P0022 with lots of boost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So .. interesting issue. Truck didn't have any CELs or issues but I noticed it was a little sluggy. It's also 110 degrees here in AZ so I thought. No big deal. I did notice on the highway with a touch of gas, I was maxing out the boost gauge. Really fast. Maybe 10 percent throttle from 81mph to 85 and I'm at 22+ psi. Drove it nice home and read some codes when I got home. P0022. I've seen a few codes on this but nothing about boost being overly crazy. Any thoughts?

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So .. interesting issue. Truck didn't have any CELs or issues but I noticed it was a little sluggy. It's also 110 degrees here in AZ so I thought. No big deal. I did notice on the highway with a touch of gas, I was maxing out the boost gauge. Really fast. Maybe 10 percent throttle from 81mph to 85 and I'm at 22+ psi. Drove it nice home and read some codes when I got home. P0022. I've seen a few codes on this but nothing about boost being overly crazy. Any thoughts?
When’s the last time the plugs have been changed or can you pinpoint it too one cylinder and pull that plug?

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a nasty misfire a while ago and did the colder version of Ford's plugs. About 5000 miles ago and fixed the issue.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you ever had cam phasers replaced? This code is related to phasers - could be a solenoid. Have you checked your oil level?

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil good. Never had phasers done. About 2 weeks ago there was a big rattle starting the truck. Since then it's never happened again.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil good. Never had phasers done. About 2 weeks ago there was a big rattle starting the truck. Since then it's never happened again.
Oof. big rattle at start is phasers... but normally phasers don't cause that. My guess is a phaser solenoid but I'm not even sure how to check/diagnose them. @FordTechOne any thoughts?

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hooked up the Ford scan and watched the timing. Nothing is jumping out and the clicking only happened once after sitting a while. I think the oil pressure bled down and was a fluke. As far as the boost.....dunno

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hooked up the Ford scan and watched the timing. Nothing is jumping out and the clicking only happened once after sitting a while. I think the oil pressure bled down and was a fluke. As far as the boost.....dunno
Likely the Bank 2 VCT solenoid 1 is sticking, resulting in oil being routed to the phaser at the incorrect time. I’d recommend replacing that solenoid and re-evaluate.