOU!
This is just a great comparison, because fortunately Diode does post both ratings to compare.

One last thing to touch on for the Raw lumens. I come from the auto world. For 2 decades, I worked with Mustangs, Shelbys. Raptors, Drag Strips, etc. Many of you understand this as well and understand what "Flywheel Horsepower" is vs "Rear Wheel Horsepower". That how you need to think about Raw Lumens vs Effective or "Measured" Lumens. Raw lumens are what the LED's are capable of in the BEST conditions... Not what you get. Just like Flywheel HP, it can get eaten away in the drive train. Things like case size, reflectors, power levels to the LED, all have an effect.

Since these numbers are often skewed by manufacturers all claiming to be better than one another and some posting Raw (most) vs measured, it can be tough to really know which is brighter. However, you can't always just rely on something for being brighter. Its how it is applied. The pattern, the spread. For example, you could have all the power in the world in one tiny spot that doesn't do anything good for you. It doesn't light up what you need. Do you need long and narrow? or wide and close? Just like how a heavier vehicle can lose a race to a lighter vehicle with less HP... Some may have to do with the weight, but also to the guts (transmission, gear ratios, etc, in comparison cases, reflectors, beam consistency) Also the distance. Remember the further away they less light you get as well. So lumens are reduced in distance. This is why many people like to use Candela measurements.

So whoever out there is choosing a light or lights for your vehicle. Just understand, it is more complicated, yet even more simple at the same time to choose, because it is first and foremost what you like, what fits in your budget, what fits in your vehicle, and what accomplishes what you want it to do. Not "This brand is better or that." With any of the 3 mentioned, you ARE getting the best. Rigid and Baja have Lifetime warranties (Radiance is 10) and Diode has an 8 year warranty. They all cover their products because they last. Its just a matter of which fits your needs as they ALL have different features and benefits.

We will be doing some more video demos and testing of measured lumens with all the brands and models soon so you have a level comparison as well as some cool feature demos.

So we don't care who you buy your lights from. Just as long as you have the correct information.

I hope this has helped clear up any confusion.

John
Thank you for the great info.

Noplacelikeloam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whooa, lots of opinions in here, and good ones too. Just to throw some water on the fire, I will say, having bought lights and other toys from both 4x4 and SPV, they are both outstanding dealers with 1st class product and really know their stuff. Cant go wrong here.

So now I have my popcorn . . . . what are you going with? ;-)

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whooa, lots of opinions in here, and good ones too. Just to throw some water on the fire, I will say, having bought lights and other toys from both 4x4 and SPV, they are both outstanding dealers with 1st class product and really know their stuff. Cant go wrong here.

So now I have my popcorn . . . . what are you going with? ;-)
I was starting to feel like the water was needed too. ;)

I'm leaning towards the Rigid D-Series kit. I like the OEM look of the Raptor small lights, but to upgrade those is just too much money versus you get, for my tastes at least. I like Diode Dynamics 3" lights, but in my opinion they're too big for the opening on a Gen 3. The Baja Designs 3" lights are awesome, but I don't believe they make a true SAE fog pattern. Rigid Radiance Scene look amazing and appear to be extremely bright, but my goals are to have a more useful aimed light for my money than a "cool looking" one.

So i think if I were going for appearance, I'd be the Rigid Radiance Scene. If I'm going for most useful light for the $$, it sounds like the Rigid Spot, Fog, and Driving kit is the best for me. That being said, I think all 3 brands are awesome and would understand if someone decides to buy something different than I will.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only ones I have found after doing some searching on here is the rigid radiance? Are there others and if so can you attach pictures im looking at adding some fog/fog light kit. Thank

Rigid Radiance
This response is correct; I have them on my truck. Please note that the backlighting is not visible unless it is really dark outside. The backlighting also do not project any light onto the road and it can't be seen at all if you are using the fog light (the fog light drowns out the backlight color and it becomes completely invisible).

Last edited:

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was starting to feel like the water was needed too. ;)

I'm leaning towards the Rigid D-Series kit. I like the OEM look of the Raptor small lights, but to upgrade those is just too much money versus you get, for my tastes at least. I like Diode Dynamics 3" lights, but in my opinion they're too big for the opening on a Gen 3. The Baja Designs 3" lights are awesome, but I don't believe they make a true SAE fog pattern. Rigid Radiance Scene look amazing and appear to be extremely bright, but my goals are to have a more useful aimed light for my money than a "cool looking" one.

So i think if I were going for appearance, I'd be the Rigid Radiance Scene. If I'm going for most useful light for the $$, it sounds like the Rigid Spot, Fog, and Driving kit is the best for me. That being said, I think all 3 brands are awesome and would understand if someone decides to buy something different than I will.

Baja Designs' new SAE lights are amazing. We have them in stock now and compared to their old SAE lights it's a HUGE improvement. VERY wide, VERY clear, LOTS of light. The old SAE lights were not that great but the new ones... WOW. We're really impressed.

I agree the Diode Dynamics are a bit big, but do put out the most light for their SAE pattern. You CAN fit 3 in the bumper though with our brackets just fine on the Gen2 and Gen3, but yeah on the G3 it does get a bit tight with that last set of lights.

Radiance lights just don't have a proper pattern. It's good if you just care about a cheap set of lights, but honestly the Radiance don't have a street legal pattern or anything you can really use on a public road. It's more of a flood light rather then something that throws light down range or in a proper wide pattern (which is why the Diode lights are a great replacement, since they offer back-lighting and have proper patterns).

