Torque Converter Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No check engine light on while this happened the other day.
I’ve cleaned MAF sensor and throttle body.
Air filter is brand new.
I didn’t know a vacuum leak could cause that symptom though. I have been having trouble with my canister purge valve. Put one on and it immediately went bad and threw the code so I put another on and now when I fill all the way up with fuel it’ll throw a code and go away after a bit and when it gets all the way low it’ll throw a code so something isn’t quite right. I haven’t checked trans fluid yet but I intend to. Once the truck gets going it shifts like butter. I thank you all for the help
Now that you have shared more info on what is going on it sounds like the charcoal filters in the fuel purge system are contaminated from over filling the fuel tank. A new purge valve should not go bad immediately and the replacement throwing DTC codes indicates there is still a problem with the purge system. When the purge valve sticks open it is a vacuume leak as @MTF mentioned and a vacuume leak will cause an irratic idle condition that can cause the engine to die.

OP
OP
JrockM5

JrockM5

Reaction score
So just to be clear, the truck isn’t merely dying like you would expect if it had a fuel issue.. when I put it in gear it tries hard to go forward while my foot is on the brake. Just like a standard shift would if you let out on the clutch while holding the brake, and it dies as a result of me holding the brake while it tries to pull. It’s idling fine until that point, and again if it clears up it drives completely normal. So we still think a vacuum leak somewhere could cause the issue?