Super Duty Totaled… 3rd Gen Purchasing Decisions/Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi Guys, first post here. My name is Brandon from Arizona. Recently got in a bad accident my last time home from work and my 2023 super duty was totaled. Real bummer. Luckily Travelers Insurance took really good care of me. It was a 2023 F350 long bed with the HO motor and a lariat. Loved the truck. I was planning to do a full Carli kit on it and 37s. Right now it seems there are some better deals on super duties vs raptors, but I think a raptor would be a lot more fun and better suit me right now. I grew up in the desert in Southern California and my truck before that was a built chevy prerunner with a 6.2 and 37s. I’m well aware of what the raptors are and aren’t capable of, but think one would be a perfect fit for me right now in stock form. I won’t be towing anything too big for next few years probably as I had once planned and I still find myself in the dirt a lot.

Here’s my poor totaled super duty and my old chevy for fun
IMG_7115.jpeg
CBV_7907.jpeg

With that out of the way… reason I’m here is I’m set on buying a new or used 3rd gen raptor from 2021-2024. I’ve got almost 50k to put down on one and trying to decide if brand new is best option or a low miles 2021-2023? A low miles 21-23 seems better purchase for depreciation, but worst interest rates on used vehicle and not knowing how previous owner maintained it and drove it. Would get something with less than 25k miles if used. I’ve been researching quite a bit and in no particular order will list out some questions and observations I’ve made below. Please correct me if anything I mention is wrong and looking forward to some knowledge from some Raptor guys and your opinions on what I should go with. 2021-2024? New/used?

-I really prefer no sunroof if possible as I think it’s only something extra to break and fix and I’ll never use. What year is best chance at getting no sunroof?

-is there any standout motor issues or other truck issues or electrical issues or recalls on any specific year 2021-2024? The cam phaser issue is no worry on 3rd gens correct?

-I know BFGs run small in 37s and I’m a fan of the 37 KM3s and would likely end up running these on the raptor. Would prefer a 37 package, but I can not stand the blue seats. Blue seats are a no go for me. I’ve noticed there is a handful of 2022 models out there with no sunroof, black leather seats, and the 37 package. But also noticed there is no cool grey color in 2022 and the tailgates don’t always have the rectangular raptor deal on tailgate, but only a traditional f150 ford oval on some? What’s the deal here? 2021 and 2023s with 37 package is guaranteed blue seats right?

-I understand how the travel is limited by the bumps for the 37 package and there is more room for a 37 spare, but can likely still fit a BFG 37 in 35 package spare location. Other than the limited travel, is there any other differences such as wheel well clearances on the 37 package raptors? Between 2021-2024 does any specific year fit a spare 37 underneath on base models better than the other?

-I was enjoying the HUD on my 2023 super duty. Looks like 2024+ raptors are the only ones with the heads up display. Also the 2024s have the new gauge cluster and radio same as the 2023+ super duties

-lead foot gray and avalanche are my favorite colors if I had to pick. Don’t see these available in 2022.

-noticing the 2023+ do not have a torsen in the front

-new 2024s are 90+ grand with the 37 package… so crazy. And seems impossible to find them without sunroof. I do like having the HUD on the 24s though and the all black recaros look nice.

All I can think of right now. What are your guys thoughts? What is the best year 3rd gen to buy right now you think? I’ve found a few 2022s I really like with no sunroof and 37 package for good price, but they are missing heads up display (not the end of the world) but only come in white, silver, or black.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
-I really prefer no sunroof if possible as I think it’s only something extra to break and fix and I’ll never use. What year is best chance at getting no sunroof?
Any year. If used, just depends on the luck of the draw on what's available at the time.
When I was looking, Ford tied the power tailgate with the moonroof.
-is there any standout motor issues or other truck issues or electrical issues or recalls on any specific year 2021-2024? The cam phaser issue is no worry on 3rd gens correct?
No. At least to not the concern the Gen 2 had. It is a wear item, but the parts have been revised going back to ~19-20.
Transmission wise I believe after 8/16/22 Ford updated some parts in the trans due to the CDF Drum.
TSB 22-2350 has superseded 22-2428. Not sure if a new TSB is out or that's the final one.
I don't think it's super common, but some have had issues with the CDF drum taking the trans out/costly repairs.
-I know BFGs run small in 37s and I’m a fan of the 37 KM3s and would likely end up running these on the raptor. Would prefer a 37 package, but I can not stand the blue seats. Blue seats are a no go for me. I’ve noticed there is a handful of 2022 models out there with no sunroof, black leather seats, and the 37 package. But also noticed there is no cool grey color in 2022 and the tailgates don’t always have the rectangular raptor deal on tailgate, but only a traditional f150 ford oval on some? What’s the deal here? 2021 and 2023s with 37 package is guaranteed blue seats right?
Depends on the package and options selected. I have a 37PP without the recardos but fully loaded outside of that.
Ford has tweaked the packages over the years. Used to be a 800A and 801A in 21-22.
23, IIRC the 800 was dropped, and the 801 could be either 35 or 37 and the 802 was the R.
24, it's 801 for 35's, 802 for 37 and 803 for R.

