Shudder / vibration while stopped in drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it and the dealer thinks they tracked it down to a “weight” or some sort of mount at the exhaust hangers by the crossmember at the transfer case

It’s going in April 3 as the parts took a month and every dealer around me is backlogged for months

It has gotten better as the weather has warmed up which is odd

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it and the dealer thinks they tracked it down to a “weight” or some sort of mount at the exhaust hangers by the crossmember at the transfer case

It’s going in April 3 as the parts took a month and every dealer around me is backlogged for months

It has gotten better as the weather has warmed up which is odd
That’s a wild diagnosis by a dealer. Interested to see if this fixes it? If it does, that’s the only dealer I’ve ever heard have a fix for this

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a wild diagnosis by a dealer. Interested to see if this fixes it? If it does, that’s the only dealer I’ve ever heard have a fix for this
Who knows. I agree that it’s in the area they are working in so maybe that’s is. This is where I’m hearing it

Attachments

• DAEC278E-2687-4E51-9D68-2E32ED0C616C.jpeg
    DAEC278E-2687-4E51-9D68-2E32ED0C616C.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 54A6FC25-3416-4A9E-B006-0708B227FC98.jpeg
    54A6FC25-3416-4A9E-B006-0708B227FC98.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 29

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you’re just feeling the vibration of the engine through the truck. I can feel some in my G2, not something I’m concerned with. But I also would not describe it as a shudder, so if maybe G3 is slightly different.
Assuming stable idle RPMs, what would cause this to happen sometimes and not other times?

It's about a 50/50 split for me and if it happens at the first stop light or stop sign it will continue at every stop for that drive. Other times it doesn't happen at my first stop and continues not happening.

Almost makes me think it's a software thing since a "restart" seems to fix it.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s April 4th. Share the news
Still at dealer. While they were fixing the rattle, they also had to fix the non functioning sunroof and all features on the passenger side view mirror not working. I've been without my truck going on three weeks now, for a total of seven weeks since 12/20

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming stable idle RPMs, what would cause this to happen sometimes and not other times?

It's about a 50/50 split for me and if it happens at the first stop light or stop sign it will continue at every stop for that drive. Other times it doesn't happen at my first stop and continues not happening.

Almost makes me think it's a software thing since a "restart" seems to fix it.
From what others have said it seems to be RPM dependent, so the slight variation in idle speed between 600-700 may be the determining factor.

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what others have said it seems to be RPM dependent, so the slight variation in idle speed between 600-700 may be the determining factor.
Interesting. I'll try blipping the throttle next time it happens to see if it goes away.

I did try shifting it into neutral which doesn't help. Shifting to park actually does end up making it go away, but I didn't look at the RPM to see if/how that changed.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is definitely it. I've kept track of it for sure. I'd love to replace the plugs just to see if it smooths things out. Do you have a recommendation of a long one piece spark plug removal socket/tool that makes getting to the rear plugs simple without having to use some type of swivel? I'm a big fan of replacing plugs often since it's cheap and easy, and I'd like the proper tool even if I have to pay for Snap On. I've got a spare coil and plugs to keep inside the vehicle for down in Baja just in case it's needed. I just need the best tool for the job now.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'll try blipping the throttle next time it happens to see if it goes away.

I did try shifting it into neutral which doesn't help. Shifting to park actually does end up making it go away, but I didn't look at the RPM to see if/how that changed.
See, mine goes away in park but not in neutral too. Same symptoms.

Supposedly I will get it Monday or Tuesday and will post if it fixed it and if so, what they did