"Terrain management not available" after leaving a parking lot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealership just called, and the tech spent all day working on it and couldn't find anything wrong. The only new piece of information was that the system worked briefly if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

They also said, they didn't want to spend anymore time working on it and to come pick it up. Super helpful.

At this point, I want to try new shock solenoids since that is the only thing to date that has shown the same symptom of no errors but still no terrain management.

Does anyone have the part numbers for those solenoids?

Do you have aftermarket modifications? I don’t get how the dealer could just give up without finding a resolution.

OP
OP
S

S1ackin

Reaction score
Any aftermarket mods?
Just installing lights and a compressor to the upfitter switches. All wiring was done with deutsch connectors and are water tight.

My 2019 bought this past June is currently at the dealer for the same issue. I’ll let you know what I hear back. Before taking it in we went over it with a fine tooth comb checking all the ground points, scanning with the Ford IDS software and we could not find anything that would explain why the truck is refusing to go into any terrain modes. It would be nice if they threw a code explaining why.

I did the same thing. One interesting thing to note, when attaching a scanner to the truck, it would not find the VDM module. Physically located the module, verified connections were solid.
After no call back from my dealer yesterday, I called back to check on the status of their diagnosis (2nd time taking it in, 2nd time being told I can't have a loaner, or a rental).

What I was told sounded like pure ********, "I've seen this happen before, it can happen if you press the drive mode button too many time, or if the modes get stuck in limbo while switching."

I have to believe they only said this because they were talking to my wife, assuming she wouldn't be the wiser :p

Milo12

Reaction score
I had a wheel speed sensor die which caused the same problem. In my case the dead wheel speed sensor also caused the dash to light up like a xmas tree with multiple alarms so I doubt that's your issue.

Don't pick up the truck from the dealer. Force a resolution or it sits on their lot until you can lemon law the truck. Maybe that will get them off their lazy ass.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
(2nd time taking it in, 2nd time being told I can't have a loaner, or a rental).

That's BS. Call Ford customer service and you'll get a car to drive within the hour. Ask me how I know. :) I'd say if they can't fix it, trade it in. Let someone else own the headache.

OP
OP
S

S1ackin

Reaction score
That's BS. Call Ford customer service and you'll get a car to drive within the hour. Ask me how I know. :) I'd say if they can't fix it, trade it in. Let someone else own the headache.
Tried calling, got the runaround there as well. I was told that they'd reimburse me after the repairs were made. I have absolutely no faith in that. Is that the same shit you were told?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried calling, got the runaround there as well. I was told that they'd reimburse me after the repairs were made. I have absolutely no faith in that. Is that the same shit you were told?

Ford’s policy is to offer a loaner/rental (at the company’s expense) on any warranty repair that takes in excess of one day. So either the dealer is not following the policy, or they have reason to believe that the repair is non-warrantable for some reason.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

No, FCS told me that my warranty provided for a loaner and if the dealer didn't have one available that FMC would pay for a rental car. I texted my service advisor "I just found out that you can rent me a car and Ford will pay for it, so it's no skin off your ass. So what's the problem?" He called within minutes and I was in my rental in under an hour. He was upset with FCS for telling me about it. SAs make slime look wholesome. If you just assume that everything they tell you is a lie, you'll be prepared to ask the right questions. Take nothing that they say at face value.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The only new piece of information was that the system worked briefly if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

They also said, they didn't want to spend anymore time working on it and to come pick it up. Super helpful.

Drill Sergeant Booth had a succinct and appropriate response, which I would have quoted back: WRONG ANSWER PRIVATE!

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to spend any more time doing their job for them or not getting my warranty honored, so I’d be leaving it there until they came with the correct answer.

man... the lack of caring and concern is just nuts and very disappointing.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
man... the lack of caring and concern is just nuts and very disappointing.

Disappointing, but not surprising. I took mine in for the camera recall. They said they had ordered the part. I called to confirm that they had it before I went in. When I dropped it off, I confirmed again, since I didn't want to leave it if they didn't have the part. That afternoon I get the call ... we don't have the part, it's back ordered, do you want to leave it here while we order one? F*** no and F*** you, Ford. This is my first and likely my last new Ford. It's a truly awesome truck, but the customer service is so bad it's surreal. I've gone through recalls on most of my vehicles. All were seamless. Ford service is a never-ending Charlie Foxtrot. What's funny, or not, is that I have three friends who are all serious about buying new pickups. One had the Raptor at the top of his list. After hearing about my experiences, none of them are willing to consider a Ford, and I don't blame them. I'm predicting a sweep for Toyota. Ford has a serious problem that they need to address. Building nice vehicles only gets you into the game. Once you're there, you have to play like you want to win or you will lose to a team that hustles.