The Gen 1 itch has returned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I keep looking for a video of a Gen1 on a road course racetrack.
There is one VERY close to me (https://grattanracewaypark-mx.com/)and always wondered if some "street" tires would let it get around the track without looking too silly.
I am sure it would get attention no matter what.

OP
OP
FiveOsvt

FiveOsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well…after more thought and opting to test drive the Gen 3 before making a final decision, I ended up in a Gen 3, 2021 code orange 37pp with 11,600 miles. The ride quality and interior fit and finish just blew me away. Aesthetically the Gen 3 is closer to paying homage to a Gen 1. Ford also did a great job with the exhaust note, while still no V8, it’s a sound that I surprisingly like. Will I have the same confidence in it as the Gen 1, likely not but that’s what 8 year 100k mile warranty will be for. I will always have a soft spot for the Gen 1 but the Gen 3 was just that drastic of a difference for me to at least give it a chance for awhile. Good news is if I change my mind, the search will be back on for a Gen 1 in the future. You guys just keep up the hard work of defending the superiority of the Gen 1, I know I can count on that!. Of course pics to prove I didn’t buy a Prius…..IMG_1278.jpegIMG_1288.jpeg

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That newer, modern rear suspension design is so much better than the previous ones. You never have to deal with wheel hop or driveshaft bind, yet you have more travel. A Gen 1 can get up to 18" (with a spring under axle design), but I'll need a $2000 set of Deavers, custom shackles & mounts, a new custom driveshaft, adjustable limit straps, new shocks & a bedcage. That's a ton of money most guys aren't going to invest. The 10R80 transmission should be a better trans than the 6R80, but time will tell. Ask the guys who build them for racing which they prefer, and they say the 6 speed. All the interior "improvements" don't mean much if you use it like a truck, but that's a personal preference. Either way, choosing which version of the Raptor you will own and enjoy is very much a "First-World problem" and there's no wrong answer.

Last edited:

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Well…after more thought and opting to test drive the Gen 3 before making a final decision, I ended up in a Gen 3, 2021 code orange 37pp with 11,600 miles. The ride quality and interior fit and finish just blew me away. Aesthetically the Gen 3 is closer to paying homage to a Gen 1. Ford also did a great job with the exhaust note, while still no V8, it’s a sound that I surprisingly like. Will I have the same confidence in it as the Gen 1, likely not but that’s what 8 year 100k mile warranty will be for. I will always have a soft spot for the Gen 1 but the Gen 3 was just that drastic of a difference for me to at least give it a chance for awhile. Good news is if I change my mind, the search will be back on for a Gen 1 in the future. You guys just keep up the hard work of defending the superiority of the Gen 1, I know I can count on that!. Of course pics to prove I didn’t buy a Prius…..View attachment 459363View attachment 459364
I’ll trade you my gen 1 beadlocks so you can get the nostalgia hahha

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are the stands I finished today, (up here in the Hi Dez, where utility power just blipped off and I was briefly on Generac power); the bed comes off this weekend and now I have a place to store it.

Attachments

• 20240704_073816.jpg
    20240704_073816.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 4