P0420 Code Resolutions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my experience, I have performed the desulfurization procedure that Ford published with mixed results. I have seen about 50% of those vehicles return and Ford says immediately put a cat in it. I will say however that I have had customers not want to purchase the Ford cat due to cost and availability and go with a cheaper aftermarket cat and have had very poor results with them.

Ford wants the catalyst oxygen storage value to be under .500, with bad cats I usually see them in the .700-.800 range. With aftermarket cats (cheap ones) I have seen them come back with under 5,000 miles on them with values in the .900 range.

I have not had any experience with some of the "higher end" aftermarket and performance vendors such as SPS to know how they hold up.

Long story short keep "good" gas in it, maintain your truck (poor oil change history can lead to excessive ring wear and other drivability issues) which can lead to catalyst contamination. If you get a P0420 or 430 it wouldn't hurt to try Ford's desulfurization procedure and if it returns (or doesn't help) I would go with a Ford cat or at least a higher quality aftermarket.

-Joe

I don't know who this guy is or what he does, but he knows EXACTLY what he is talking about!!!

Aftermarket cats are hit or miss. At my shop we are all but done dealing with Aftermarket cats.

You get what you pay for!!!

jeffkrgutility

Reaction score
I have 2020 with 95,000 miles. It is goose tuned . Started getting P0420 and P0430. Cleared codes and they came back. Removed tune and the came back within 50 miles. Any ideas what would cause both codes? Could it be gas? Thanks

OP
OP
hunter031789

hunter031789

Reaction score
I have 2020 with 95,000 miles. It is goose tuned . Started getting P0420 and P0430. Cleared codes and they came back. Removed tune and the came back within 50 miles. Any ideas what would cause both codes? Could it be gas? Thanks
My light has stayed off since I cleared it but I have also been trying to routinely do 30mph to 75mph pulls with WOT after the cats warm up as a quasi-desulfurization procedure. Cats are expensive so I would try the desulfurization and cataclean as nikhsub1 suggested before resigning yourself to new cats. I am very interested in Cataclean as I had never heard of it before but it seems to be well regarded for effectiveness.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NachoRaptor37