Warranty/Ford Customer Care - Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmee10

Reaction score
Hello - I'm looking for advice regarding some warranty/TSB issues I currently have. Maybe someone has experience with Fords Customer care department and can help with my expectations of getting my issue resolved.

I've had my Raptor about 7 months now, and have been loving it. 2021 Raptor with 37PP package. Bought in January 2024 and only had 108 miles on the odometer. I believe my Raptor was suffering from the chip crises after Covid as it didn't get sold out from Dearborn MI and registered for the first time around November 2023 by the dealership I purchased it from. There were about 5 2021Raptors that all hit the used market around the same time and all had under 500 miles, and all had not actually been owned individually yet. Mileage now is about 8000 today. When i bought the truck, it was still covered by the Factory Warranty until 5/19/2024. I also purchased a Ford Premium care extended warranty which is good through 2028 or 60k miles.

When I first got my truck, I read through the pinned message on this forum about things to check on the truck when taking delivery. I had many of the little warranty and TSB concerns, such as the drivers seat that was shifting when turning, some software update issues, a leaking shock, and a rattle sound from the exhaust at start up. I took to a local dealership in February 2024 when my odometer hit 3000 while still under factory warranty for my first oil change, and also asked them to check on my list of warranty concerns. The dealership successfully addressed most of my warranty issues except the rattle sound from the exhaust. The techs just said it was normal on my repair paperwork. I had already been without my truck for over a week and I needed it back to get to and from work. I figured I'd try dealing with the exhaust rattle issue again later, and assumed my Ford Premium Care warranty would suffice when the time came to deal with this again. I knew for sure the rattle wasn't correct and I told the dealership about the TSB's online for my issue, but they didn't really dig into it unfortunately.

Fast forward to now, I dropped my truck off at a different Ford Dealership closer to my home for its second oil change and asked them to look into my exhaust rattle issue. The new dealership heard the rattle and agreed it wasn't correct. Problem is they are stating the TSB is not covered by the Ford Premium Care warranty now. They are saying the parts in the TSB are not covered because they are considered maintenance parts... the exhaust actuators and springs need to be changed per the TSB which "might" fix the rattle. Based on my internet digging, it seems the 2021 exhaust rattle was a big issue and many people only got the issue corrected by getting a new muffler as the TSB didn't really fix the rattle. The exhaust rattle would have all been covered by the factory warranty.

After explaining to my service advisor that I had brought up this rattle to a different dealership before and have documented proof of the dealer acknowledging my complaint of a rattle at cold start, my service advisor gave me a number to Fords customer service department and told me to open a case with them to see if they might honor a repair. As a reminder, I have documentation of my complaint while under factory warranty when my odometer at the time was only 3316 and currently at 8000, and there is a TSB out for this known issue of the exhaust rattle.

I successfully opened a case with a Ford customer care rep a week ago. The rep was supposed to follow up with me the next day as she acknowledged the parts weren't covered by the Premium Care warranty, but was going to see if she had some way to get it covered. I haven't heard back, and I have emailed her 2 additional times, left 2 messages, and spoke to 2 other reps whom say they also messaged her to call me. My truck is just sitting at the dealership and I'm stuck taking Uber to and from Work every day, so this is turning into a giant pain now.

My questions:

1 - what are the odds Ford will cover my repair since I have written proof of my complaint while still under factory warranty of the exhaust rattle?
2 - is there any special department or place I should be reaching out to with Ford over this issue? I'm getting frustrated that the person I spoke to and opened a case with is not responding and my Uber bill is racking up.

Any thoughts by anyone who've had to deal with something like this would be greatly appreciated!

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Minimal
2. Not really, especially without pissing off your dealer

Side note, I remember seeing a few of those really early trucks for sale. Your warranty expiring in May puts it at least 2 months from the earliest deliveries / regular production. Does your window sticker say “not for sale”, or something weird? I assumed they used them as auto show trucks or some QA tests.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I change my answer, the TSB specifically states it is eligible under ESP. Just take this up with your dealer/advisor.

OP
OP
jmee10

jmee10

Reaction score
1. Minimal
2. Not really, especially without pissing off your dealer

Side note, I remember seeing a few of those really early trucks for sale. Your warranty expiring in May puts it at least 2 months from the earliest deliveries / regular production. Does your window sticker say “not for sale”, or something weird? I assumed they used them as auto show trucks or some QA tests.
yes, that's exactly what my window sticker says - not for sale. When I bought it, odometer was reading 106... but when it was originally sold by Ford at auction, it had 10 miles according to Carfax when the title was first issued in 11/27/2023. Attached is the carfax.

Attachments

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2021 FORD F-150 RAPTOR_ 1FTFW1RG7MFB13980.pdf
    796 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
jmee10

jmee10

Reaction score
Actually I change my answer, the TSB specifically states it is eligible under ESP. Just take this up with your dealer/advisor.
Thats what I saw as well! But when the dealer looked up the part numbers, the ESP said those parts are not covered. When I go back to read the TSB again, it says to look up the parts for eligibility... not that it is actually covered. I imagine they aren't covering the actuators as they are part of exhaust and they consider that a wear and tear item. Pretty frustrating.

OP
OP
jmee10

jmee10

Reaction score
I suggest you deal with the dealer’s management team in the Service Department and not the Service Advisor. You will probably reach a better outcome.
The dealer my vehicle is at is not the dealer I bought from. I bought in Florida and drove home to Nevada. I can't see the dealer being willing to do my any favors, which is why i had to open a case with Ford Customer care directly - but they have been unresponsive.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, it’s eligible, but coverage depends on the ESP plan that was purchased.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, that's exactly what my window sticker says - not for sale. When I bought it, odometer was reading 106... but when it was originally sold by Ford at auction, it had 10 miles according to Carfax when the title was first issued in 11/27/2023. Attached is the carfax.
Interesting, I wonder what the story on it was. I was originally from the Detroit area and owned a couple vehicles like that, one I confirmed was an exec demo and the other was some sort of emissions testing car.

OP
OP
jmee10

jmee10

Reaction score
Correct, it’s eligible, but coverage depends on the ESP plan that was purchased.
This is the plan I bought - and they are telling me the specific parts on the TSB don't fall under the PremiumCare. I'm at a loss - and Ford is not getting back to me.

1723147043232.png