Not cool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MQZ

MQZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first told $1,000 to repair and paint... until they realized it was aluminum. Said the aluminum can't be manipulated and repaired. Need a new gate. Waiting for estimate. My research found a tailgate shell that runs $475 which requires swapping everything over if possible, paint, line-x touch up. Color matched shell is $1100 plus above. Moving towards insurance claim once I receive estimate.

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Over $1500 would be robbery
Remove/install Tailgate step, remove & re-install applique, same for badging, paint, etc.

From the view of an insurance adjuster (which is my day job), im pretty confident our appraisal software would put this in the 2500-3000 range.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Insurance claim, sure over $1500 but i wouldnt pay more than that out of pocket.

I would say back in the day front or rear bumper repaint was like $500 nowadays $1000. Prolly double for insurance

OP
OP
MQZ

MQZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update to share on dent...
PDR couldn't help and most wouldn't due to aluminum and strength of such. One guy came out and started but wouldn't triumph with any repair. I even went in after PDR guy and used pressing tools and messed it up good with paint cracks and further uneven bulges. So I gave up and focused on a new shell.

Again, the shell unpainted was around $800 shipped. Shell color matched was $1500 shipped after researching more. These options did not include labor to swap parts. I almost bought one but wanted to check body shops one last time.

I ended up going to a shop who said they could fix no problem and did just that. No bonding material, repainted whole gate with them even removing and retaping applique. Looks new untouched. $900 cash... done. I was shown how Line x sprayed all inside tailgate shell cavities and coated wires and sensors and motor for power gate... so one of the sensors for flex step lock wasn't catching well when closed. But was an easy fix. They corrected that also.

So it is possible to fix outside of a PDR pop up or shell swap. Body shop did it... was surprised.

Appreciate all the direction and advice.