GEN 2 Trailer interior lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfckelley

Reaction score
Quick question, I have a 7x14 trailer hooked up to my 18 with the pro trailer package or whatever it is called. All the exterior lights work but the interior lights will not come on. Truck running, headlights are on and nothing. I checked the trailer with another truck and they work fine. I recall my previous f150s needing a relay installed, but do not see one in the glove box nor a mention of it in the manual. Anybody know what I’m missing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sigocentral

Reaction score
Maybe try turning on the truck's interior lights using the button next to the headlight ring knob? it's on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Also, check your electrical pins in the connector and clean them if dirty.
best of luck!

OP
OP
sfckelley

sfckelley

Reaction score
Thanks, tried that with no luck. Get this, when I press the brake pedal, the lights come on! Crazy that they will only work when the brake pedal is depressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. I have a 7x14 that I tow with the Raptor all the time and I did not know about this. Does this mean that when the brakes are depressed, the 7 pin connector provides power to the trailer???

I have a Group 31 house battery in my trailer that powers all interior lights / fans / fridge etc. so never looked into whether truck will provide power to trailer. However, it would be nice to find a way for truck to charge the onboard house battery while towing!

OP
OP
sfckelley

sfckelley

Reaction score
I have been researching this anywhere I can, I read over on the F150 forum that the trailer battery charge pin only supplies enough power to "trickle" charge a battery (maybe by only supplying 12 volts when the brake pedal is pressed). I can't understand why Ford decided to do it that way.

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's strange. I would say there is a strange grounding issue in the trailer or there is a wiring issue in the trailer circuit on the truck that has been possibly been there since new, but wasn't apparent until you hooked up a trailer. I have both a 6' X 14' foot utility trailer and a boat trailer that I have pulled with my 2018 802a and have had no issues with either the lights on my trailers or the interior lights on my truck.

Have you by any chance tried a different trailer to see if the issue persists? That might be the first thing I would do. Also, if you are using any kind of plug-in adapter between the trailer and truck plug, I have seen adapters go bad or have internal shorts which wreak havoc and cause strange issues with different lights.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP- I have your same problem! My trailer has interior lights that use power from the truck but do not come on at all. I have not tried pressing the brake in the truck to see if that makes them come on. But I agree, this is BS that the interior trailer lights do not work as they should unless the brake on the truck is depressed if that is the case!

BigCSS78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the time the factory doesn’t have the fus in the spot for the 12 volt charging circuit on the trailer plug. So I would check the fuse box under the hood and you may need to install that fuse. I know my ‘07 gmc was that way and I can’t remember if it was that way on my ‘11 F-450.
Edit: after a little googling it only has power when the vehicle is running. So try it that way and see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sfckelley

sfckelley

Reaction score
Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I read the owners manual thoroughly and contacted Ford about this. There is no fuse or relay that needs to be added to our trucks. Once the plug is connected, the truck should recognize the trailer and send power where it is needed. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday (with very low expectations) and will report back on the outcome. To clarify, this issue is not with the truck's interior lights, it is with the trailer's interior lights. I have tried with the truck running, lights on, parking lights on, lights off, and just about every other conceivable configuration. I read over on another forum that the truck needs to be off prior to connecting the plug and then the brakes held for 3-5 seconds when started in order for the truck to recognize and send power, so I tried that last night and still nothing!

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The charging circuit which would run your lights is only on when the truck is running, otherwise you could leave something on and kill the trucks battery...old school trucks did have constant power...