On going drive mode controller problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you find out what it was on yours ? And shouldn’t the dealer be able to tell what it is with all their equipment ? The tech working on my Trk said “ I’m pretty sure it’s the plug on the harness “

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you find out what it was on yours ? And shouldn’t the dealer be able to tell what it is with all their equipment ? The tech working on my Trk said “ I’m pretty sure it’s the plug on the harness “
This all started for me over a year ago where i was offroad, tried to switch drive modes and got denied. then my suspension was full stiff. at the time i believe i had a combo of codes including one from the ATCM that im guessing you have, one from body control module c that had a tsb, and one from the ABS losing connection with the APIM. dealers werent a bunch of help back then so i went down the forscan rabbit hole and figured out how to temporarily remedy the rough ride. after that i continued to get the ABS and BCMC codes until the tsb was done for BCMC, but i still encountered the problem. After that they ordered a VDM replacement and when i got the truck back i redid a ride heigh calibration bc they did it on uneven ground. I was good for a couple of months until last week when i switched drive modes on my commute home, then the next morning my stiff/super bouncy ride was back alogn with the ATCM u2009:9e-08 that fordtechone informed me means the all terrain control module has a ***** optical sensor and needs to be replaced. still waiting on an email back to get scheduled to go back to the dealer. the bouncy stuff ride comes and goes randomly now, almost always pops up if i swithc drive modes.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This all started for me over a year ago where i was offroad, tried to switch drive modes and got denied. then my suspension was full stiff. at the time i believe i had a combo of codes including one from the ATCM that im guessing you have, one from body control module c that had a tsb, and one from the ABS losing connection with the APIM. dealers werent a bunch of help back then so i went down the forscan rabbit hole and figured out how to temporarily remedy the rough ride. after that i continued to get the ABS and BCMC codes until the tsb was done for BCMC, but i still encountered the problem. After that they ordered a VDM replacement and when i got the truck back i redid a ride heigh calibration bc they did it on uneven ground. I was good for a couple of months until last week when i switched drive modes on my commute home, then the next morning my stiff/super bouncy ride was back alogn with the ATCM u2009:9e-08 that fordtechone informed me means the all terrain control module has a ***** optical sensor and needs to be replaced. still waiting on an email back to get scheduled to go back to the dealer. the bouncy stuff ride comes and goes randomly now, almost always pops up if i swithc drive modes.
And by now you probably already know - this will never be right. If you plan on keeping the truck, you’d better have an ESP- which I would strongly suggest you avoid as I’d already be shopping trades to off load this thing.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And by now you probably already know - this will never be right. If you plan on keeping the truck, you’d better have an ESP- which I would strongly suggest you avoid as I’d already be shopping trades to off load this thing.
ive got an order for an RHO lined up... if the next trip or two to the dealer dont solve it im putting the deposit in and getting rid of this thing before warranty goes. its either that or buy kings and delete live valve altogether

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the meantime. Is there a way get these shocks off full stiff?
without forscan try these:
1. put the truck in engineer and test mode. Start the vehicle on a flat surface, put it in neutral, hit the M button to engage manual shifting, you will get a prompt on the dash and click ok. turn off the vehicle. start the vehicle without a foot on the brake, then fully depress the accelerator 3x. you should see ET pop up in the lower right corner of the dash. restart the vehicle. This has worked sometimes for me.
2. disconnect the battery for a while. i havent tried this but i suspect it may reset some modules and temporarily fix your problem

with forscan ive found the following to work:
1. reset VDM
2. then check your rideheight sensors on a flat surface. if the readings are off, then you need to recalibrate your rideheight sensors. put the truck in ET mode and run the recal procedure. The combo of VDM reset and rideheight recal has worked for me 75% of the time. When it doesnt immediately resolve the problem it tends to just magically go back to normal the next day i drive the truck.. that is until it isnt normal again.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
without forscan try these:
1. put the truck in engineer and test mode. Start the vehicle on a flat surface, put it in neutral, hit the M button to engage manual shifting, you will get a prompt on the dash and click ok. turn off the vehicle. start the vehicle without a foot on the brake, then fully depress the accelerator 3x. you should see ET pop up in the lower right corner of the dash. restart the vehicle. This has worked sometimes for me.
2. disconnect the battery for a while. i havent tried this but i suspect it may reset some modules and temporarily fix your problem

with forscan ive found the following to work:
1. reset VDM
2. then check your rideheight sensors on a flat surface. if the readings are off, then you need to recalibrate your rideheight sensors. put the truck in ET mode and run the recal procedure. The combo of VDM reset and rideheight recal has worked for me 75% of the time. When it doesnt immediately resolve the problem it tends to just magically go back to normal the next day i drive the truck.. that is until it isnt normal again.
Did you mean “ attempt to start the truck without a foot on the brake “? Because you can’t start the truck with out a foot on the brake.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried. I didn’t see the ET
make sure you click ok when you put it in neutral then hit M button. then turn off ignition then hit power button on again without foot on brake. quickly depress accel fully 3 seperate times. it should pop up on the screen a second or two after that