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Baja Designs' new SAE lights are amazing. We have them in stock now and compared to their old SAE lights it's a HUGE improvement. VERY wide, VERY clear, LOTS of light. The old SAE lights were not that great but the new ones... WOW. We're really impressed.

I agree the Diode Dynamics are a bit big, but do put out the most light for their SAE pattern. You CAN fit 3 in the bumper though with our brackets just fine on the Gen2 and Gen3, but yeah on the G3 it does get a bit tight with that last set of lights.

Radiance lights just don't have a proper pattern. It's good if you just care about a cheap set of lights, but honestly the Radiance don't have a street legal pattern or anything you can really use on a public road. It's more of a flood light rather then something that throws light down range or in a proper wide pattern (which is why the Diode lights are a great replacement, since they offer back-lighting and have proper patterns).
For anyone who already has purchased any of Baja's previous model SAE lights, they are doing a free program to upgrade the internals including circuit boards, optics, and lenses of the previous version to match the newest SAE they just released. This is open to all previous generation Squadron SAE owners at no cost.
Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone is wanting to upgrade their lighting from the previous model.
Here is a link to that program: https://www.bajadesigns.com/sae-upgrade-program/

We do also have the new Baja Designs SAE lights in stock and ready to ship for those who have not purchased them yet and are wanting to get them. Baja is currently running a 6-8 week lead-time on new orders for those, so if you want them order them fast because we have run through a lot of what we just got in already.

...And for the record, there is a difference between "cheap" and "less expensive."
The Rigid Scene lights (just like the Radiance) are under $300 with approximately 3k lumens (vs 900 lumens for $181 for the Standard Radiance).
So, they are "less expensive" based on output, but they are NOT "cheap." Other Chinese rebranded lights that are mass-produced with various brand names are indeed "cheap" lights (I won't mention those "brands" by name, but we do not sell them). Those are the ones to watch out for and be leery of buying.
Baja Designs, Rigid, Diode, Morimoto ALL make high-quality lights with various features, patterns, and price-points based on NOT "cheap" quality, but rather based on features and/or output.

For example, just because Ford makes an F-150 XL work truck with less bells and whistles doesn't mean it's a "cheap" truck. It just means it is less expensive than a Ford F-150 Raptor based on its content, equipment, and features.

Rigid carries a 10-year warranty on their Radiance Series and lifetime warranty on most everything else (Original purchaser/nontransferable).
Baja Designs also carries a lifetime warranty on all of their lights (Original purchaser/nontransferable).
Morimoto, too, carries a limited lifetime warranty on most of their offroad lights (Original purchaser/nontransferable).
Diode offers a 3-year replacement warranty, followed by a 5-year limited warranty on their lights (Original purchaser/nontransferable).

Just thought I'd clarify all of that because, you know, transparency and all that jazz, which is pretty important and valid when you're looking to spend your hard-earned money on lighting for your truck.

If anyone ever needs to ask an honest question and wants an honest, transparent answer in return, you can always DM me or call/text/email me.
We will ALWAYS be honest to a fault with our customers. No reason to try and glean over important info just to make a sale. I'd rather my customers be happy and excited with their purchase no matter what.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk! ✌

-Sidney @ SPV Parts
[email protected]

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For anyone who already has purchased any of Baja's previous model SAE lights, they are doing a free program to upgrade the internals including circuit boards, optics, and lenses of the previous version to match the newest SAE they just released. This is open to all previous generation Squadron SAE owners at no cost.
Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone is wanting to upgrade their lighting from the previous model.
Here is a link to that program: https://www.bajadesigns.com/sae-upgrade-program/

We do also have the new Baja Designs SAE lights in stock and ready to ship for those who have not purchased them yet and are wanting to get them. Baja is currently running a 6-8 week lead-time on new orders for those, so if you want them order them fast because we have run through a lot of what we just got in already.

...And for the record, there is a difference between "cheap" and "less expensive."
The Rigid Scene lights (just like the Radiance) are under $300 with approximately 3k lumens (vs 900 lumens for $181 for the Standard Radiance).
So, they are "less expensive" based on output, but they are NOT "cheap." Other Chinese rebranded lights that are mass-produced with various brand names are indeed "cheap" lights (I won't mention those "brands" by name, but we do not sell them). Those are the ones to watch out for and be leery of buying.
Baja Designs, Rigid, Diode, Morimoto ALL make high-quality lights with various features, patterns, and price-points based on NOT "cheap" quality, but rather based on features and/or output.

For example, just because Ford makes an F-150 XL work truck with less bells and whistles doesn't mean it's a "cheap" truck. It just means it is less expensive than a Ford F-150 Raptor based on its content, equipment, and features.

Rigid carries a 10-year warranty on their Radiance Series and lifetime warranty on most everything else (Original purchaser/nontransferable).
Baja Designs also carries a lifetime warranty on all of their lights (Original purchaser/nontransferable).
Morimoto, too, carries a limited lifetime warranty on most of their offroad lights (Original purchaser/nontransferable).
Diode offers a 3-year replacement warranty, followed by a 5-year limited warranty on their lights (Original purchaser/nontransferable).

Just thought I'd clarify all of that because, you know, transparency and all that jazz, which is pretty important and valid when you're looking to spend your hard-earned money on lighting for your truck.

If anyone ever needs to ask an honest question and wants an honest, transparent answer in return, you can always DM me or call/text/email me.
We will ALWAYS be honest to a fault with our customers. No reason to try and glean over important info just to make a sale. I'd rather my customers be happy and excited with their purchase no matter what.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk! ✌

-Sidney @ SPV Parts
[email protected]

SAE lights IN STOCK at our warehouse ready to go :)

_nc_ohc=2704MA2C6J8AX_5mo6U&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg