Towing Capacity, anyone hauled anyting yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbb

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a 17 on order, no build date yet though.

Anyways, the wife and I are looking at getting a toy hauler.

I didn't know if anyone has towed anything with their 17 yet.

I understand what this truck was built for, i was just wondering what current owners feel is about the max towing capacity of this vehicle. I dont want to drive a 3/4 ton, this is the truck i want to own, we dont want a 5th or a monster trailer either.

i didnt know if 7,000 to 8,000 would be too much, and how the shocks and suspension would handle the load.

Just looking to find the compromise on a toy hauler that fits our golf cart, and fits the weight capabilities of the truck. I live in Fl so lots of flat highway miles around the state, mostly 4 hour and under trips.

Thanks for any input.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"I was just wondering what current owners feel is about the max towing capacity of this vehicle"

Really? What owners "feel" is "about" the max towing capacity has nothing to do with anything. All you can legally tow and haul is defined by Ford as the GVWR , GCVWR, and the payload capacity. Exceed those limits and your insurance co will tell you to pound sand if something happens while you are overloaded. If you hit someone, THEIR insurance company will then sue you for being overloaded.

Learn what is legally allowed when it comes to towing/hauling on public roads and base your decisions on that alone.

OP
OP
C

cbb

Reaction score
eric,

if you continue to read, i am really asking is how the truck feels at maxium capacity.

i dont have a vin so i havent been able to go on to the ford vin check and pull the numbers from my vehicle.

i understand the max towing capacity is 8,000 and in my question i was asking about how the vehicle felt towing 7,000 to 8,000 lbs. again not asking about exceeding that ammount

in my previous experience just because a manufacutre says you can tow x doesnt always mean towing x is the best thing to do

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I was just wondering what current owners feel is about the max towing capacity of this vehicle"

Really? What owners "feel" is "about" the max towing capacity has nothing to do with anything. All you can legally tow and haul is defined by Ford as the GVWR , GCVWR, and the payload capacity. Exceed those limits and your insurance co will tell you to pound sand if something happens while you are overloaded. If you hit someone, THEIR insurance company will then sue you for being overloaded.

Learn what is legally allowed when it comes to towing/hauling on public roads and base your decisions on that alone.
Way to go off on a rude rant and miss the point of the thread.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

eric,

if you continue to read, i am really asking is how the truck feels at maxium capacity.

i dont have a vin so i havent been able to go on to the ford vin check and pull the numbers from my vehicle.

i understand the max towing capacity is 8,000 and in my question i was asking about how the vehicle felt towing 7,000 to 8,000 lbs. again not asking about exceeding that ammount

in my previous experience just because a manufacutre says you can tow x doesnt always mean towing x is the best thing to do
I assume you may have seen that the 8k lb tow capacity is contingent upon using a weight distributing trailer hitch. I'm going to be towing a trailer that is around 6500 pounds and assume it should be just fine as I'm also in Florida. My boat is right around eight thousand pounds on the trailer..we will see how that goes. As long as you make sure to stay legal by considering the weight of your cargo in addition to the trailer Etc and take it easy , everything should be good.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Tow_zpszsulggo1.jpg

My Fleetwood Nitrious Hyperlite maxes out at 7700lbs and the Gen1/Gen2 have the same max 8000lbs trailer weight. To be honest I don't know what the GCRW is on the Gen2 but on mine it is 14,700lbs.

I did weigh my truck on this run and I was at 15080lbs. The trailer was 7000lbs and the rear axle was 4540lbs. Front was 3540lbs.

Seeing as how I was over max GCRW by 380lbs I couldn't tell with the way my Raptor handled. I too have Deaver +3 with a load leaf and while I do a RPG bump stop, during the 500+ trip I never hit them on the road. Maybe over a speedbump but I never really noticed the back hitting the bumps.

Gas mileage was horrible around 9MPG. I got better mileage flying through the desert at ROC Fest II... about 11.3MPG!

Be sure to take in to consideration the heavier the trailer, the less you have for your toys. Buying a trailer that is 7500lbs doesn't leave any room for other items... Our Nitrious has 100 gallons of fresh water, 20 gallons of gas for the gen/toys and it has 40/40 for black/grey and dry weight is under a little over 5000lbs.

The Gen2 should have no issues with towing at max weight. The power/suspension is more than enough to handle it the 8000lbs GCRW.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow_zpszsulggo1.jpg

My Fleetwood Nitrious Hyperlite maxes out at 7700lbs and the Gen1/Gen2 have the same max 8000lbs trailer weight. To be honest I don't know what the GCRW is on the Gen2 but on mine it is 14,700lbs.

I did weigh my truck on this run and I was at 15080lbs. The trailer was 7000lbs and the rear axle was 4540lbs. Front was 3540lbs.

Seeing as how I was over max GCRW by 380lbs I couldn't tell with the way my Raptor handled. I too have Deaver +3 with a load leaf and while I do a RPG bump stop, during the 500+ trip I never hit them on the road. Maybe over a speedbump but I never really noticed the back hitting the bumps.

Gas mileage was horrible around 9MPG. I got better mileage flying through the desert at ROC Fest II... about 11.3MPG!

Be sure to take in to consideration the heavier the trailer, the less you have for your toys. Buying a trailer that is 7500lbs doesn't leave any room for other items... Our Nitrious has 100 gallons of fresh water, 20 gallons of gas for the gen/toys and it has 40/40 for black/grey and dry weight is under a little over 5000lbs.

The Gen2 should have no issues with towing at max weight. The power/suspension is more than enough to handle it the 8000lbs GCRW.
Sweet rig!