Stealth Black Raptor R initial thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to finding a pre-owned Raptor R at a local dealership. Took it for a nice drive on local streets that I'm very familiar with using my own truck. Drove it like I drive my own truck.

It looks good. Sounds amazing. Anything over 1/2 - 2/3 throttle is hilarious. The Recaros are still something I miss that I don't have.

However, and I'm still trying to describe accurately to even myself, it's just "not there" for me. Here's the best way I can say it, I think;

If I didn't have a Raptor already, I'd get an R hands down, zero hesitation. It's good. It's great. It's an animal, I dunno, like a Polar Bear or something. Super good looking, majestic, beautiful, and extremely dangerous. But I have a Raptor. Sure, it's a little bit slower. It sounds equally as badass (though I simply prefer the rumble over the rasp), but there's just something about the dynamics of the driving experience.

If the R is a Polar Bear, the V6 Raptor in my book, is a Grizzly Bear. Still almost as aggressive, a bit smaller (engine size and power), though a little more nimble and dare I say, "refined"...?

Would I drive one? Hell yeah. Do I drool and desire the R as much as I used to? Negative. Do I still envy when I see one? Yep, you bet. But then I'll go into Sport mode, flick the paddles down a few gears and listen to the screaming wail of that V6 and know I'm extremely happy and blessed just the same to be where I'm at.

View attachment 459468
Good write up!

rao26

Reaction score
I finally got around to finding a pre-owned Raptor R at a local dealership. Took it for a nice drive on local streets that I'm very familiar with using my own truck. Drove it like I drive my own truck.

It looks good. Sounds amazing. Anything over 1/2 - 2/3 throttle is hilarious. The Recaros are still something I miss that I don't have.

However, and I'm still trying to describe accurately to even myself, it's just "not there" for me. Here's the best way I can say it, I think;

If I didn't have a Raptor already, I'd get an R hands down, zero hesitation. It's good. It's great. It's an animal, I dunno, like a Polar Bear or something. Super good looking, majestic, beautiful, and extremely dangerous. But I have a Raptor. Sure, it's a little bit slower. It sounds equally as badass (though I simply prefer the rumble over the rasp), but there's just something about the dynamics of the driving experience.

If the R is a Polar Bear, the V6 Raptor in my book, is a Grizzly Bear. Still almost as aggressive, a bit smaller (engine size and power), though a little more nimble and dare I say, "refined"...?

Would I drive one? Hell yeah. Do I drool and desire the R as much as I used to? Negative. Do I still envy when I see one? Yep, you bet. But then I'll go into Sport mode, flick the paddles down a few gears and listen to the screaming wail of that V6 and know I'm extremely happy and blessed just the same to be where I'm at.

View attachment 459468
R exhaust note is better by a mile. Not even close.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of screws, but that's the nicest looking R I've seen.