Raptor diet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what is everyone feeding their Raptor and how often?

I have chosen to stick with the Motorcraft 5w-20 Synblend and Ford Racing oil filter. Changed every 3000 miles along with tire rotation every 3000 miles. Tires are looking good with nearly 9500 miles on them.:racing:

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Nothing fancy for me, I'll be going with the good ol' Motorcraft 5w-20 and FL-820 filter and probably do a 5k interval.....with tire rotation too of course.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Full synthetic from the dealership...assuming it's Motorcraft. Changed at 1250 miles and still on the same oil at 3300 miles.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with Motorcraft 5w-20 Semi-Synth at 5000 miles... and definitely the Motorcraft FL820S filter due to the special "thread end" location silicon anti-drainback valve that I hear is important for these engines...

I might try the Ford Racing version of the oil filter but I'm not sure if it would be an advantage or disadvantage without seeing specs. Almost always "racing" filters have thicker housing, etc for higher burst pressures but *sometimes* "racing" filters also sacrifice filtering ability to reduce flow restriction. My guess is that this is not the case with the Ford Racing filter but at 3 times the cost I'd want to know what I'm buying. Anybody have actual filtering efficiency specs on the Motorcraft filters?

The best info I could find is at the link below and there is some controversy over whether the FL820S specs are "minimum required to meet Ford requirements" or "actual filtering ability".

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with Motorcraft 5w-20 Semi-Synth at 5000 miles... and definitely the Motorcraft FL820S filter due to the special "thread end" location silicon anti-drainback valve that I hear is important for these engines...

I might try the Ford Racing version of the oil filter but I'm not sure if it would be an advantage or disadvantage without seeing specs. Almost always "racing" filters have thicker housing, etc for higher burst pressures but *sometimes* "racing" filters also sacrifice filtering ability to reduce flow restriction. My guess is that this is not the case with the Ford Racing filter but at 3 times the cost I'd want to know what I'm buying. Anybody have actual filtering efficiency specs on the Motorcraft filters?

The best info I could find is at the link below and there is some controversy over whether the FL820S specs are "minimum required to meet Ford requirements" or "actual filtering ability".

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

That was some interesting info Mark. I use the FR filter simply for the fact that it has approximately 50% more filtering media than the standard 820S. I know the micron rating is different as well but don't have the exact numbers. I will try and get those and get back with them. Yes the housing is sturdier than that of the standard 820S and you can certainly tell that by holding them together. The FR version is substantially heavier. If I were using a high output racing type oil pump this might be an advantage, but I'm not so there is certainly no advatage to a higher burst strength.

Anyway, just my .02

Reaction score
fords racing fl820 filter filter 20u @99% absolute.bypass is 17-24psi...flow is 3gpm@ psid 2.5,5.6psid@10gpm, 7.3psid @ 13gpm. hope this helps...reg fl820 filters 20u @ 80%absolute, bpv is12-18psi

Reaction score
i would never use any paper filter!! i use stainless steel and stainless steel mesh to catch it all!!! nothing gets pass these. flows for instance, what a paper filter flows 3 gals a stainless steel filter flows 20 gals/min.all paper let up too 300u of trash through especially when gets hot...