Pulling out a stuck Vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nd3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of pulling people out.. nature of the beast when you are in a hunting club in the South.. I agree with the guys that mentioned 4hi and using a snatch (kinetic) strap.. Notice how I pull the rope taught and then back up a couple of feet and then let it eat!! This truck was on the frame so there was no pulling it directly with a regular strap as you can see.. plus my truck was still on stock tires.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Like I said in post depends what conditions are, but personally where I live (New England) I’m pulling folks in cars that have perched themselves on top of hard packed snow banks or SUV’s/trucks in literal ditches 90% of the time in snowy/icy conditions & often while snow is coming down. So usually I’m in a situation where I HAVE to be turning the wheelin fairly tight angles while hubs are locked- 4wd lo just puts more stress on everything in that situation & usually I’m using nylon or kinetic strap as others mentioned.

If I were pulling someone in a very steep decline like a boat ramp or in loose gravel/rock/mud in a place where I had the room to keep my steering wheel mostly straight & could rely on getting enough traction to just let the torque do the work before crazy wheel slippage then yeah I’d use low.

In winter conditions I described above you will get too much slippage & not enoughpower.

Side note- reminds me I found the raptors behavior in very slippery conditions much more particulars about drive modes. For instance in a snow/ice 6-8” covered gravel parking area w/ tire track ruts frozen in place I could NOT get raptor going in 2wd or even 4wd hi (normal D) w/o turning off traction control and/or locking diff or switching to “weather” & 4hi not 4a - seems like the stability/traction control cut in way too quick & whole system goes bonkers. My GM would go gutless also in 4A unless both traction & stability control is off- but when locked into 4hi or lo the traction control I think automatically shuts off. The raptor tires also don’t help in certain winter conditions, but I do feel it’s very sensitive regarding those settings

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it honestly depends on the kind of strap you are using.

If it is a kinetic rope, yes, 4wd high. a little bit of slack, then a quick yank. you need more wheel speed more quickly with a kinetic rope. it is a different context on a traditional strap.

If you are using a traditional strap, I'd agree on 4L, but I wouldn't lock the rear dif. put the truck in drive without hitting the gas and let it take the slack out. roll into the throttle and go slow.

Try not to use metal d-rings. The kinetic shackles work just as well and aren't anywhere close to as dangerous if the strap/rope lets go or breaks.

If you are using metal shackles/d-rings, throw a jacket or winch weight over them. make sure that no bystanders are within the radius that the strap would reach.

Stuck trucks are never a good reason to go to the hospital or die.

So with that said, which type do you recommend? Seems like most recommend the kinetic, as it is generally safer (or so it is claimed).

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
So with that said, which type do you recommend? Seems like most recommend the kinetic, as it is generally safer (or so it is claimed).

I carry a kinetic bubba rope, 4 kinetic soft shackles, and if i'm out by myself, I carry one of those warn battery powered 1000 lb port-a-winches.

If you are going someplace where things are tight trail-wise, carrying a traditional strap might be better.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I do a lot of pulling people out.. nature of the beast when you are in a hunting club in the South.. I agree with the guys that mentioned 4hi and using a snatch (kinetic) strap.. Notice how I pull the rope taught and then back up a couple of feet and then let it eat!! This truck was on the frame so there was no pulling it directly with a regular strap as you can see.. plus my truck was still on stock tires.

Same here I do a lot of recoveries at Oceano Dunes SVRA and with my kinetic rope and I never had to go to 4 Low. 4 High with the rear diff locked has always been enough since I'm usually at 12psi on the dunes and my Raptor has a lot of traction out there to the point that most of the time I play in 2WD :)

@rtmozingo take a look at Freedom Ropes (https://freedomropes.com/)

They have great deals on their ropes and soft shackles. They are sponsors for ROC and will give a really good discount for Raptor owners... Talk with Lea or Danny at (805) 550-4370 and mention ROC (or Patrick).

--

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I carry a kinetic bubba rope, 4 kinetic soft shackles, and if i'm out by myself, I carry one of those warn battery powered 1000 lb port-a-winches.

If you are going someplace where things are tight trail-wise, carrying a traditional strap might be better.

Excellent, that was what I was leaning towards. Mind sharing your port-a-winch setup and mount points? Would have thrown one on the front bumper but didn't want to relocate my IC.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Excellent, that was what I was leaning towards. Mind sharing your port-a-winch setup and mount points? Would have thrown one on the front bumper but didn't want to relocate my IC.

its just one of the little pullzall battery powered units.

Its good for 1000 lbs, or 2500 with a snatch block. When I do use it, I use it with a set or tredz to get me unstuck enough. ( or to move a trail obstacle )

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its just one of the little pullzall battery powered units.

Its good for 1000 lbs, or 2500 with a snatch block. When I do use it, I use it with a set or tredz to get me unstuck enough. ( or to move a trail obstacle )

Are you not concerned about tugging a 3 ton truck with that? That said, now you've got my eye on this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0166H2V0C/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Course, I can't imagine doing much wheeling that a MaxTrax won't be sufficient for, but I would like to know I've got a winch in case I need it.