Weird spot on paint by sunroof. Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Butterz

Reaction score
Yea awesome on Ford for approving it! From the report it shows that it’s covered under the 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty.

I’m thinking the buffeting is from the door seals not completely clamping down. I tried pulling portions off and squeezing it back together but it always pops back out.IMG_3941.jpeg

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sprayed the truck down after all the rains here in San Diego and saw this mark on the paint I’ve never seen before. It’s up front on the passenger side by the sunroof.

Anyone have any ideas? Will call the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at. Hopefully it’s covered by the paint protection warranty? It’s smooth but looks really bad. View attachment 450101
Just admit it, you sat your Starbucks there.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's crazy. Glad it's getting fixed! Also strange a tint shop would have tinted your sunroof. Did you have to sign a waiver? Sunroofs tend to pop (blow out) if they are tinted....

OP
OP
B

Butterz

Reaction score
whats the fix? reclear or repaint? did you bring it up to the tinter?
Service advisor said it was a complete repaint of the roof section. The part the body shop found was the roof panel caulking peeling and cracking.

The repaired section.
IMG_3953.jpeg

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's crazy. Glad it's getting fixed! Also strange a tint shop would have tinted your sunroof. Did you have to sign a waiver? Sunroofs tend to pop (blow out) if they are tinted....
This is untrue of modern window tinting. That was true of the crappy film they used in the 90’s. Getting my sunroof tinted was a necessity. Now I can actually have the shade open and enjoy it on sunny days without getting sunburnt or raising the temperature inside the truck substantially. I did all of my windows and it helps with our crappy AC.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is untrue of modern window tinting. That was true of the crappy film they used in the 90’s. Getting my sunroof tinted was a necessity. Now I can actually have the shade open and enjoy it on sunny days without getting sunburnt or raising the temperature inside the truck substantially. I did all of my windows and it helps with our crappy AC.
I get it. Still happens though (exploding sunroofs) especially on large roof glass. It's not necessarily the fault of the tint. But the increased thermal stress can eccentuate issues in an already flawed piece of glass. And, pop. Would it have went pop anyway eventually, maybe....

It's been a big problem on Jeep WK2's over the years with the dual pane roof. Back glass too. Sure, it's because of flaws in the manufacture of the glass. But, many many many have been tinted as well (more than not).