Removable Winch install on my raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I decided to kick off another project for my raptor before off road season kicks off here soon.

One thing I really wanted last year was a winch, but what prevented me from installing one, was the added weight and the gaudy look to my truck...ultimately it's not logical to permanently have one installed.

I found a hitch mounted winch assembly, bought it from a buddy of mine for an excellent price so I included some pics prior to the install:

7d97e6d5.png

2efe49a2.png

I do have a question, cause I want to wire the winch up to one of my 30 amp switches...my big question is and I highly doubt it, but is the 30amp switch sufficient to operate the winch at full load? On their site they show the winch pulling close to 500 amps at full load..kinda confused how people are wiring these winches to our current in place on board switches..would be awesome if it can, and it will be dead easy to wire in place if so!

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I decided to kick off another project for my raptor before off road season kicks off here soon.

One thing I really wanted last year was a winch, but what prevented me from installing one, was the added weight and the gaudy look to my truck...ultimately it's not logical to permanently have one installed.

I found a hitch mounted winch assembly, bought it from a buddy of mine for an excellent price so I included some pics prior to the install:

7d97e6d5.png

2efe49a2.png

I do have a question, cause I want to wire the winch up to one of my 30 amp switches...my big question is and I highly doubt it, but is the 30amp switch sufficient to operate the winch at full load? On their site they show the winch pulling close to 500 amps at full load..kinda confused how people are wiring these winches to our current in place on board switches..would be awesome if it can, and it will be dead easy to wire in place if so!

On my F350 I used a quick connect to the battery for the removable winch. I also have the plug in for jumper cables with the quick connect.

Amazon.com: Superwinch 2008 Trailer Wiring Kit: Automotive

Just rewired the winch for the quick connect. Took me all of 10 minutes to install and I can move the winch from the back to the front if need be. (I have a receiver hitch in my front bumper)

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all that already, but I want to wire it to my switch in the truck so I can operate it while I'm inside and not using some controller.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hard wire a plug to the rear via your aux switches, and when you plug the end of the winch in it, you are ready to do what you wanna do..

you may also wanna have the ability to operate the winch outside the vehicle just in case you need to see whats what.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I have all that already, but I want to wire it to my switch in the truck so I can operate it while I'm inside and not using some controller.

The Aux switches will not operate the winch. It can send power to the winch but you will have to use the winch controls to actually operate the winch.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Aux switches will not operate the winch. It can send power to the winch but you will have to use the winch controls to actually operate the winch.

Got it..you can utilize the two 30 amp switches to operate the out and in function and run the remote cable to the front which the pendant cable is 15 feet in length.

But I'm still concerned how many amps these winches induce.

OP
OP
J

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with warn, the pendant only but draws maybe even 3 amps at most from what they explained. I am buying an extra pendant for 50 bucks online and using current one and just remove wires from it and trace along the frame so I can have the option to do both in and out of the truck..

That wireless pendant is 180 dollars..and it's nice sitting in the truck and actuating a switch for in or out functions...or if I want I can simply plug in my other pendant and operate outside...I have to run the power cable to the front to connect to the battery so I can run this in conjunction with.

Gonna be nice. Now I just need some time to play...hopefully I will have time in the next 2 weeks to get it done!

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructions for the quick connect lead directly to the battery.. Dont believe a fuse is needed or to go through the AUX relay switches. a few pics of my set up

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Vettster

Reaction score
The instructions for the quick connect lead directly to the battery.. Dont believe a fuse is needed or to go through the AUX relay switches. a few pics of my set up

Looks Good Yo,
Who's front mount?
I have a Warn winch with a similar cradle left over from my H2 that looks a lot like yours.
The kit they (Warn) sells has a solenoid that one of the aux switches could be wired to. The power cables for the winch run from the solenoid to the front and rear of the vehicle and have quick connects. I will have to check and see what the amperage requirements are but I think they would be minimal as all you are powering is the solenoid.
As far as controlling the winch, you would need to either use the regular wired control or the wireless one.

Jesse: Where in Wyoming do you live? I spent 20+ years living and working out of Casper. Excellent 4wd country!

Last edited: