R Alternatives - What would you consider?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't have my gen 2 anymore, but have and love my '21 gen 3 PP. I haven't driven an RS6, but I'm pretty infatuated with the power/wide-body/practicality of it. The R upgrade was predicted on me selling the gen 3, but maybe keeping my 37 and jumping for the RS6 would be the ultimate outcome but with a hefty additional amount of cash.
My quick take on your options:

RS6: Awesome looking (looks very sinister all blacked out), and stupid fast. Handles pretty nice. Reasonably comfortable ride, although you won't mistake it for an S-class Mercedes. Only downside is the interior isn't very "fancy" for a $130K-$140K car. I tried to talk my wife into one of these as a second vehicle, and she wasn't interested in it mainly due to the interior. Nice, but not MB quality. These cars sound insane with no cats and a tune. Kiss your warranty goodbye, of course.

TRX: I've decided on this as my reasonable compromise to a Raptor R. Ride quality is 90%-95% as good as the R, and I think the interior is nicer on the TRX. If they were the same price, I might opt for the Raptor R, but since ADM pushes most R pricing north of $140K, the TRX at ~$105K loaded is really an easy choice. I've owned an R, and now on my 7th TRX. Just couldn't justify the extra expense of the R compared to what I get with a TRX. If you can pick up a '23 TRX on a dealer lot at sticker (maybe even a couple grand off) then I'd suggest you jump on it. '24s are going to be limited more than likely, and there is another price increase on them pushing the truck north of $110-$115K loaded. Supposedly no more V8 after '24 either.

Gen 3 with 37s. Bang for the buck (ie, under $100K), these are still a great option. Not as quick as a Raptor R, but honestly the ride quality is great, and for the price it's tough to justify the extra expense of the R. You obviously have one, so you already know it's a nice truck.

Your thoughts of adding an RS6 and keeping the Gen 3 PP isn't a bad idea. Just depends if you want the extra cash outlay, and have a place to park an additional vehicle. All of that being said, I have another R on order, and it's going to be interesting (to me at least) to see if I think keeping that R and selling the current TRX is going to be worth the extra $ for the R. Last time I decided to sell the R and get another TRX.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, no suggestions of a Range Rover V8? Very capable on and off road, Luxury, etc.

Audi? Forget it. Porsche all the way.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
My quick take on your options:

RS6: Awesome looking (looks very sinister all blacked out), and stupid fast. Handles pretty nice. Reasonably comfortable ride, although you won't mistake it for an S-class Mercedes. Only downside is the interior isn't very "fancy" for a $130K-$140K car. I tried to talk my wife into one of these as a second vehicle, and she wasn't interested in it mainly due to the interior. Nice, but not MB quality. These cars sound insane with no cats and a tune. Kiss your warranty goodbye, of course.

TRX: I've decided on this as my reasonable compromise to a Raptor R. Ride quality is 90%-95% as good as the R, and I think the interior is nicer on the TRX. If they were the same price, I might opt for the Raptor R, but since ADM pushes most R pricing north of $140K, the TRX at ~$105K loaded is really an easy choice. I've owned an R, and now on my 7th TRX. Just couldn't justify the extra expense of the R compared to what I get with a TRX. If you can pick up a '23 TRX on a dealer lot at sticker (maybe even a couple grand off) then I'd suggest you jump on it. '24s are going to be limited more than likely, and there is another price increase on them pushing the truck north of $110-$115K loaded. Supposedly no more V8 after '24 either.

Gen 3 with 37s. Bang for the buck (ie, under $100K), these are still a great option. Not as quick as a Raptor R, but honestly the ride quality is great, and for the price it's tough to justify the extra expense of the R. You obviously have one, so you already know it's a nice truck.