-I understand how the travel is limited by the bumps for the 37 package and there is more room for a 37 spare, but can likely still fit a BFG 37 in 35 package spare location. Other than the limited travel, is there any other differences such as wheel well clearances on the 37 package raptors? Between 2021-2024 does any specific year fit a spare 37 underneath on base models better than the other?
Well, there's some threads on the Gen 3 page about 35 trucks fitting the 37's. Depending on offsite and true size of tire some got away with it, some needed to modify to prevent rubbing.
99% sure no changes from 21-24 for spare area.

-I was enjoying the HUD on my 2023 super duty. Looks like 2024+ raptors are the only ones with the heads up display. Also the 2024s have the new gauge cluster and radio same as the 2023+ super duties

Yup for HUD. 24+.

Sucks about the superduty, glad no issues with insurance.

21/22 seem to of had the most options or ability for the torsen diff for example.

Rate wise, Ford offers no incentives for interest for new Raptors, so, just comes down to if you have a good Credit union or $$$ on hand.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
You will only find HUD on 24 or newer. Lead foot was only in 21. The tailgate applique delete you mentioned was because of Covid supply issues. Same reason you won't find heated wheel on later 22s and 23s. Yes Torsen was removed in 23. Sunroofs on 21 and newer seem to be less of an issue than earlier years. 37 package does not always mean blue seats. Had 37 KM3s and I hated them.

RdR2027

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to suggest that if time permits you order a 25. You can get exactly what you want and be able to attend "Raptor Assault". It will take some time, but you will have the exact truck you want with warranty. It seems the ordering process has speeded up for the 25s. Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
@HighwaySentinel Thanks man! Good to hear it sounds like the new sunroofs are improved. If I’m forced in to one maybe won’t be such a big deal. Good to now that appliqué was a deletable option I realize that now. Dang! I loved the KM3s on my old chevy prerunner. The 37s did measure quite small though. I went through 1 set of them and a second set still on the truck when I sold it. I like them looks wise and performance in the desert and decent on-road manners.

@RdR2027 good to know. Wish I was able to wait for a 25’ but I think I need to pick up something sooner than that. I’ll return home from work in mid November and nothing to drive but the wife’s 4Runner right now haha.

@Donmatteo I did really love my super duty, but I think a part of me doesn’t want a new one because I’ll just be comparing it to my old one which was perfectly optioned and hard to find them now ordered that specific way. Could use the raptor quite a bit as I go shooting in the desert 1-2 times a week when I’m home and still shoot offroad photography from time to time at some races.

@kandewinn thanks man! Good to know. I have found a few 2022s with no sunroof and the normal black leather seats with the 37 package. I think that’s the route I’ll probably try to go. Just wish there was a better color option offered in 2022.

JDubbb

Reaction score
Hi Guys, first post here. My name is Brandon from Arizona. Recently got in a bad accident my last time home from work and my 2023 super duty was totaled. Real bummer. Luckily Travelers Insurance took really good care of me. It was a 2023 F350 long bed with the HO motor and a lariat. Loved the truck. I was planning to do a full Carli kit on it and 37s. Right now it seems there are some better deals on super duties vs raptors, but I think a raptor would be a lot more fun and better suit me right now. I grew up in the desert in Southern California and my truck before that was a built chevy prerunner with a 6.2 and 37s. I’m well aware of what the raptors are and aren’t capable of, but think one would be a perfect fit for me right now in stock form. I won’t be towing anything too big for next few years probably as I had once planned and I still find myself in the dirt a lot.

Here’s my poor totaled super duty and my old chevy for fun
View attachment 470992
View attachment 470993

With that out of the way… reason I’m here is I’m set on buying a new or used 3rd gen raptor from 2021-2024. I’ve got almost 50k to put down on one and trying to decide if brand new is best option or a low miles 2021-2023? A low miles 21-23 seems better purchase for depreciation, but worst interest rates on used vehicle and not knowing how previous owner maintained it and drove it. Would get something with less than 25k miles if used. I’ve been researching quite a bit and in no particular order will list out some questions and observations I’ve made below. Please correct me if anything I mention is wrong and looking forward to some knowledge from some Raptor guys and your opinions on what I should go with. 2021-2024? New/used?

-lead foot gray and avalanche are my favorite colors if I had to pick. Don’t see these available in 2022.

-noticing the 2023+ do not have a torsen in the front

-new 2024s are 90+ grand with the 37 package… so crazy. And seems impossible to find them without sunroof. I do like having the HUD on the 24s though and the all black recaros look nice.

All I can think of right now. What are your guys thoughts? What is the best year 3rd gen to buy right now you think? I’ve found a few 2022s I really like with no sunroof and 37 package for good price, but they are missing heads up display (not the end of the world) but only come in white, silver, or black.
Sorry about your Super Duty. I bought my Raptor new in June and paid about $1500 below MSRP. There’s something to be said about going new on a Raptor and being the original owner. Mine sits on 35’s and it does great in Sport Mode. I wouldn’t get to hung up about the moon roof. I never wanted one, but I got it ceramic tented with just a slight tent and it does a great job keeping out the heat and I find myself opening the shade quite a bit. My advice is to shop around for a new one….that way you get the full warranty. I’m not joking when I say I was in my garage every night for the first two months just staring at it. My wife thought I was nuts. That’s how much I love it. Good luck on your search!