recommend trails in southwest Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossRaptor

Reaction score
Im going to be in the southwest Colorado area near Telluride and Ouray in a few weeks. Could anyone recommend some Raptor friendly trails? Black Bear might be a little too tight for a Raptor . I was thinking Engineer Pass and a few others. Any suggestions I would appreciate.

Last edited:

cmacclel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to be in the southwest Colorado area near Telluride and Ouray in a few weeks. Could anyone recommend some Raptor friendly trails? Black Bear might be a little too tight for a Raptor . I was thinking Engineer Pass and a few others. Any suggestions I would appreciate.
I'd recommend the San Juan Mountains, CO Expedition route, Alpine Loop, and Imogene Pass trail. These trails offer a mix of off-road driving and scenic views. If you're looking for something more relaxed, Corkscrew Gulch is a great option. Engineer Pass is doable, but it's more challenging and requires experience. Black Bear Pass might be too tight, so it's best to avoid it.

OP
OP
B

BossRaptor

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your feedback. Im gonna take you all up on your recommendations . I haven't been on these trails in a very, very long time . And that was many years ago in my uncles Cj-7. Looking forward to getting out of this nasty AZ heat. Its been hot as balls all summer long here. Record highs . With another month or so of this shit. As a firefighter were out this heat and it gets depressing by this time of year for sure.

Aurik

Reaction score
I've been on Ophir Pass, and that's really cool. You'll also want to check out the bridal veil falls above Telluride. It's an out-and-back with some really cool photo ops.

zamojers

Reaction score
I completed Imogene in July. It was my first time off-roading and off-roading the Raptor. I felt it was fairly straight forward and many on the mountain were always willing to help or give advice. I will say, my nerves were high the entire time, and my heart rate never dropped below 100, but it was a blast! Looking back, I would probably only take the trail from Ouray to Telluride based on ascent and decent grades. Passing wasn't horrible, but usually meant you were always spotting for oncoming traffic and finding turns with plenty of run-off. There are a few straights that allow two vehicles, but this means running up a bit of the cliff if it isn't too steep in the area.

Based on another person I know that just went, he said Imogene was close due to washout. So check that link that SimpleJack shared.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completed Imogene in July. It was my first time off-roading and off-roading the Raptor. I felt it was fairly straight forward and many on the mountain were always willing to help or give advice. I will say, my nerves were high the entire time, and my heart rate never dropped below 100, but it was a blast! Looking back, I would probably only take the trail from Ouray to Telluride based on ascent and decent grades. Passing wasn't horrible, but usually meant you were always spotting for oncoming traffic and finding turns with plenty of run-off. There are a few straights that allow two vehicles, but this means running up a bit of the cliff if it isn't too steep in the area.

Based on another person I know that just went, he said Imogene was close due to washout. So check that link that SimpleJack shared.

Last time I did Imogene was October and there was plenty of snow on top causing treacherous conditions. I about slid the Raptor down the north side from the top.

There were also two 4Runner rigs that were stuck on a steep icy incline, and a Silverado pickup that had been stuck there for two days. Point being, time of the season matters for what kind of snow/ice conditions there are.