PS Pump removal proscess...can anyone map it out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to replace the power steering pump in my '13 seeing I've gotta have it up on lift for an oil change soon anyway. Can anyone that's done it before offer up some tips/tricks to make the process a bit easier?

- Travis

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found it much easier to remove the pulley while its still on the truck. I don't think its necessary but it made life easier..

pretty basic though.. remove belt, remove lines, remove pump and reverse order

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And lots of drain pans, that shit goes everywhere. Long extensions and universals help. Good time to clean the reservoir and screen inside it. Try to get all the air out of the lines before startup (thought I did and it screeched at me like crazy).

raptorman

Reaction score
I was feeling some slight vibration in the wheel, so decided to replace my stock (131K) pump. Man, what a hassle! I have the lines disconnected up top, removed the reservoir, removed the coolant reservoir/air cleaner assembly, and was able to see and remove the top pump bolt (10mm by the way!). Now, I can't even see the bottom bolt! Hell, I can barely get my fat old finger down there to touch it! Thought maybe if I removed the driver's side wheel I could access it, but didn't help. I got on the Forum to hopefully find a helpful video, but no luck. I'm headed back outside now to resume, so if I have any helpful hints I'll update this post.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was feeling some slight vibration in the wheel, so decided to replace my stock (131K) pump. Man, what a hassle! I have the lines disconnected up top, removed the reservoir, removed the coolant reservoir/air cleaner assembly, and was able to see and remove the top pump bolt (10mm by the way!). Now, I can't even see the bottom bolt! Hell, I can barely get my fat old finger down there to touch it! Thought maybe if I removed the driver's side wheel I could access it, but didn't help. I got on the Forum to hopefully find a helpful video, but no luck. I'm headed back outside now to resume, so if I have any helpful hints I'll update this post.
It's been a while but yes it's a bitch to get that bolt and I think I got it from underneath...

raptorman

Reaction score
BenBB, thanks for the help.

I was able to get to that last bolt, but I had to remove the pulley. Had to use my smallest 10mm combo wrench, and it went a flat at a time. Definitely had to remove this one last of the 3, as I needed the room created by the pump as it "fell". That damn high pressure hose is smack dab in the way!

Quick summary: remove air filter assembly, skid plate, pump pulley, reservoir to pump hose, top outside bolt, bottom inside bolt, then the booger bottom outside bolt. Then, disconnect the high pressure hose, and remove pump. (I also removed the oil filter since I was changing the oil anyway.)

I replaced with a new Motorcraft pump w/pulley (yes, had to remove the pulley to install, then install after all 3 pump bolts were in), new reservoir and new reservoir to pump hose. Rock Auto prices all in was about $500.00. (I also had to purchase a Harbor Freight pulley remover and metric ratcheting combo wrenches, about $100.00.)

Did this in my driveway. For my skill level, this is definitely not a trailside fix!