SCT Tuner with 3 5 Star tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was going to buy a used tuner, but first I called 5Star. Unfortunately what I learned made a used tuner nearly worthless.

Sure, you can buy the tuner, but you have no tunes. You have to purchase the tunes separately - normally you get three free. By the time you pay for the new tunes plus the cost of the tuner it will be more expensive than buying a brand new tuner and getting the free tunes. I forget the exact cost but it was something like $80 apiece. So 3x$80 + $300 = $540. More than a brand new one.

OP
OP
AngryBird

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy a used tuner, but first I called 5Star. Unfortunately what I learned made a used tuner nearly worthless.

Sure, you can buy the tuner, but you have no tunes. You have to purchase the tunes separately - normally you get three free. By the time you pay for the new tunes plus the cost of the tuner it will be more expensive than buying a brand new tuner and getting the free tunes. I forget the exact cost but it was something like $80 apiece. So 3x$80 + $300 = $540. More than a brand new one.

Well of course they are going to tell you that! They want to sell you a new one. :)

The truth is, I doubt the tunes vary that much from truck to truck. Tuning companies that Taylor their tunes to a specific vehicle will usually have you pull a bunch of data out of your computer, which you send to them, and then they custom make a Tune. I'm sure that 5 star has a different tune for trucks with intake and exhaust than ones without. I'd be willing to bet that the tune they give for a 2012 raptor with exhaust and intake is the same across the board. Unless they lock that tuner to a specific VIN number I don't see why it wouldn't work.

How do you think superchips can just sell one tune for all 2012 Raptors?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well of course they are going to tell you that! They want to sell you a new one. :)

The truth is, I doubt the tunes vary that much from truck to truck. Tuning companies that Taylor their tunes to a specific vehicle will usually have you pull a bunch of data out of your computer, which you send to them, and then they custom make a Tune. I'm sure that 5 star has a different tune for trucks with intake and exhaust than ones without. I'd be willing to bet that the tune they give for a 2012 raptor with exhaust and intake is the same across the board. Unless they lock that tuner to a specific VIN number I don't see why it wouldn't work.

How do you think superchips can just sell one tune for all 2012 Raptors?

I'm just going off of what Mike told me. He said you'd have to buy new tunes. The device won't let you use the tunes for truck A on truck B. Yes, it's a money making scheme for sure, but it still won't work - according to what I was told.

Travis_2308

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just going off of what Mike told me. He said you'd have to buy new tunes. The device won't let you use the tunes for truck A on truck B. Yes, it's a money making scheme for sure, but it still won't work - according to what I was told.

I would like to know if this is true. I know for most other tuners, this is not the case.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would like to know if this is true. I know for most other tuners, this is not the case.

It's what 5Star told me over the phone. If you can find conflicting information I'd love to hear it, but I'm not sure how you would get more direct information. Call him yourself if you like.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the pcm code or strategy code is the same you can use the same tuner on two trucks. If it is different, or you have had pcm update from Ford, then you would have to buy new tune.

-Greg

cobradoc

Reaction score
Typically SCT only vins locks, that being said as long as the tuner is returned to stock it will work on another vehicle. The tunes are generally written to PCM code that code may or may not work in a truck with a different code. All you need to verify is the cal code on the PCM.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, it vin locks when the tune is loaded. 5star tunes also require strategy code for the PCM. And it verfies/validates this strategy code prior to loading the tune.

Some people have run into issues with going back to stock before going to a stealership. The tech updates the PCM and then the tuner will not work because the strategy code has been changed.

-Greg