Raptor Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so the 22 expedition has a stealth performance package with an upgraded 3.5 making 440hp is that an HO? @FordTechOne ordered it on my wife’s that has a blend date of today (Sunday) lol
That’s a good question. They call it out as a High Output version on Ford’s website, but it’s down 10HP to the Raptor. May have to do with exhaust routing and the independent rear suspension, but that’s just a guess.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a good question. They call it out as a High Output version on Ford’s website, but it’s down 10HP to the Raptor. May have to do with exhaust routing and the independent rear suspension, but that’s just a guess.

Spark plugs for the 2022 Expedition H.O. are SP-578 & 2021+ Raptor uses SP-596. I bet that's 10hp:Big Laugh:

Ordered my wife one as well to upgrade from the Explorer ST. 2 kids/car seats, a spoiled beagle and luggage will make the ST a tight fit for trips. I'm actually nervous because my wife tends to drive "aggressive" meaning she gets 20mpg and I can get 25mpg on the same road trip.

BellHeli407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m more looking at the fact a loaded expedition is like 85k lol it’s got 10k on my Raptor. Hopefully It doesn’t clunk like my Raptor does lol

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saying 600whp is a safe limit assumes you’re tuned safely, and if you are, 600whp is impossible on factory turbos.

The tunes you’re referring to reach a “safe” threshold not because of the limits of the short block, but because the pressure ratio you’re pushing the stock turbos to takes you right to the knock threshold on pump gas. Run E50 or E85 and that knock threshold will be higher, so you can run more boost and/or timing and make more power.

Once the stock turbos are at their limit they’re pushing mostly hot air and making so much excessive heat at those boost pressures that timing has to be reduced to avoid knock. The tuning companies like Cobb, etc., need to leave a fair amount of power on the table to account for variability between individual motors and infinite environmental factors. This is why you get an even bigger bump going to a custom pro tune like from Goose, the tune is bespoke to your specific truck, fuel, and environment.

If someone made a kit to strap 2 BorgWarner EFR 7163 turbos on a 3.5eb, I bet you could pretty easily hit 600whp with less than 20 psi of boost. At that boost pressure those turbos would barely be working hard, you could keep pushing it until you blew the motor, then you’d really know the true limit of what the 3.5 bottom end can handle.

Thanks for that explanation, really helped me out as someone who has no experience tuning. For someone like me who is just looking to get the most out of stock turbos on pump gas, sounds like I won’t have anything to worry about so long as the tuner I go with keep my charge air temps in check with no potential for knock after a hot day in the sand. The livernois tune is looking even better now, really wish cobb would release something for @GooseTuned to play around with.