Used the Raptor to tow home my 944 this weekend.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man

I love the wheels. Turbo right? I bought a 1987 944S in 2001 as my first car. $5k for the car but probably cost me $10k+ after fixing everything wrong with it.

For some reason my dad let me talk myself into to buying it, instead of buying a civic like a smart 16 year old.
How was your insurance? I had a mustang convertible that I never got to drive because a 16 yr old with a mustang cost more per year to insure than I paid for the car..

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it though? It's a truck meant for being comfortable off-road more than for towing. A standard half ton truck has a bit more capacity for weight, and the stiffer ride to show for it.

I agree. This is the 1st tow in 18 months. not what I bought it for. But nice to know in a pinch I can do this.

I barely knew the trailer was on the truck. motor just chugged along and got about 14 mpg at 70mph. I get 15 with no trailer doing 90mph.

Tracked straight and trailer blindspot was great.

Torquebeast

Reaction score
Even with the suspension setup on these raptors geared toward high speed off roading it still has more towing capability than my pickups in the 80’s. If I remember correctly I could only tow 6k with my 2 wheel drive shortbed and 4,500 with my 4 wheel drive. Today’s 1/2 ton trucks have more capacity and towing than the 3/4 tons trucks in my day so to be honest I’m pretty impressed with what these Raptors are capable of. If you tow a lot get something else but occasionally these work fine. You can haul a lot of stuff and stay under the 8k limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. This is the 1st tow in 18 months. not what I bought it for. But nice to know in a pinch I can do this.

I barely knew the trailer was on the truck. motor just chugged along and got about 14 mpg at 70mph. I get 15 with no trailer doing 90mph.

Tracked straight and trailer blindspot was great.

Even with the suspension setup on these raptors geared toward high speed off roading it still has more towing capability than my pickups in the 80’s. If I remember correctly I could only tow 6k with my 2 wheel drive shortbed and 4,500 with my 4 wheel drive. Today’s 1/2 ton trucks have more capacity and towing than the 3/4 tons trucks in my day so to be honest I’m pretty impressed with what these Raptors are capable of. If you tow a lot get something else but occasionally these work fine. You can haul a lot of stuff and stay under the 8k limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've towed our 21' jet boat to the river plenty of times without much issue, but it does slap the bumps a bit. Did it I think once or twice without the deavers, but always with my airbump kit.

Also rented a trailer for a week and towed that thing about 1000 miles total without too much issue. Weight distributing hitch was definitely helpful, and it wasn't like towing with my old Duramax, but it got it done. No issues with power, just a bit of swaying and riding on the airbumps.

PXL_20201004_013952549.jpg

PXL_20201006_213726924.jpg

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was your insurance? I had a mustang convertible that I never got to drive because a 16 yr old with a mustang cost more per year to insure than I paid for the car..

Actually the insurance was pretty cheap. Probably because a 944s was worth basically nothing and really slow.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the insurance was pretty cheap. Probably because a 944s was worth basically nothing and really slow.
So was an 83 Mustang V6 automatic convertible at the time. $800 car and they wanted $1500 a year for liability only. I put a new top on it for $200 and sold it for $2300.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been towing my 16’ enclosed trailer with my Can-Am Maverick X3 just about every weekend lately, about 225 miles round trip, zero issues except for some sag in rear and front of truck elevated as a result. I figure the machine with stuff in it is 1600 lbs, trailer about 2400, so 4K pounds overall. I would not claim to be getting that kind of mpg as OP. He must be driving like an old bag on her way to church on Sunday.

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So was an 83 Mustang V6 automatic convertible at the time. $800 car and they wanted $1500 a year for liability only. I put a new top on it for $200 and sold it for $2300.

Dang nice flip. It's funny right after that Porsche I bought a 1997 Ford explorer that was almost as horrible in terms of reliability. Glad I took another chance on Ford and bought my Raptor.

Pat Gould

Reaction score
I’ve been towing my 16’ enclosed trailer with my Can-Am Maverick X3 just about every weekend lately, about 225 miles round trip, zero issues except for some sag in rear and front of truck elevated as a result. I figure the machine with stuff in it is 1600 lbs, trailer about 2400, so 4K pounds overall. I would not claim to be getting that kind of mpg as OP. He must be driving like an old bag on her way to church on Sunday.
I ended up putting Load Lifter air bags on mine. We tow a 20' trailer with our '21 RZR Pro XP 4 on it and man it sagged like crazy before the air bags. After the air bags, I pump it to 45psi, and levels it out and still rides pretty good. MPG, not so much, I must admit I have a very heavy right foot though!