Opinion on buying a 2017 raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He only difference with 2017 vs 2019 and newer is Live Valve Shocks.

Also, some claim the 2017 turbos are smaller. I’ve never confirmed that, nor do I feel like it’s a big enough difference to matter. Even if true.

I bought my 2017 in 2020 with 50k miles purposefully without a sunroof - so no leaks.

I’ve put 70k more on it in 3.5 years. I had phasers done at 115k via an extended warranty ($300 deductible) And I just had the front IWE Hubs replaced at 120k ($300 deductible)

The truck has been solid with just preventative maintenance and a single shock rebuild.
My Raptor brother from another dealer:p. I got a 2017 Mag also sitting at 150k Phasers twice, rear end rebuild all around 100k - 115k and she's been running strong ever since. Regular maintenance and talking to FordTechOne before I even think about bringing it to the dealer for anything. I'll try to get 170k - 200k out of it before a major overhaul, I love my truck so much I'm thinking of purchasing a plot next to mind when tha good lord tells me it's time to go:birgits_tiredcoffee

Coop65

Reaction score
It's a gamble as you really don't know prior owners integrity on how well they maintained it.... I bought my '17 with 94k on it and had to replace the engine at 115k but I believe replacement was due to the stealership I dealt with didn't do the Cam Phaser replacement correctly--- only got about 1000 miles on it after the cam phasers were done and my engine made some metal and ruined the main crankshaft bearing races.... I would be careful with multiple prior owners--- do your research as best you can---