Removal of front shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F1502raptor

Reaction score
Looking at buying new shocks and selling my current OEM fox shocks. From the videos and reading I’ve done I understand I need to:

Remove UCA joint
Remove tie rod end
Loosen sway bar

But where I get stuck is I’ve read a little bit of people disconnecting the IWE vacuum system. Also saw where one video showed to loosen the CV axle nut at the knuckle behind the little silver metal dust boot?

Also saw forged offroad video were they just let the knuckle fall to the side which looked to stress the IWE system and brake lines?

Anyone know of a quick write up or good video of how to do it properly and prevent any damage to other parts?

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do exactly what you said, however i disconnect the sway bar so you can push the LCA down far enough to get the shock out. I've found that you don't need to remove the caliper but do remove the 10mm bolt that holds the line on the spindle. The spindle won't move far enough to stress the lines if you remove that small bracket. I've never removed the vacuum lines either and i've removed front shocks multiple times.

OP
OP
F

F1502raptor

Reaction score
I do exactly what you said, however i disconnect the sway bar so you can push the LCA down far enough to get the shock out. I've found that you don't need to remove the caliper but do remove the 10mm bolt that holds the line on the spindle. The spindle won't move far enough to stress the lines if you remove that small bracket. I've never removed the vacuum lines either and i've removed front shocks multiple times.

Do you remove/loosen the axle nut in the spindle? Or is there no concern of putting pressure/pulling on the axle?

Marlboroman

Reaction score
Good lord don’t loosen the axle nut. Mind what you’re doing with the spindle and pry the lca down. Use some padding and protection not to mar it up and move on. I like gym floor type rubber. Easy to come by and easy to use.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlboroman is correct, you don’t NEED to unbolt the axle nut. If you are careful enough not to let the spindle flop down, or turn too aggressive of an angle, then you will be fine.

The first time I did it, I wasn’t careful enough, and ended up needing 2 new CVs… so I unbolt now.

I don’t undo the brake line/wheel speed sensor retaining bracket bolts or iwe lines. Just the UCA and tie rod. I use a ratchet strap around the top of the spindle connected some point of the UCA, just tight enough to keep it from putting stress on the brake line and wheel speed sensor cable.

I jack up the entire front end, so no need to do the sway bar end links. If only jacking up 1 side at a time, then disconnect the sway bar.

After removing the lower shock bolt, and removing the 3 top shock bolts, I use my 4 ft breaker bar to pry the LCA down enough to get the shock out.

I have gone through this process 5 times.