Ordering with a vehicle to trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mct601

Reaction score
Louisburg is #1 on my list when I go to order, and the rest of the list is the references ya'll have provided on near-invoice/below MSRP Raptors. I currently drive a 2012 Ram R/T. Are these guys good to deal with when it comes to trading in? Are there some better than others? I hope to sell my Ram to maximize when I get out of it, but when the time comes I may have to trade want to make sure I order from a dealer that is going to treat me right on that issue.

Thanks

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've never met a dealer who offered anywhere near what I thought I could trade a vehicle for. Try a private sale first but if you intend on trading if that doesn't work then I'd plan on getting ***** on the trade. Especially if you are getting a really good deal on the Raptor.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MB is right, look at KBB trade in value for your truck, and assume the dealer will give you the lowest of these, or lower.

fenderstratplayer19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, The dealer then can say you are getting the Raptor at or near invoice, so they will give you well below book on the trade. The only way to come out ahead is to sell your Ram yourself and purchase a Raptor after.

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to sell the vehicle privately. You will take a big hit if you trade in specially when buying a vehicle like the Raptor. Dealers know they sell well and whatever you think you are saving on the Raptor it will be taken away on the trade in.

In my case, my previous truck (a 2008 Tundra) was really clean and nearly perfect condition after 5 years and 70k miles. I secured a deal with a buyer before the new truck arrived. About $4k more than what dealerships were offering. Mods I had and the condition of the vehicle will bring you more money on the street.

A few weeks before delivery day my truck was sold and I had financing lined up just to make sure I could pick up my truck on my own terms. When I showed up the financing guy thought he had me, he was being really nice and giving me the "buddy" talk. He threw a high interest rate at me, then I pulled up a pre-approved sheet from my credit union. He was not too happy after that, funny how his attitude changed in a minute.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not always cut and dry when you factor in sales tax on the new vehicle. Check your specific states law. In PA you only pay tax (6%+ depending on which County you reside) on the difference between value of new and value of trade. If you have a decent vehicle to trade then paying less overall tax usually makes up the difference in what extra you would make on a private sale. If you have an old beater to trade then not so much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
I would be trading my '12 Ram, but you guys raise a valid point. I am going to try and private sell before I get the Raptor. I know a dealer in Slidell, LA offered me a damn good trade in on it, but thats because they was trying to stick me in a $68,000 Raptor. So funny, they initially said $17,000 on my trade and $68,000 on the Raptor. I wasnt going to buy anyways, but when I walked out it changed to $20,000 and $62,000 lol

OP
OP
M

mct601

Reaction score
Trust me, me too. If I thought for a second I had to pay that, I would not be in the market for a Raptor at all. You should have seen how they were talking it up, and attempting to justify the "market adjustment". They had no idea I had done my research, and I didnt tell them either. When they heard "23 years old" they did not act enthused at all. Then they heard "paramedic with two jobs and no major bills" they were asking for the keys to my truck. I played the field anyways to see what the numbers could have been, for comedic relief after the test drive.

The Outrage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Profit can be derived from the vehicle's sales price or the trade-in value. Is someone who is purchasing their Raptor "at invoice" but having their trade-in valued at $3,000 under the typical market price really getting a better deal than someone who pays $1,500 over invoice and has their trade-in valued at the typical market price? This is why I'm always skeptical about individuals who boast that they are purchasing desirable vehicles "at invoice" online. Unless the entirety of the deal is shown a single number in-and-of itself is meaningless.

In some states there are tax advantages to trading-in at a dealership, as was described above. If you decide to sell privately, you must ensure you are able to sell the vehicle for the trade-in value plus the additional tax burden of the Raptor in order to simply "break even" on the deal. Additionally, selling privately will cost you time and effort. Your personal valuation of your own time and effort can affect the required sales price as well.