Your thoughts of adding an RS6 and keeping the Gen 3 PP isn't a bad idea. Just depends if you want the extra cash outlay, and have a place to park an additional vehicle. All of that being said, I have another R on order, and it's going to be interesting (to me at least) to see if I think keeping that R and selling the current TRX is going to be worth the extra $ for the R. Last time I decided to sell the R and get another TRX.
Did I read this correctly? You are on your 7th TRX?

clemsondds

Reaction score
Yeh I was a little confused by this as well. He also had an R already. Then went back to a trx and now has another r on order?? Bro, I can’t even get one R lol. Don’t take this the wrong way but are you just using them for a little bit and then flipping them for the added cash? Just can’t figure out how/why you would go through that many. Again, not judging you…shoot if you can do it then more power to ya.

cptnslo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious also, how have you had 7? What’s the reason for having more than 2 maybe 3 over their current production run

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, on my 7th one now.
Yeh I was a little confused by this as well. He also had an R already. Then went back to a trx and now has another r on order?? Bro, I can’t even get one R lol. Don’t take this the wrong way but are you just using them for a little bit and then flipping them for the added cash? Just can’t figure out how/why you would go through that many. Again, not judging you…shoot if you can do it then more power to ya.
Kind of a long story, but I've sold them all for various reasons over the past few years since they came out. I've had two '21s, three '22s, and two '23s. One was specifically a flip for profit, one I let go to help a buddy out that need inventory at his dealership, a couple I got offers that didn't make sense not to sell, one was a hold over until my R showed up, so I sold that when the R came. After having the R I decided it wasn't worth the price difference, and my first '23 TRX custom order was in production, so I sold the R. Got the new TRX built out just like I wanted it, and another buddy wanted it (his son egged hiim on), so I let him have it. Then I wanted to find something to replace that, so bought a used one. My wife didn't love the options on that truck, so I sold it. I was casually looking for the right one when a dealer I work with called me about a new one that just landed that he would let me have under MSRP. Pulled the trigger on that one, and I plan to keep and drive it. However, my R order is still open (I assume rolling into a '24), so it's possible I'll sell this TRX and build the R similar to my Gen 2 (carbon fenders, 40" tires, suspension, etc.), and keep that as a long term truck. I enjoy building these things up and driving them. If someone offers the right price I let them go. I can always find another one to build!

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Each scenario had some different circumstances. Some had sales tax, others I used trade in credits from in and outs of other vehicles.

BigBlue20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I signed up for this Raptor Forum I thought it was for people that loved their Ford Raptors, and had a loyalty to the Ford brand. Lately I’ve been thinking it should be renamed “Impressive Vehicles to make your neighbors envious”, or just “The One-Upsmanship Forum”. I realize that may not be fair to many others here, but it does fit many of the more conspicuous consumers. Maybe if there were $100k ADMs our Trucks would be even more exclusive?

I’ve been a Motorhead all my life, even when it meant you had to build your own Hot Rod, Truck or whatever in order to stand out, or go faster than someone else. Then Barrett Jackson and insane $$$ hit the hobby, and guys that didn’t know a flat head from a Hemi, nor had any clue about anything automotive, other than that “as long as it was expensive, it had to be good” ruined the old car hobby for many. I guess it’s all just “stuff” to some, and the more expensive, the better. Too bad! Sorry for my venting, but it’s my opinion, and yours may vary.

clemsondds

Reaction score
When I signed up for this Raptor Forum I thought it was for people that loved their Ford Raptors, and had a loyalty to the Ford brand. Lately I’ve been thinking it should be renamed “Impressive Vehicles to make your neighbors envious”, or just “The One-Upsmanship Forum”. I realize that may not be fair to many others here, but it does fit many of the more conspicuous consumers. Maybe if there were $100k ADMs our Trucks would be even more exclusive?

I’ve been a Motorhead all my life, even when it meant you had to build your own Hot Rod, Truck or whatever in order to stand out, or go faster than someone else. Then Barrett Jackson and insane $$$ hit the hobby, and guys that didn’t know a flat head from a Hemi, nor had any clue about anything automotive, other than that “as long as it was expensive, it had to be good” ruined the old car hobby for many. I guess it’s all just “stuff” to some, and the more expensive, the better. Too bad! Sorry for my venting, but it’s my opinion, and yours may vary.
In this forum...there are threads. And each thread has a title...if the title doesn't sound like something you would be interested in...then maybe don't read it. I understand your frustration, but the thread is literally titled "raptor r alternatives..."