GEN 2 Transmission programming after replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my transmission woes (and cam phaser replacement #4) are already discussed elsewhere, so I won’t rehash all the reasons and events that led us here… My new 2-post lift will (hopefully) be delivered and installed next week, and my first project in the new garage will be a cab-off R&R of the motor and transmission.

Will also upgrade the turbos, intercooler, exhaust, etc. while I’m in there.

Have a plan brewing for the motor, but still not 100% sure whether I’ll just buy a complete transmission to swap (faster turnaround), or have mine rebuilt. Leaning towards the later, and going with ATS up just NE of Dallas.

My question is: Will I need to do the Ford IDS programming and a transmission relearn if I’m rebuilding/reusing my own transmission?

All the clutches, and the C/D/F housing will definitely be replaced/upgraded, and likely the valve body and torque convertor too. I assume that the relearn will be needed if I do the valve body, but honestly don’t know.

@FordTechOne Any input appreciated. Also, is this something a Ford mobile tech could do? I’d really like to avoid a tow to the dealership for programming after doing all the actual mechanical work here.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There will be programming required, especially if you replace the valve body. The new valve body will have a code/serial number that will be required for the programming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KY7FWB